Multiterm 2009 / Windows 7 / 64 bits: new entry crash
Thread poster: Pedro Coral Costa
Pedro Coral Costa  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:44
English to Portuguese
Dec 6, 2010

Hi,

I guess other people are experiencing this problem, but I still haven’t found a solution.

I have Multiterm 2009 working in a Windows 7 64 bits environment. I had no problems with the installation and everything seems to be working fine (including the integration with SDL Trados Studio 2009). However, sometimes (about 4 out of 5 times) when I try to add a new entry it crashes.

I tried to disable the “enable next generation Java Plug-in Option” but the option is shaded and I cannot change it. I ran the command “regedit.exe”and changed the value of “UseNewJavaPlugin” to 0 (I saw this in another forum). But I still have the same problem.

Can anyone help me?

Thanks in advance.

Direct link Reply with quote

Szymon Metkowski  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 09:44
Member (2006)
German to Polish
+ ...
SP3 Dec 6, 2010

Hi Pedro,

I have experienced the same thing until I downloaded and installed the latest service pack (SP3). It seems to be OK on my basic machine now. However the multiterm likes to crash on my laptop when it lacks system ressources.

English to Portuguese
TOPIC STARTER
SP3 installed Dec 6, 2010

Hi,

Thank you for your post.

I did install SP3, so there must be some other problem...

Thanks anyway!

[Edited at 2010-12-06 09:20 GMT]

Giles Watson  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
Java update? Dec 6, 2010

This sounds like a Java-related problem.

Are you using Studio with administrator rights? Currently, SP3 works fine on my Windows 7 64 bit machine if I log on as administrator but in my working Windows user profile the program hangs (is this what you mean by "crash"?) when I try to add terms directly, although I can feed MultiTerm from within Studio without difficulty.

There was no problem with the previous Java release. It seems that we just have to cross our fingers every time a new version of Java comes out.

English to Portuguese
TOPIC STARTER
I am using it with admin rights. Dec 6, 2010

Hi Giles,

Thank you very much for your post. Yes, I am using it with administrator rights.

Yes, when I say "crashes" it simply means it stops working.

The weird thing is that sometimes it works – normally if I run before any other program.

But thank you very much for your tip - I think that will try feeding it from Studio (I tried it once and it worked). However, I've grown accustomed to using Multiterm as a standalone program, since I never managed to get it working with Workbench. Now it’s the other way around, it seems – works with Studio but doesn’t work alone

sellenwright
Local time: 03:44
German to English
MultiTerm 2009 Trados 2009 with Windows 7 64 bits Jan 4, 2011

Did anyone come up with a solution to the ad entry crash problem? I just installed SDL Studio and MultiTerm 2009 on my new Windows 7 system and am having the same problem. I'd love to know if anyone has come up with a solution. I had asked in another location in the forum, but just now found this discussion.

sellenwright
Local time: 03:44
German to English
SDL Trados 2009 Windows 7 64 bit Jan 4, 2011

I found the following answer on another forum:
Could you please check in your Java settings, if the next generation plug-in is allowed or not?
Go to Control panel, chose Java, go to Advanced, click the plus sign beside "Java plug-in" and switch the option there either on or off, depending on the setting you'll find there.

Ii did this and turned off the allowed setting and it worked.
BTW, I also turned off the automatic update setting. Dunno about this version, but in the past, automatic Java updates have been a problem with SDL products.

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Next generation plug-in Jan 4, 2011

This setting also depends on the machine you're running.
In my case the term recognition did work with "Next generation plug-in" activated, ut I still could not add terminology despite trying different settings. I however could fully utilize MultiTerm application.
A new cumulative update is being prepared at the moment, which adresses exactly these problems and should be available soon. Curenty I am one of the beta tester for this update - and I can report, that it looks very promising.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Multiterm 2009 / Windows 7 / 64 bits: new entry crash

Advanced search

Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search