How do you review source in SP3 before propagating to target langs?
Thread poster: Nicolas Martinez

Nicolas Martinez
Local time: 14:57
Dec 6, 2010

In SP2, I used to use the "Open for translation" feature on the source file after using the Project Wizard to create a new project in order to review the source (ensure I chose the right file type settings, lock segments if needed) and then when I was happy with the source, batch copying to all languages using the "Copy to target languages" batch task.

After installing SP3, I can no longer open the source English file for translation after converting it to translatable format as it was possible with SP2. This seems to be only possible after copying to target languages.
SDL Support told me they removed this feature to make the product more robust as it was apparently exploiting a bug.

I'm interested to hear how others deploy projects? I mean you need to be able to review the source before you use it as a template and this clearly seemed like the most straightforward way to do so!

Direct link Reply with quote

Giles Watson  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 15:57
Italian to English
Suggestion accepted Dec 6, 2010

This suggestion has been made several times in the Ideas forum and has been accepted by SDL:

http://ideas.sdl.com/ideas/detail.asp?i=2117

Let's hope it's implemented soon.

Nicolas Martinez
Local time: 14:57
TOPIC STARTER
using source as template to review file type used Dec 6, 2010

I actually meant a feature that allows you to open the source before you use it as a template for the target languages so as to ensure you used the correct file type and locking segments, as you could do in SP2 by selecting the source and clicking on "Open for Translation".

Giles Watson  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 15:57
Italian to English
Ah, I see what you mean now Dec 6, 2010

Sorry about being a bit slow on the uptake there.

You could always ask for it to be reinstated through the Ideas forum.

G.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How do you review source in SP3 before propagating to target langs?

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search