How can I download the .tmx file and translate locally in SDL Studio 2009?
Thread poster: Fredrik Pettersson

Fredrik Pettersson  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
Dec 7, 2010

I am translating a whole handbook now and for the first batch I wasted a lot of time just waiting for the online server (have a slow connection here in mainland China). Each time I have to change page in the online CAT-tool, or when I register my translations, I have to spend a lot of unnecessary time just waiting for the server.

There is an option to download the material to be translated in .tmx format (with the TM applied to the downloaded .tmx file). I tried now in SDL Studio 2009 to create a new project and add this .tmx file, but I'm prompted to add at least one translateable file first.

Is there any way to get a quick start to translate the downloaded .tmx files in SDL Studio 2009?

Direct link Reply with quote

Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Turkey
Local time: 08:57
Member (2006)
English to Turkish
+ ...
DVX Dec 7, 2010

Hi Fredrik,

AFAIK, the only CAT tool capable of translating TMX files is Deja Vu X. I mean it has direct support for TMX files. However, I think you can use XML filter of other CAT tools for translation of TMX files.

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 12:57
Member (2004)
English to Thai
+ ...
T2009 import function Dec 7, 2010

You can create a new TM in T2009 and import (in T2009: Translation memory tab menus) the *.tmx format TM to incorporate with the existing TM in T2009. I almost do this for every new project.

Soonthon Lupkitaro

avsie  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:57
English to French
+ ...
Ask your client Dec 7, 2010

You can't just download the TM from their TM server, translators usually don't have enough access rights for this.

Ask your client to send you an export of the TM in TMX format.

Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Turkey
Local time: 08:57
Member (2006)
English to Turkish
+ ...
TMX is a translatable format Dec 7, 2010

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.) wrote:

You can create a new TM in T2009 and import (in T2009: Translation memory tab menus) the *.tmx format TM to incorporate with the existing TM in T2009. I almost do this for every new project.

Soonthon Lupkitaro

TMX is mainly used for exchange of translation memories but here the question is how to translate it. TMX is a kind of XML file and can be translated at least with DVX.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search