Rotated text in a PDF does not show in Trados 2009
Thread poster: Gail Bond

Gail Bond  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:49
Member (2009)
French to English
Dec 7, 2010

I'm translating a PDF which was created by the client from QuarkXpress. There is quite a lot of slightly rotated text, and none of this text appears when I open the file in Trados Studio 2009.

Any ideas on how I can get it to show up?

Thanks.

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 06:49
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Convert the PDF using any decent PDF converter or OCR software Dec 7, 2010

Studio has nothing else integrated - this is a PDF converter, coming from Solid Converter.
Use Abbyy FineReader for example and controll the process manually.
Do not expect Studio to fulfill wondericon_smile.gif

United Kingdom
Member (2009)
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
But then I'd lose the layout... wouldn't I? Dec 7, 2010

You're right, Jerzy, we do expect wonders!

I could indeed convert the PDF, but then my text would just be in a list, without formatting, wouldn't it? The clever thing about Studio 2009 is the way it exports a PDF into a Word doc, and places the text back in the same position as it was on the PDF. My PDF has text placed in different positions around the page, and the client likes me to provide the translated text so that they can tell where each piece of text was originally located.

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
No, just the opposite Dec 7, 2010

No you won't lose the format, just the opposite! That's what ocr is all about!

Give it a try for free here: http://www.nuance.com/for-business/by-product/pdf/pdfreader/index.htm

You will probably have to rid of extra tags, but you can do that by selecting the whole document in Word and ironing out all character spacing and fonts, or using a code zapper.

HTH
p.s. (nice to exchange more positive comments for a change!)

Giles Watson  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
Why not... Dec 7, 2010

... ask the client to export the QuarkExpress file in a format Studio can handle directly?

There are instructions in the Studio help file.

I haven't worked with QuarkExpress files yet but the results with native InDesign files are excellent and way better than anything you can squeeze out of a PDF. Perhaps some kind soul with direct experience of working with QuarkExpress in Studio will be able to offer some tips.

FarkasAndras
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Educate your client Dec 7, 2010

If you know the file was made with QuarkXpress, then I'm guessing the pdf was made by the client (otherwise they couldn't tell you what tool produced it). We also know that the client doesn't use your translations directly: they cut&paste your text back into whatever final output format they need. If you take a step back, you'll find that this whole process is preposterous: they produce a pdf with QuarkXpress, send it to you, you either import the pdf to studio with the built-in converter or OCR it and read the .doc into an sdlxliff, translate, produce a .doc from the sdlxliff, then they cut and paste from the doc. That's a hell of a lot of unnecessary format conversions, a couple of them lossy, a couple of them manual.
Just ask them to put you into contact with the tech/publishing guy and discuss formats with him, armed with a list of formats studio can handle directly. Both you and your client will be spared a lot of tedious and pointless work and lots of headaches by using the native QuarkXpress files or some other similar format.

[Edited at 2010-12-07 18:58 GMT]

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Can you select the text in Adobe Reader? Dec 7, 2010

The key as to whether an OCR is the best approach is whether you can select that vertical text with the cursor in Adobe Reader. If you can, the text is an object, and you can extract it with many programmes. Personally for PDF files with text objects, the tool that is giving me less formatting trouble after translation is Iceni InFix. Not perfect, but the best tool for reasonably simple PDF files.

[Edited at 2010-12-07 18:23 GMT]

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Original source file is always the BEST approach Dec 7, 2010

and then you have hundreds of ways of making a PDF editable, but those have been discussed here so many times, that I really do not feel it is necessary to repeat them.
I would either ask for the QXP file or for teh QXP export or convert the PDF to text, format it myself and translate in Studio. Either way is a good way as long you can do it without many efforts.

United Kingdom
Member (2009)
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for your advice Dec 7, 2010

@Emma - thanks for the tip, I'll give it a go! I thought scanning software reduced formatted files to plain text - you live and learnicon_smile.gif

@Giles - therein lies the problem, as I have already asked the client to export the QuarkXpress document into a format I can use. They looked into CopyFlowGold but decided it was too expensive, so our only solution was for them to convert it to PDF (for free, of course) so I can open the files in Studio. If you know of any other conversions they could use (free or cheap!), please let me know.

@Tomás - yes, I can select the text with the cursor. I'll have a look at Iceni InFix, thanks.

@Jerzy - I thought Studio didn't support QXP files, that's why they have to be exported with CopyFlowGold?

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
CopyFlow Gold is the solution for Studio Dec 7, 2010

Indeed it is so.
But you have other options:
- ask the customer for doing that
- look on ProZ for a colleague doing that
- do that yourself

Again, dealing with PDF files is never easy and requires mostly specialized tools AND patience with lots of manual work. In any case having the original source is much better, as then you can find a way to get it done easier.

jimshanks
Dutch to English
Warning for those thinking of downloading Nuance PDF reader Dec 9, 2010

Emma Goldsmith wrote:

No you won't lose the format, just the opposite! That's what ocr is all about!

Give it a try for free here: http://www.nuance.com/for-business/by-product/pdf/pdfreader/index.htm

You will probably have to rid of extra tags, but you can do that by selecting the whole document in Word and ironing out all character spacing and fonts, or using a code zapper.

HTH
p.s. (nice to exchange more positive comments for a change!)

Hi All,

following Emma's advice I downloaded a trial of this program. Unfortunately, converting PDFs to another format seems to require uploading the document to Nuance. As most of my work is subject to confidentiality agreements this is not a viable option for me.

It may not be a problem for others, but it is worth being aware of before you download the program.

United Kingdom
Member (2009)
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Yes... but I solved my problem anyway :-) Dec 9, 2010

Hi Jim,

Yes, I discovered this too. Not sure whether that's just for the free demo version...? Anyway, I had a go with Iceni InFix and that seems to be exactly what I was looking for (thanks, Tomás!)

Gail

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Happy to be of help! Dec 9, 2010

Gail Bond wrote:
Yes, I discovered this too. Not sure whether that's just for the free demo version...? Anyway, I had a go with Iceni InFix and that seems to be exactly what I was looking for (thanks, Tomás!)

You are most welcome Gail! InFix is a quite nice tool. However, you will notice that it could be a bit better in some kinds of files. For instance, if you have text with a background image, you will find that sometimes InFix alters the images or asks you if you want to unhide some element. Although it is possible to fix the resulting damages, it takes some work.

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
Apologies! Dec 9, 2010

jimshanks wrote:
following Emma's advice I downloaded a trial of this program. Unfortunately, converting PDFs to another format seems to require uploading the document to Nuance.

Sorry, I didn't realise thaticon_frown.gif I was just trying to find a free version for Gail to experiment with to see how useful OCRs are. In fact, I use Abbyy Finereader and would thoroughly recommend iticon_smile.gif

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Rotated text in a PDF does not show in Trados 2009

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running and helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search