Updating the main TM (Trados Studio 2009 SP2)
Thread poster: Yana Krasovska
Yana Krasovska
English to Russian
+ ...
Dec 8, 2010

Dear colleagues, need some help with a TM issue, as I'm new to this Trados version.
The problem is as follows:
i created a project and in the process of creating it, made a new TM in the folder where i keep all my TMs - that is, outside the project folder.

in the process of translation i kept updating the TM (and it worked). However, after i finished the project and went to check the TM i created in the folder where i keep all my TMs, i was surprised to see the TM i created was empty!
Instead, the program created another TM in the project folder, with the name of the project, and this TM was updated.

I meant to create a dedicated TM to use it in many similar projects... Question: what did i do wrong?

Thanks a lot!

Direct link Reply with quote

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 12:19
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Everything allright Dec 8, 2010

Just use the batch task "Update main Translation Memory" from Project menu.
This bvehavior is pretty normal and desired.
After you finish a project use the Finalize batch task and you will always have your main TM updated.

Yana Krasovska
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
i see now! Dec 8, 2010

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

Just use the batch task "Update main Translation Memory" from Project menu.
This bvehavior is pretty normal and desired.
After you finish a project use the Finalize batch task and you will always have your main TM updated.

i must have misunderstood the relevant Help topic on TMs, i remembered that a TM is updated automatically after a translated segment is confirmed, but it was obviously applicable to a Project TM, not the Main TM.

Thanks a lot for making this clear for me!

FarkasAndras
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Desires Dec 8, 2010

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

This behavior is pretty normal and desired.

Well, it is normal in the sense that it's by design, but I wouldn't say it's necessarily desired. It's not a terrible idea, but it makes the operation of the software incredibly obfuscated. Any first-time user will assume it's updating the TM they told it to update, and it's actually updating a secret TM instead. I'm not sure if I want this feature or not. If it can be disabled and Studio can be coerced to update the TM selected for updating directly, please let me know how.

Anyway, the main reason I posted here is this: my project has one TM that I want to update, and two reference TMs that I only do lookups and concordance on. The project folder contains "project versions" of these two TMs as well. Why? What are these? It's possible that I accidentally set these two TMs to be updated at a certain point somehow and that's when these got created, but I doubt it.

Also, while we are on the subject of odd files in the project folder, what are the two sets of sdlxliff files? For each translatable file, there is an sdlxliff in the source language folder and another one in the target language folder. What are they? Monolingual version in the source folder and the bilingual version including the translation in the target folder?

Also, is there some way of stopping Studio copying the source files in the source folder and generating target files in the target folder on "Finalize"? The copies of the source files are especially useless and baffling. I already have the source files in the folder where I myself placed them. Why Studio feels the need to fill up my HDD with copies it never told me about is beyond me.
(Am I supposed to put the source files in the project's source folder? I may break down and do that if that's what it takes, but I'd rather stick to my usual folder structure as opposed to the ... interesting structure dreamt up by SDL.)

[Edited at 2010-12-08 23:22 GMT]

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
May I suggest you change the tool? Dec 9, 2010

FarkasAndras wrote:

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

Well, it is normal in the sense that it's by design, but I wouldn't say it's necessarily desired. It's not a terrible idea, but it makes the operation of the software incredibly obfuscated. Any first-time user will assume it's updating the TM they told it to update, and it's actually updating a secret TM instead. I'm not sure if I want this feature or not. If it can be disabled and Studio can be coerced to update the TM selected for updating directly, please let me know how.

Anyway, the main reason I posted here is this: my project has one TM that I want to update, and two reference TMs that I only do lookups and concordance on. The project folder contains "project versions" of these two TMs as well. Why? What are these? It's possible that I accidentally set these two TMs to be updated at a certain point somehow and that's when these got created, but I doubt it.

Also, while we are on the subject of odd files in the project folder, what are the two sets of sdlxliff files? For each translatable file, there is an sdlxliff in the source language folder and another one in the target language folder. What are they? Monolingual version in the source folder and the bilingual version including the translation in the target folder?

Also, is there some way of stopping Studio copying the source files in the source folder and generating target files in the target folder on "Finalize"? The copies of the source files are especially useless and baffling. I already have the source files in the folder where I myself placed them. Why Studio feels the need to fill up my HDD with copies it never told me about is beyond me.
(Am I supposed to put the source files in the project's source folder? I may break down and do that if that's what it takes, but I'd rather stick to my usual folder structure as opposed to the ... interesting structure dreamt up by SDL.)

As you correctly stated this is default behavior by design.
If you do not like it, then it is time to change the tool - it is similar to what you have when you buy an Audi. If you don't like the design buy a Mercedes instead.
Working with project TMs has many advantages: they are small and thus working fast. They are within the project and can be send along with the project package (they are small). They get updated with "dirty" translations during the project work, so no errors can be populated into the main TM before you decide the translation is ready and can be used for updating the TM.
You do not like the folder structure Studio proposes? Place the project folder Studio creates withing your own folder structure and get used to it, as there is no way of changing that - either love or leave that. Sorry, but asking why does not make any sense here. Would you as why Mercedes cas do just have one combined switch for headlights, idicators and wiper? It is by design so and since I've ever seen. No way to change that - in Germany people call that the "engineers switch", but I am one and I do not like it. So I will not buy a Mercedes... I would also not buy Across, as it leaves me exactly ZERO controll on file locations...
Please understand me correctly: I will not tell you your way of thinking is wrong, or that Studio is doing everything perfectly right. But it is doing things in Studio way -as simple as that. Either accept that way or leave it.

FarkasAndras
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Getting carried away Dec 9, 2010

You seem to be very heavily invested in Studio somehow. It seems that you take offense if someone suggests that they'd prefer it if Studio did things differently... as if I was questioning some basic tenets of a religion, while all I did was ask if I had any control over what it does.
Instead of the long tirade you could have just written "No, you can't change the behaviour, it seems you'll have to live with the project TMs and the folder structure. I don't know why Studio copies source files in that folder, and I don't know what the two sets of sdlxliff files are. I have no idea what the extra project TMs are." Either way, thanks for the information.

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
And coming back Dec 9, 2010

The answer to your question why I do react this or that way is quite simple: I am getting tired Answering same or similar questions over and over again does not make much fun. And if you say no one forces me, so you are right - I will try to keep my answers for myself in such situations like this.

FarkasAndras
English to Hungarian
+ ...
? Dec 9, 2010

I think I've read all the threads in the SDL support forum in the last 12 months. Not a single one mentioned the folder structure and mandatory file locations apart from one I started a couple of weeks ago, which was somewhat related to this one. I believe asking about this is not too grave an offense - I asked because I don't know how this stuff works, it's not been discussed here yet as far as I can tell and I'm not too thrilled by the thought of wading through the awful documentation.

We get a new thread every week about how to create a TM out of old translations, and how to "open" a TMX with Trados, and how to translate a website, and how to open/generate bilingual doc files with Studio; I can understand if you're not too interested in those at this point. It would be a shame though if you stopped sharing your knowledge on other issues that have never been discussed here.

Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
The linguistic creativity of the Trados GUI designers... Dec 9, 2010

FarkasAndras wrote:

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

Yes, it's possible but not intuitive, as usually.
In the project creation wizard, on the Project Preparation screen, in the listbox, you should select Prepare without project TM instead of Prepare.
Nice?
Then, when the wizard finishes, you can save the project settings as project template and use 'em instead of the default profile, at least in Trados Professional.

Cheers
GG

[Edited at 2010-12-09 12:16 GMT]

Aude Sylvain  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
Prepare without project TM Dec 9, 2010

Grzegorz Gryc wrote:

Yes, it's possible but not intuitive, as usually.
In the project creation wizard, on the Project Preparation screen, in the listbox, you should select Prepare without project TM instead of Prepare.
Nice?
Then, when the wizard finishes, you can save the project settings as project template and use 'em instead of the default profile, at least in Trados Professional.

Cheers
GG

[Edited at 2010-12-09 12:16 GMT]

Hi,
Just to confirm that it is the same in Trados Studio Freelance.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Updating the main TM (Trados Studio 2009 SP2)

Advanced search

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search