Comparing 2009 Pro and 2009 Team versions
Thread poster: Atso Puronen
Atso Puronen
Local time: 22:29
English to Finnish
Dec 8, 2010

Hi,

I'm trying to find out what the benefits would be for my company to upgrade from SDL Trados 2009 Studio to SDL Trados Team.

Current setup:
1. Everyone has SDL Trados 2009 Studio Professional.
2. All our 8 employees work both as translators and project managers (sending projects out)
3. TMs are on a shared file server and are used by all employees simultaneously in varying degree.
4. Translation assets and projects are on a shared file server.
5. Termbases are created and copied to a shared file server and copied to local use when necessary.

Current problems:
1. Two or more people cannot work on the same Trados 2009 project (on different files) simultaneously when using 2009 Professional (Or can they, without major issues?)
2. Other users need to be evicted from a TM before it can be exported or maintenanced (at least in Trados 2007).

All the advertisement material I've found about SDL Trados Team just tells me how it moves locally stored TMs to a server. Well we already have done that!

How would upgrading to Team version improve our current situation? Does it allow us to maintenance and export TMs while they are in use? Does it allow us to work simultaneously on a single 2009 project?

And no, we don't want to start sending project packages to each other. Working on a project with 100 files and lots of internal leverage forces us to split the work across our people and still get real-time leverage from each other. Sending project packages would prevent this.

Would Team be the answer to this? Or is Server version our only solution?

Thanks in advance for any input,
Atso Puronen

Direct link Reply with quote

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 21:29
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
I am curious Dec 8, 2010

Can you tell us what price have you been offered by SDL for the Team edition?

I am interested in comparing the cost with the cost of other CAT teamwork solutions (for instance the one we are successfully using in my 4-people office).

Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Team and Server... only for TMs? Dec 8, 2010

Reading more about the Team and Server products, I cannot help wondering whether these two solutions are only meant for TMs.

Do they support shared projects, shared files, assigning files to different people in the team, joint QA for all files in a project, shared resources (things like customer-specific glossaries, lists of not translatables, QA settings, segmentation settings), etc.?

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
My guess Dec 8, 2010

Do they support shared projects, shared files, assigning files to different people in the team, joint QA for all files in a project, shared resources (things like customer-specific glossaries, lists of not translatables, QA settings, segmentation settings), etc.?

My guess would be that the Team version only supports the access to one and the same TM by multiple members of in-house staff (i.e. over LAN) simultaneously. All other assets can be stored on a server and shared between the staff members easily.

The complete server solution is a different story and includes a TM Server, a MultiTerm Server (accessible over the Internet), and the TMS (Translation Management System). I don't even dare to estimate the costs of this, but I believe that for smaller, in-house setups, the Team solution should be fully sufficient.

Atso Puronen
English to Finnish
TOPIC STARTER
no price point yet Dec 9, 2010

I'm sorry, we haven't asked for a quotation yet on the Team version. Given the fact that SDL hasn't offered us such upgrade automatically makes me think it's reasonably cheaper than bying 9 separate Pro licenses. I'll let you know if/when I get a price point.

Judging from your answers so far I'm not sure if my office would benefit enough from Team version.

Team setup:
#1 ???: allows us to work on shared projects
#2 YES: gives us shared TMs.
#3 ???: gives us the ability to maintain and export TMs while they are in use.

Current setup (Professional version and file server):
#1 NO: allows us to work on shared projects
#2 YES: gives us shared TMs
#3 NO: gives us the ability to maintain and export TMs while they are in use.

I've been trying to find a white paper and more detailed info on Team but have yet to succeed. Maybe I find my answers from SDL website or someone here has the answers. I'm continuing my research and will let you know all my findings.

Lennart Luhtaru  Identity Verified
United States
English to Estonian
+ ...
SDL Dec 9, 2010

Why don't you ask SDL?

Atso Puronen
English to Finnish
TOPIC STARTER
I prefer Dec 9, 2010

I prefer actual user experience over marketing speeches.

Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Our solution Dec 9, 2010

Atso Puronen wrote:
Team setup:

We also were in the same situation when Studio 2009 was launched. Several Professional licenses of Trados, and memories shared on the server. We could not however share termbases (well, we could make copies of them, which was not very useful really). All "project management" was done verbally (you do this, I do that, etc. etc.).

After considering the situation and seeing that a true Server edition of Trados would cost a fortune, we decided to examine other options and came to MemoQ Server (with the Online Documents option). The answers in our case are:
#1 YES: allows us to work on shared projects, and on the same file when we need to, i.e. up to two translators and one editor, or one translator, one editor and one proofreader at the same time, which helps tremendously when files are big and deadlines are tight.
#3 YES: gives us the ability to maintain and export TMs while they are in use.

And may I add:
#4 YES: gives us the ability to share termbases and maintain them while they are in use.
#5 YES: gives us the ability to share different kinds of resources (QA settings, segmentation settings, not-translatables, auto-translatables, etc.)

All in all, for the price we paid, it was a bargain. And works beautifully. Of course you need to overcome the vertigo of venturing into a new tool. We have many Trados-based customers and work on their TTX and SDLXLIFF files with no problem at all with MemoQ (well, the SDLXLIFF filter could need some improvement, although it works alright).

We paid Kilgray roughly the same amount it would have cost us to upgrade our Trados licenses to Studio Professional, and we have a server plus 5 licenses. I don't know how much it would cost you with more licenses (that is all for Kilgray to answer).

I hope this gives you another possibility in your search for a solution for your team!

Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
Unsupported features... memoQ... Dec 9, 2010

Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote:

Atso Puronen wrote:
Team setup:

It's possible (the files are not locked) but unsupported and potentially dangerous (i.e. it's easy to overwrite files by mistake).
The safest approach is to use packages instead (feature available in the Professional version).

We also were in the same situation when Studio 2009 was launched. Several Professional licenses of Trados, and memories shared on the server. We could not however share termbases (well, we could make copies of them, which was not very useful really).

No, it was/is possible to share termbases with Multiterm Desktop 2007/2009.
With MT 2009, you simply point the file.
With MT 2007, it was more tricky (termbases stored over the LAN and MTMaster.mdb synchronization) but worked as a charm.
Of course it was/is unsupported too.

After considering the situation and seeing that a true Server edition of Trados would cost a fortune, we decided to examine other options and came to MemoQ Server (with the Online Documents option). The answers in our case are:
#1 YES: allows us to work on shared projects, and on the same file when we need to,

The memoQ data base driven approach is simply superior to the text based flow used in Trados.
It permits also advanced sorting/filtering features, Trados looks quite primitive here.

i.e. up to two translators and one editor, or one translator, one editor and one proofreader at the same time, which helps tremendously when files are big and deadlines are tight.
#3 YES: gives us the ability to maintain and export TMs while they are in use.

And may I add:
#4 YES: gives us the ability to share termbases and maintain them while they are in use.

And the terminology module works well, unlike Multiterm.
And, unlike Multiterm, it works very well for agglutinative languages like Finnish, Hungarian etc.

#5 YES: gives us the ability to share different kinds of resources (QA settings, segmentation settings, not-translatables, auto-translatables, etc.)

All in all, for the price we paid, it was a bargain. And works beautifully. Of course you need to overcome the vertigo of venturing into a new tool.

The CAT hopping always need some testing

BTW, one of biggest memoQ advantages is the ability to generate files for mixed workflows (e.g. you can create bilingual RTF or XLIFF files for translators using other tools, you can even generate bilingual tables for translators who don't use CATs and import 'em back when translated).

Cheers
GG

French to Polish
+ ...
Team edition pricing Dec 9, 2010

Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote:

Can you tell us what price have you been offered by SDL for the Team edition?

I am interested in comparing the cost with the cost of other CAT teamwork solutions (for instance the one we are successfully using in my 4-people office).

A package containing Studio Team server (limited to 2.5 mln words) and Multiterm Team server (both with 9 CAL licenses) and 5 Studio Professional is now on sales in Poland at 12500 euro (+ VAT).
The official price of this kind of package is approx. two times higher i.e close to 25000 euro (+VAT).

memoQ server with no limitations (no TM size limit, unlimited access licenses) and 5 Professional/Project manager licenses costs approx. 5500 euro (+VAT).

Cheers
GG

ghislandi  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:29
English to Italian
TM Team / MultiTerm Team Dec 9, 2010

Hello
I am from SDL.

WIthout going into pricing or detailed features - I just wanted to make a small correction on one of the points made.

The TM Team and MultiTerm Team edition allow sharing of TM both on a LAN and over the Internet. ie it is possible to share TMs and terminology databases with external users. User management is available to ensure different translators / project managers have access to the right information and data is secure.

In regards to pricing each of the components can be purchased separately and we have offers on all products. Therefore worth contacting us. Prices start at €3,750

Regards
Massi

[Edited at 2010-12-09 10:58 GMT]

[Edited at 2010-12-09 10:59 GMT]

Jose Ruivo  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 20:29
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Specifically? Dec 14, 2010

ghislandi wrote:

all products. Therefore worth contacting us. Prices start at €3,750
Massi

[Edited at 2010-12-09 10:58 GMT]

[Edited at 2010-12-09 10:59 GMT]

And what do you specifically get for 3,750 Euros? I need 2 or more users to share one or more TMs, and one or more glossaries. What would it take for that, and what price please?

And if also wanted users to be able to log in through Internet and share those same TMs and glossaries?

TIA,
José Ruivo

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Sharing Dec 14, 2010

Hi José,

The pricing you are best speaking to Sales about, as they can look at what you need (not what you don't need), and help accordingly. I think you know how to contact Sales but if not let me know.

And if also wanted users to be able to log in through Internet and share those same TMs and glossaries?

Both TM Team and MT Team will allow you to share these resources via LAN or the Internet.

Regards

Paul

French to Polish
+ ...
High prices... workarounds and alternatives... Dec 15, 2010

Jose Ruivo wrote:

ghislandi wrote:

all products. Therefore worth contacting us. Prices start at €3,750
Massi

And what do you specifically get for 3,750 Euros? I need 2 or more users to share one or more TMs, and one or more glossaries. What would it take for that, and what price please?

IMO, in your case, the Trados servers make no sense, your office is too small.
You need only two (or more) Professional licenses.

You should add Trados Team and Multiterm Team, both at €3,750.
IMO it makes no sense, the price is too high.
It's better to use VPN and some remote desktop (the Pro version support also MS RDP) or opt for another CAT tool.
IMO memoQ is the best choice now although it's not the cheapest.
The problem with Wordfast with TM Anywhere is the lack of terminology handling.
The tools like Swordfish used over VPN are better here but may require some deeper IT knowledge (e.g. SQL server configuration).

cheers
GG

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Comparing 2009 Pro and 2009 Team versions

Advanced search

PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search