OpenExchange Applications
Thread poster: SDL Community

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:20
English
Dec 8, 2010

Hi all,

We've mentioned a few times several applications that will make life easier and that will be released through the OpenExchange. We're happy to announce that the first seven applications are now available and these include the SDLXLIFF Converter that will allow you to export your completed translation into Microsoft Word, spell check, grammar check, review and then import the changes back in again.

You can find the first seven applications released here;

http://www.sdl.com/en/language-technology/partners/sdl-openexchange/

There are good facilities to leave feedback against the applications and rate them too, but no doubt you'll find your way around this without any significant help from me. If you have any good ideas for more applications there is a category for this on the ideas site, http://ideas.sdl.com, and you can add them in there.

Kind regards

Paul

Direct link Reply with quote

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
A tip Dec 8, 2010

SDL Support wrote:
Hi all,
We're happy to announce that the first seven applications are now available and these include the SDLXLIFF Converter that will allow you to export your completed translation into Microsoft Word, spell check, grammar check, review and then import the changes back in again.

I can only confirm that SDLXLIFF Converter is simply excellent. Moreover, the reviewer doesn't even have to have Office 2007 or later. I have successfully tested the "Studio > Word 2007 > Word 2003 > Word 2007 > Studio" workflow.

Everything's working like a charm!

[Upraveno: 2010-12-08 19:31 GMT]

Tapsa
Local time: 13:20
English to Finnish
SLXLIFF Converter error Dec 9, 2010

At least in my system (Finnish Vista 32 + latest Studio SP3 patches + some Nokia software) the conversion does not work.

After adding files (tried with tens of projects and single files) and hitting the Convert button, I get every time the following (mainly Finnish) error message:

Tiedostoa tai kokoonpanoa DocumentFormat.OpenXml,
Version=2.0.5022.0, Culture= neutral,
PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35 tai jotakin sen riippuvuutta ei voi
ladata. Määritettyä tiedostoa ei löydy.
Do you want to continue conversion (problematic file will be skipped).

So, the Converter is useless for me until this is fixed

Susanne Rieg  Identity Verified
English to German
+ ...
Had this error too, Dec 9, 2010

and could only get the Converter to work by installing "OpenXMLSDKv2.msi" from thins link:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyId=C6E744E5-36E9-45F5-8D8C-331DF206E0D0&displaylang=en

Now it works great, except for some files where it fails with:

", hexadecimal value 0x1E, is an invalid character.
Do you want to continue conversion (problematic file will be skipped).

United Kingdom
English
TOPIC STARTER
On the errors Dec 9, 2010

@Tapsa

Hi Tapsa,

Did you install the "OpenXMLSDKv2.msi", and install before you install the application itself? This is a prerequisite because it allows the application to work whether you have Microsoft Office installed or not. This means it doesn't matter whether you are using Office 2000 through Office 2010, you can still use the application to create the export documents.... you will need Office to work on them though

@Susanne

Hi Susanne,

Can I see the file you are having a problem with? You can mail me at pfilkin@sdl.com

Regards

Paul

Mette Melchior  Identity Verified
Sweden
English to Danish
+ ...
Good initiative with the converter tool! Dec 9, 2010

This will definitely be helpful for revision purposes.

Adam Łobatiuk  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2009)
English to Polish
+ ...
Make the SDK's/API's more accessible Dec 9, 2010

I'm not a developer, but I've managed to write some scripts and macros that help me do specific tasks with Trados 2007. I really wish your API's/SDK's were available without having to register as a developer, so that people who don't consider themselves developers could see if they could go with them anywhere. If they are successful, they could consider registering and selling their apps through your platform as well.

Tapsa
Local time: 13:20
English to Finnish
Thank you Susanne and Paul Dec 9, 2010

Like a rabbit in spring, I was happily getting all the goodies without even noticing any installation instructions

Now it works

Thnx again, both of you!

English to German
+ ...
Thanks Paul Dec 9, 2010

SDL Support wrote:

[Can I see the file you are having a problem with? You can mail me at pfilkin@sdl.com

Paul

No neen, as I have already found the culprate. There are two non-breaking hyphens in the source text (docx - Word 2007):

5-Sterne-Hotel

If you look at them in the sdlxliff (in an xml-Editor - in Studio, they do not show at all) they look like this:

5 & # x 1 ESterne& # x 1 E Hotel
(I had to insert blanks here, so they show in this post and are not interpreted as characters)

Once changed, the problem was gone. But how can this issue be avoided?

[Bearbeitet am 2010-12-09 11:00 GMT]

United Kingdom
English
TOPIC STARTER
Avoiding the problem Dec 9, 2010

Susanne Rieg wrote:

No need, as I have already found the culprate. There are two non-breaking hyphens in the source text (docx - Word 2007):

5-Sterne-Hotel

If you look at them in the sdlxliff (in an xml-Editor - in Studio, they do not show at all) they look like this:

5 & # x 1 ESterne& # x 1 E Hotel
(I had to insert blanks here, so they show in this post and are not interpreted as characters)

Once changed, the problem was gone. But how can this issue be avoided?

Hi Susanne,

I created a quick test document like this;

The [PF] parts were added in Word and imported back in. I also don't see what you see in the sdlxliff. Maybe you can send me the source document, or at least the offending part of it, and then we can see how we go about avoiding it. My problem at present is that I have no problem to avoid..!

Regards

Paul

English to German
+ ...
Got it! Dec 9, 2010

It was a filter settings problem.

The document was not docx, it was Word 2003 doc. I checked the "Other settings" for Word 2000-2003 (both in Tools Options and for the Project) and found "Treat special characters as inline placeholder tags" not activated. Is this the default? It should not be. I cannot remember changing it.

In the Word 2007-2010 filter this was activated, which is why the usual Word 2007 documents I receive never posed a problem.

I now have this activated for both filters.

BTW, this also is a problem when importing legacy memories which do not have non-breaking hyphens tagged (and probably some other special characters XML does not like).

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
sdlxliff converter: import back into sdlxliff Dec 13, 2010

I wonder how other people are importing the changes they make in the Word file back into the sdlxliff file.

My problem: I can't find the changes I have made when I go back to Studio.

Possible workarounds:
1. Delete unchanged segments in Word, but this is impractical in a large file.
2. In settings, mark "update segment status", but this applies to all segments, changed and unchanged.
3. Update TM with the resulting sdlxliff, but the new segments do not overwrite the old ones and I get multiple translations for each source segment in the TM (and right now I can't find the option to disable this).

Can anyone enlighten me on this, please?

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Tracked Changes Dec 13, 2010

Hello Emma,
I always ask my reviewers to track changes in Word. Then I can go through the changes one by one and accept or reject them.

Once I import the edited DOCX file, I run the "Update Project TM" batch task to keep my TMs up-to-date.

But regarding your post, I think it would be a good idea to change only the edited segments' status.

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
@ Stanislav Dec 13, 2010

Stanislav Pokorny wrote:
Once I import the edited DOCX file, I run the "Update Project TM" batch task to keep my TMs up-to-date.

Thanks for your reply, Stanislav. When you "update project TM", how do you stop getting multiple translations for each source segment? I'm looking for an "overwrite identical segments" sort of thing.

But regarding your post, I think it would be a good idea to change only the edited segments' status.

When I tick the "update segment status" in sdlxliff converter, every single segment status gets changed, regardless of whether I have changed it or not. Can you explain how I can change only the edited segments?
Thanks,
Emma

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

OpenExchange Applications

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search