Cannot open translated sdlxliff file : "Unexpected error" message
Thread poster: Alain Dorais

Alain Dorais
Local time: 16:12
English to French
Dec 8, 2010

Hi,

I have finished translating a .doc file with Studio 2009. Suddenly, I cannot open the file anymore, and get the following message (in French, but it should be close enough to be recognizable) : "Failure to open (file name).doc.sdlxliff". Details of the message are as follows : "Unexpected error while detecting file type "(path to file)" : '.', hexadecimal value 0x00, is a invalid character. Line 282502, position 46."

Any insights toward a solution would be deeply appreciated.

Alain

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 22:12
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Sh... happens sometimes Dec 8, 2010

and it looks like that happened to you now.
Unfortunately your SDLXLIFF file seems to have got damaged.
As I am not an expert in repairing those files, I would advice to recreate the SDLXLIFF from the original Word file and retranlaste it using the TM from the job.

Alain Dorais
Local time: 16:12
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Problem solved Dec 9, 2010

Thank you very much Jerzy.

As you suggested, I reprocessed the whole document from the start using the project TM (particularly useful in this situation). The new sdlxliff seems more enclined to collaborate...

tadream
Local time: 22:12
Polish to English
+ ...
damaged file recovery Nov 23, 2013

thnx jerzy!

have just come across the corrupt sdlxliff file and took your advice to rebuild the file from scratch (notepad ++ displayed all entries as NULL with no numbers whatsoever. it must've got screwed up real hard). was i happy to see these segments filling in automatically from the TM.

Thanks again!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Cannot open translated sdlxliff file : "Unexpected error" message

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search