Trados Studio 2009 SP2 takes up to 20min to startup
Thread poster: Remy Blaettler

Remy Blaettler
Local time: 19:07
German to English
+ ...
Dec 9, 2010

We are running Trados Studio 2009 SP2 with a floating licence. That means we have a license server in our private network. Unfortunately it takes about 20min to start a Trados instance.
Can't be normal, can it?

The PC's are Core i5 with 4GB of RAM and the license server also runs on Core2 Duo. The CPU Load on all machines is basically zero, so they are not maxed out or something.

I assume it has something to do with the license server and maybe a timeouot somewhere?
Any way to fix this?

Cheers

Remy

Direct link Reply with quote

Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
Networking or FlexLM problem Dec 9, 2010

Remy Blaettler wrote:

We are running Trados Studio 2009 SP2 with a floating licence. That means we have a license server in our private network. Unfortunately it takes about 20min to start a Trados instance.
Can't be normal, can it?

It's frankly abnormal.

The CPU Load on all machines is basically zero, so they are not maxed out or something.

I suppose it may be related to some firewall program or similar low level network related software (e.g. virtual switch from VMWare or similar).
First at all, try to disable the firewall for a moment and see how it works.
If necessary, change the configuration.
Verify the network hardware (e.g. too much cascaded switches may create subtle timeout problems, in theory 2 are OK but strange things may happen).
Be sure the correct server port is configured correctly (by default, 27000), if the detection fails for any reason, the FlexLM client may start to scan the entire 27000-27009 FlexLM range (as I remember, it depends of the software configuration).
If you have multiple FlexLM servers on one machine (e.g. Passolo and Trados), be sure they're configured manually to use different ports.
Check the version of the FlexLM software.
A version inherited from a very old Trados version may behave erratically.
Sometimes, when the license server is not found, an erroneus line like 27000@<my server@> may be insterted by mistake, check the license server list on the client machine.
For the server, use a fixed IP address and type it in the client software, it may be a problem with the computer name recognition, it happens often for some Windows versions.

I assume it has something to do with the license server and maybe a timeouot somewhere?
Any way to fix this?

It's difficult to say without taking a look on the machines...
At least, you have some ideas

Cheers
GG

Remy Blaettler
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Connecting to all different ip addresses Dec 9, 2010

Thanks for the hints.
I disabled the Firewall on the Client and the Server, but that made no difference.

We had the issue that the server had no static ip, so Trados sometimes asked for the ip address. But we fixed that.

There are no switches in the network and it's all in the same ip address range. The only thing we got are 2 simple hubs.

We have VM Ware installed on that server, will disable that and check again.

What I discovered, is that the Client is making TCP IP connections to port 27000 on different IP's in our network, but mainly on port 1030 to the Flex License Server. Why is the client trying to contact other IP's on port 27000?

And yes, the license server runs on 27000 and I told the client to connect to 27000:192.168.0.6. So there should be no issue with the name resolving.

Remy Blaettler
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Trados connecting to multiple IP addresses Dec 10, 2010

Got the solution!

The problem was that the license manager stored all possible IP addresses of our License Server and then tried to scan them all!
Just start the license manager on the client and remove all locations, besides the right on. And make sure that the license server runs on a fixe IP.

Here the same with a few more details.
http://remy.supertext.ch/2010/12/sdl-trados-studio-2009-startup-slow/

Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
VMWare... ports... Dec 10, 2010

Remy Blaettler wrote:

There are no switches in the network and it's all in the same ip address range. The only thing we got are 2 simple hubs.

In fact, all these hubs are unmanaged switches today

We have VM Ware installed on that server, will disable that and check again.

I had a lot of timing related networking problems with VMWare servers.
E.g. the opening of MS Jet databases was several times slower than on a normal file server, e.g. 5 minutes instead of few seconds.
It seems FlexLM, as a security related application, is very sensible to this kind of timing problems, as normally they may represent an intent of reverse engineering or sniffing, just like in the promiscuous mode, the VM virtual switch works in a similar manner.

What I discovered, is that the Client is making TCP IP connections to port 27000 on different IP's in our network, but mainly on port 1030 to the Flex License Server.

The 1030 port may be used by many programs according to the "who comes first" principle.
The most important it the 27000 port where the server is listening.

Why is the client trying to contact other IP's on port 27000?

Probably it's unable to find the license server (or get a valid response from it) and it starts to broadcast.

And yes, the license server runs on 27000 and I told the client to connect to 27000:192.168.0.6.

Attention, the default address format for FlexLM is 27000@192.168.0.6.

So there should be no issue with the name resolving.

At least, one thing is sure...

Cheers
GG

[Edited at 2010-12-10 11:17 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados Studio 2009 SP2 takes up to 20min to startup

Advanced search

WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search