https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/187330-studio_pretranslating_terms.html

Studio: Pretranslating terms?
Thread poster: Spiros Doikas
Spiros Doikas
Spiros Doikas  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:10
Member (2002)
English to Greek
+ ...
Dec 10, 2010

Is there a Studio option to pretranslate terms?

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:10
English
Pretranslate Option Dec 10, 2010

Hi Spiros,

You can only pretranslate complete segments, using your own Translation Memories, any plugged in Machine Translation, the MyMemory plugin or any server based Translation Memory.

But I like the idea of pretranslating Terms only. I'm not sure how this would be implemented as the nature of Terminology could yield various options without having a measure of which is the 100% match to use for example, but it's an interesting idea. Maybe log it at the ideas site
... See more
Hi Spiros,

You can only pretranslate complete segments, using your own Translation Memories, any plugged in Machine Translation, the MyMemory plugin or any server based Translation Memory.

But I like the idea of pretranslating Terms only. I'm not sure how this would be implemented as the nature of Terminology could yield various options without having a measure of which is the 100% match to use for example, but it's an interesting idea. Maybe log it at the ideas site - http://ideas.sdl.com/

Regards

Paul
Collapse

Grzegorz Gryc
Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
No Dec 10, 2010

Spiros Doikas wrote:

Is there a Studio option to pretranslate terms?

No, of course.
They should first create a reliable Studio-Multiterm connection

Seriously speaking, the Trados conception of translation was always "linear" i.e rather simplist, so the term pretlanslation was never implemented at the segment level unlike in all tools I use (DVX, memoQ, sometimes Wordfast, Swordfish and other).
No working algorithm at the segment level means a bad approach for pretlanslation (see Workbench), e.g. it was unusable in Word because of the mandatory tw4winTerm style use.
As the algorithm should be more comple with the AutoSuggest dictionnaries, the feature was simply dropped although a very primitive working implementation was present in SDLX.

In fact, IMO it's not crucial, all the users who need the term pretranslation and use it in an effective way (e.g. for EBMT) use already DVX, memoQ etc. and most Trados users don't use terminology at all.

Cheers
GG

[Edited at 2010-12-10 09:32 GMT]

Spiros Doikas
Member (2002)
English to Greek
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Terms Dec 10, 2010

My ideal approach would be to have a setting whether a user wants to have the terms inserted automatically when opening the TU and replacing source terms (standard procedure in DVX, MetaTexis, etc). Unfortunately, this is not available in Trados (I have submitted this idea to SDL Ideas).

http://ideas.sdltrados.com/ideas/detail.asp?i=2612

Another point which app
... See more
My ideal approach would be to have a setting whether a user wants to have the terms inserted automatically when opening the TU and replacing source terms (standard procedure in DVX, MetaTexis, etc). Unfortunately, this is not available in Trados (I have submitted this idea to SDL Ideas).

http://ideas.sdltrados.com/ideas/detail.asp?i=2612

Another point which appears still unresolved is case conversion of terms. Quickplace not only will not do this, but it will not display a term if one starts typing with the "wrong" capitalization. This is a serious issue IMHO.

[Edited at 2010-12-10 10:08 GMT]

[Edited at 2010-12-10 10:09 GMT]
Collapse

Grzegorz Gryc
Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
Because the brand matters... Dec 10, 2010

Spiros Doikas wrote:

My ideal approach would be to have a setting whether a user wants to have the terms inserted automatically when opening the TU and replacing source terms (standard procedure in DVX, MetaTexis, etc). Unfortunately, this is not available in Trados

Because the brand matters

Another point which appears still unresolved is case conversion of terms. Quickplace not only will not do this, but it will not display a term if one starts typing with the "wrong" capitalization. This is a serious issue IMHO.

It's not a bug, it's a feature.
Seriously.
http://talisma.sdl.com/article.aspx?article=3299&p=1

Cheers
GG

Spiros Doikas
Member (2002)
English to Greek
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
feature ? Dec 10, 2010

Well, if it was an option, people could enable/disable as fit, as the feature idea does not fit all purposes. In both DVX/MetaTexis for example there are further options on how to handle case conversions.

Furthermore, when a user tries to add the same word with different case for the first letter, the system will not allow and prompt to edit it (there is roundabout way of fixing this, use an excel file with terms in all cases you want and import with Convert).

This, har
... See more
Well, if it was an option, people could enable/disable as fit, as the feature idea does not fit all purposes. In both DVX/MetaTexis for example there are further options on how to handle case conversions.

Furthermore, when a user tries to add the same word with different case for the first letter, the system will not allow and prompt to edit it (there is roundabout way of fixing this, use an excel file with terms in all cases you want and import with Convert).

This, hardly sounds like a feature to me; at least a successful one for that matter.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio: Pretranslating terms?

Translation news related to SDL Trados

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »