Olaf Reibedanz  Identity Verified
Colombia
Local time: 16:13
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
Feb 24, 2004

Hello everybody,

I don't have much experience with Trados yet because I normally use Deja Vu. I am currently translating a Word document with Trados 6.5. At first, everything went well. But when I arrived nearly at the end of the text, I closed a segment and opened a new one with "Set/Close Next Open/Get" (as I always do), but something strange happened: the following segment did not contain what it was supposed to contain (that is, the next sentence); instead, it contained the sour
... See more
Hello everybody,

I don't have much experience with Trados yet because I normally use Deja Vu. I am currently translating a Word document with Trados 6.5. At first, everything went well. But when I arrived nearly at the end of the text, I closed a segment and opened a new one with "Set/Close Next Open/Get" (as I always do), but something strange happened: the following segment did not contain what it was supposed to contain (that is, the next sentence); instead, it contained the source text from the previous segment that I had just translated!

I then played around with several buttons (can't remember exactly everything I tried out) and in the end it worked, but then I got the same problem a bit later with another segment.

Can anybody tell me what might be causing the problems and provide some ideas of how I might be able to solve it?

Many thanks in advance!

Olaf
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 23:13
English to German
+ ...
Table? Feb 24, 2004

Hi Olaf,
Which version of Word are you using?

Was this in a Word table, or in normal text? Anything particular about the formatting of the paragraph?

Gruß Ralf

Olaf Reibedanz
Colombia
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Background info Feb 24, 2004

Hi Ralf,

Great to hear you are still around that late! I use Trados 6.5, Windows XP and Microsoft Word 2000.

The text is an ordinary Word document. Some sections of the text are divided into two columns (like in PDF files or newspapers, do you know what I mean?). There are no tables. The "nasty" segment starts with a hyphen followed by a big space (it's part of an enumeration).

Friedrich Reinold
Friedrich Reinold
United States
Local time: 14:13
Member (2003)
English to German
Install latest patch Feb 26, 2004

In fact, I had the same problem with earlier versions of Trados, but not with 6.5 so far. I suggest you download and install the latest patch from Trados' support site.

-Tom

Olaf Reibedanz
Colombia
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I found a provisional solution Feb 27, 2004

Dear Ralf and Tom,

I figured out that the problem only occurs in sections where the text is divided into two columns. So I solved the problem by copying the text into a text file and from there into a new Word document. Having done so, I no longer had any problems because I no longer had two columns in the text. This may be not have been a very elegant solution, but at least it helped me complete the project successfully.

I am now going to download the patch as you sugg
... See more
Dear Ralf and Tom,

I figured out that the problem only occurs in sections where the text is divided into two columns. So I solved the problem by copying the text into a text file and from there into a new Word document. Having done so, I no longer had any problems because I no longer had two columns in the text. This may be not have been a very elegant solution, but at least it helped me complete the project successfully.

I am now going to download the patch as you suggest, Tom - hopefully it will be effective!

Thanks both of you for your help!

Olaf
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Bug in Trados?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »