Does anyone know how to change the SDL Trados licence from one computer to another?
Thread poster: Michelle Ningyu
Michelle Ningyu
Canada
Local time: 12:30
Member (2010)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Dec 11, 2010

Hello,

The Trados that I bought 2 months ago, suddenly crashed - google translation function unavailable, this plus I started using a different computer at home, make me thinking of de-activate the trados and re-install it in the new computer....

Does anyone know how to make trados in one computer de-activated, or inactive, so that I can install it in the new computer?

Thank you in advance!


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 18:30
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Return the license in Trados' website... Dec 11, 2010

...and then get a new license from the website when you install the software in the new place.

I think that is all you need to do. Of course, you might want to uninstall the software from the computer where you don't need it.

May I also remind you that by using Google Translate you are feeding your customer's translations to the web, where they can be seen by anyone? Were you aware of that? Could you be unadvertedly violating your confidentiality duties?


Direct link Reply with quote
 
Michelle Ningyu
Canada
Local time: 12:30
Member (2010)
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
what are the contents before ".....and then get a new license from the website...." - thank you Dec 11, 2010

Dear Tomas,
Thanks for your reply. But could you please advise what the contents are before "......and then get a new license from the website when you install the software in the new place."?

Also the Google translation is one of the tools installed and made available to trados users, just like memories, etc. Are we not supposed to use it?

Thank you.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 18:30
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Sorry Dec 11, 2010

I did not intend to make my answer unclear.

What I wanted to say is that, in order to take your Trados software to a new machine, you have to return the license to Trados' website. I assume you used Trados' website to get a license file which you saved in your computer to enable Trados? Basically now you have to do the same process in the new computer, but in order to do that, you first need to return the license to Trados with their website.

As for Google Translate, something Trados does not warn about is the fact that it is not only uni-directional from the web to your computer: it also saves everything you translate in Google's databases, making your translations immediately searchable. This violates any confidentiality agreements you may have with your customers, since you are feeding their texts to the web before they decide to. You should definitely make sure NOT to use Google Translate if you have a confidentiality duty towards your customers!!


Direct link Reply with quote
 
Michelle Ningyu
Canada
Local time: 12:30
Member (2010)
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for clarification on google translation! now how do I return license to SDL? Dec 11, 2010

Hi Tomas,
Thanks for your clarification about Google translation!
Now, can you please specify how I can return the license to SDL. I am assuming login in my account in SDL..... are there supposed to be some directions in this regards in their website?

Thanks.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 18:30
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
The process Dec 11, 2010

1. Go to www.trados.com.
2. Log in using "My account" (use the email address and password you used when you created the account).
3. In the menu on the left, choose "My Licenses". You should see a list of products for which you have licenses.
4. Expand your product clicking the + sign. You should see several tabs. One should be "Softkey Licenses". Click "View generated licenses". This opens a pop-up window.
5. Click "Return license file".

I can't help you from here since I don't want to return my license to see what happens. Just follow the process.

From the new computer, you will have to create a new license, and you can make use of the license you just returned. The license files are specific of the installation computer, I think, so you have to generate a new license file.

I hope this helps!


are there supposed to be some directions in this regards in their website?

Are you joking?


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 18:30
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
Return licence from Studio itself Dec 11, 2010

Presumably you're talking about Studio 2009 as you only bought it 2 months ago.
To return your licence, open Studio, go to Help>about>license manager>view activated licences and then highlight the licence you want to return from that list, and click on Return Licence.

Then you will see at My Account on the SDL website that your licence will be available to download again on your new machine.
HTH


Direct link Reply with quote
 
Michelle Ningyu
Canada
Local time: 12:30
Member (2010)
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
THANKS Tomas! Dec 11, 2010

Much appreciated for your help!

Direct link Reply with quote
 
Michelle Ningyu
Canada
Local time: 12:30
Member (2010)
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes. it is studio 2009 Dec 11, 2010

Emma Goldsmith wrote:

Presumably you're talking about Studio 2009 as you only bought it 2 months ago.
To return your licence, open Studio, go to Help>about>license manager>view activated licences and then highlight the licence you want to return from that list, and click on Return Licence.

Then you will see at My Account on the SDL website that your licence will be available to download again on your new machine.
HTH


Thanks Emma! The version i bought is indeed studio 2009, which I was told can be used simultaneously on two computers in my home. Apparently it is not true??

Anyways, I will follow the "return license" procedure on SDL, to get a new license, hopefully, and re-install in the new computer....


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 18:30
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
Softkey licenses? Dec 11, 2010

Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote:

1. Go to www.trados.com.
2. Log in using "My account" (use the email address and password you used when you created the account).
3. In the menu on the left, choose "My Licenses". You should see a list of products for which you have licenses.
4. Expand your product clicking the + sign. You should see several tabs. One should be "Softkey Licenses". Click "View generated licenses". This opens a pop-up window.
5. Click "Return license file".



I don't think softkey licences apply here. (I have one for Multiterm extract but not for any other SDL applications). Studio is licencsed through an Activation Code. When I installed the application on a new computer a few months ago I returned the licence as outlined in my previous post.

@ Michelle: I would advise you to return your licence by opening Studio as I recommend. I can assure you that it works like that


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 18:30
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
running Studio on 2 machines Dec 11, 2010

Michelle Ningyu wrote:

Thanks Emma! The version i bought is indeed studio 2009, which I was told can be used simultaneously on two computers in my home. Apparently it is not true??


The Freelance Plus version can indeed by installed on 2 computers for your own use. I have it installed on my desktop and my laptop. Check on the SDL site (My Licenses) whether your application says "This license is supplied with Extra Activations". Click on the question mark beside it to get more information about this.

Again, I suggest you return your licence following the process I recommended.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:30
English
On Google Dec 12, 2010

Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote:
As for Google Translate, something Trados does not warn about is the fact that it is not only uni-directional from the web to your computer: it also saves everything you translate in Google's databases, making your translations immediately searchable.


This is not true Tomas. When you add Google, or any Machine Translation provider Studio will warn you as you mention. However, it does not save everything you translate in Googles databases. Where did you get this from?

We send the source text, obviously this is required in order to translate it, but the translated text as you improve it is not sent. This is added to your TM and a note is retained in the bilingual file that your used Google, or whatever engine, for the translation.

Regards

Paul


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 18:30
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
I was only partially wrong Dec 12, 2010

SDL Support wrote:
Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote:
As for Google Translate, something Trados does not warn about is the fact that it is not only uni-directional from the web to your computer: it also saves everything you translate in Google's databases, making your translations immediately searchable.

This is not true Tomas. When you add Google, or any Machine Translation provider Studio will warn you as you mention. However, it does not save everything you translate in Googles databases. Where did you get this from?

My mistake then. Thanks for the clarification.

We send the source text, obviously this is required in order to translate it, but the translated text as you improve it is not sent. This is added to your TM and a note is retained in the bilingual file that your used Google, or whatever engine, for the translation.

OK, then I misinterpreted the matter on the translation side. However, I assume that you do say that the source text is sent to Google and stored by Google in their databases for searches? That is severe enough in my opinion since you are disclosing your customers' texts to the web, right?


Direct link Reply with quote
 

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:30
English
What we say Dec 12, 2010

Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote:

OK, then I misinterpreted the matter on the translation side. However, I assume that you do say that the source text is sent to Google and stored by Google in their databases for searches? That is severe enough in my opinion since you are disclosing your customers' texts to the web, right?


I think we need to clarify something here Tomas. We don't do anything. This is all done by the Translator when the decision is made to use Google as a MT provider. What we do say is this;

"By connecting you agree to send text to a third-party automated translation provider via the internet, and declare that this will not breach your agreement with the text's owner or applicable law. The use of this provider will be shown in the bilingual file.

Do you wish to connect?
"

We use this same warning for all three free MT services (and MyMemory) that come with Studio. The choice of using it or not is down to the Translator and each of these, and any others you choose to connect to in the future may well all have their own specific features that you should look at before using. The warning we provide is a generic one to suit them all.

Just out of interest. I wonder how many Tranlsators use google mail, or ordinary google searches, or google translate with material that might really be considered confidential? All of these mechanisms, when it comes to Google, are fair game and used to help Google shape the material they feed you every time you log on.

Regards

Paul


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 18:30
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
searching for source segments on Google Dec 12, 2010

Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote:

the source text is sent to Google and stored by Google in their databases for searches?


This could be worrying, as you say, Tomás, but interestingly if you feed Google MT a source segment and then later (a few minutes, days or weeks later) you try Googling for that same segment, it won't actually come up at all.

So it appears that my source segment is not available on the Web, however much I search for it.


Direct link Reply with quote
 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Does anyone know how to change the SDL Trados licence from one computer to another?

Advanced search







SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search