How do I return a project package?
Thread poster: patriciabr

patriciabr  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:54
English to Spanish
Dec 12, 2010

Hi. I just installed 2009 and I'm trying to return a project, but I can't. I was able to open it, so I guess I should be able to return it, right? I doubt that it's because I bough the Freelance version. I have marked the project as completed and have followed the steps. Please help. Thanks!

Paty

Jan Kolbaba  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 17:54
Member (2006)
English to Czech
+ ...
You should not Dec 12, 2010

have marked your project as "completed". In this case it is not possible to create a return package (the function is not available).
1. Reactivate your job: Project -> Reactivate
2. Create the return package: Project -> Create Return package
3. Check the file(s) to be included on your return package, click "Next"
4. Select a location for the return package, give it a name and click "Finish"
5. Your return package will save into a specified folder

Hope it helped
Jan

[Edited at 2010-12-12 10:45 GMT]

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Do not mark the project as complete Dec 12, 2010

Right click on the project in Project view.
Chose "Reactivate".
Go to Project menu, chose return package.
That is always possible - Freelance version can always create return packaged. What you cannot do is creating outgoing packages.
However, this all will not be possible, if you used the Finalize task.
In that case go to files view, right click the file (if you have more than one file, select them all and right click on the selection) and select "Revert to SDLXLIFF file". Then try again to create the return package.

United States
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Project reactivated but still can't create return project Dec 12, 2010

Thank you for the information. I reactivated the two projects that I have. I also made sure that the files were 100% translated, but still nothing. When I right click, the option still appears greyed out. It is also greyed out if I try to do it from the toolbar.

If you can think of anything else. Let me know.

Thanks so much for your help.

Patricia

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Go to Files view Dec 12, 2010

select all files, right click them, chose "Revert to SDLXLIFF", then try creating the return package again.
BTW, how did you get the project? Did you get a project package or was it sent to you in a different way?

United States
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Project was created by myself Dec 12, 2010

Thank you, Jerzy, for your prompt reply. All the files have the right file extension. But now that you mention it, since I have been mostly "playing" with the program for the first time, I myself created two projects and now am trying to "return" them, so it would make sense that the program would not let me create a return project that I didn't really receive in the first place. I'm thinking that maybe that's why you are asking that and the reason why it's not giving me the option to do it.

My intention was to play with all the features before I started receiving real projects.

If you agree that that's the problem let me know.

Again, your help is really valuable and I appreciate the time you've taken to answer my question.

Paty

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
So you can't create a return package Dec 12, 2010

Regardless the Studio version you use you cannot create return packages for projects you create on your own.
Creating return packages is ONLY possible for projects you've received as package.
As soon you create a project package on your own you may be able to create a project package TO SEND it to someone for any purpose, provide you're using the Professional version of Studio.
In case of Studio Frelance you can only receive packages and create return packages for them.
Should you need to send a project to someone for translation, just put all the project folders Studio created into a ZIP file, paying attention to providing also the translation memory, AutoSuggest dictionary and termbase used.
The translator will need to open the project on his computer by double clicking the SLDPOJ file. If you created a project with just relative paths (ie. TM, ASD and termbase are located in subfolders of the project folder), this will work with no error messages. Otherwise the translator will have to adapt the paths to TM, ASD and TB in the project.
After the translation is done, let the translator send you the target SDLXLIFF files from the project and integrate them in your own projeckt. This will provide you with fully translated project, which you now just need to open in Studio and proofread.

United States
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Dec 12, 2010

Thanks for the long explanation. That makes sense.

Have a great day.

Paty

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How do I return a project package?

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search