Magdalena Szymańska
Magdalena Szymańska  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 15:23
English to Polish
+ ...
Dec 14, 2010

Dear Colleagues,

I have Trados 2009 (freelance version) and I have problems with saving unclean files (both source and target text) as .doc or .ttx.

I follow the instruction given in Help Topics (it says that I should simply click "save as' and then choose .ttx format, but when trying to save, I have no choice (the onl possibility: .sdlxiff).

(Maybe this tip does not work for Trdaos 2009, because almost all tips in Help Topics apply to Trdaos 2007, even t
... See more
Dear Colleagues,

I have Trados 2009 (freelance version) and I have problems with saving unclean files (both source and target text) as .doc or .ttx.

I follow the instruction given in Help Topics (it says that I should simply click "save as' and then choose .ttx format, but when trying to save, I have no choice (the onl possibility: .sdlxiff).

(Maybe this tip does not work for Trdaos 2009, because almost all tips in Help Topics apply to Trdaos 2007, even though I purchased Trados 2009).

I woudl appreciate your help,
Magda Szymańska
Collapse

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
ttx original Dec 14, 2010

You must start with a ttx (by creating one in Workbench or TTX It). Open it in Studio. Then you will have the option to save as ttx or as the original file format.

Studio cannot create a ttx on its own.

P.S. all the help topics in Studio's help refer to Studio

[Edited at 2010-12-14 15:40 GMT]

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Do not "Save" but "Save target as" Dec 14, 2010

I am sorry, but you are mixing thigs up here.
The command "Save" applies as in any software to the native format, which is SDLXLIFF here. What you need is to understand, that with Studio you are working with an intermediate format, which is SDLXLIFF. You do not really "open" a source file here, but you "read" a file, which is then transfered to SDLXLIFF. In order to get the source format again you need to transfer the file back - and this is what "Save target as" does.

So inst
... See more
I am sorry, but you are mixing thigs up here.
The command "Save" applies as in any software to the native format, which is SDLXLIFF here. What you need is to understand, that with Studio you are working with an intermediate format, which is SDLXLIFF. You do not really "open" a source file here, but you "read" a file, which is then transfered to SDLXLIFF. In order to get the source format again you need to transfer the file back - and this is what "Save target as" does.

So instead of pressing CTRL+S or F12 press SHIFT+F12 or go to File, Save taget as.
Collapse

Magdalena Szymańska
Magdalena Szymańska  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
unclean in .doc format - impossible? Dec 15, 2010

Dear Emma, dear Jerzy,

thank you for your help.

I only have SDL Trados Studio. My client sent me a document in .doc format and requiers 'unclean version in .doc format'. I thought that unclean version means both source and target text. But according to what Jerzy saidd it was not possible to save unclean version in .doc (as required by my client), am I right?

Magda

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Studio will neither open nor produce a bilingual Word document Dec 15, 2010

You can send the customer a bilingual TTX file instead.
Try to convince the customer working with Word on files which are to be translated into Polish makes a lot of troubles in Word due to formatting changes and dissapearing diacritics. Offer bilingual TTX instead.
Besides Studio 2009 you will also have Trados 2007, as this is still a part of the package. That way you can transfer Word into TTX and then translate it in Studio.
Should the customer persist on bilingual Word, you
... See more
You can send the customer a bilingual TTX file instead.
Try to convince the customer working with Word on files which are to be translated into Polish makes a lot of troubles in Word due to formatting changes and dissapearing diacritics. Offer bilingual TTX instead.
Besides Studio 2009 you will also have Trados 2007, as this is still a part of the package. That way you can transfer Word into TTX and then translate it in Studio.
Should the customer persist on bilingual Word, you can use the translation from Studio. Export the TM used for that file to TMX. Create a new TM in Worbkench, import TMX and translate the Word file in Word itself. However you may then very well run into some problems with font changes and so on.
Collapse

Kitty Brussaard
Kitty Brussaard  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2009)
English to Dutch
+ ...
White paper Dec 15, 2010

Faced with a similar problem not so very long ago, I found the information in the following SDL white paper also quite useful: http://www.translationzone.com/en/landing/premium-downloads/how-to-work-with-the-translation-supply-chain-with-sdl-trados-studio-2009.asp.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

saving as .ttx or .doc (Trados 2009)

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »