Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
How can I make Studio memember which TM was used for a particular document?
Thread poster: Allegro AS
Allegro AS
Allegro AS
Norway
Local time: 11:20
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Dec 16, 2010

I work with a large number of TMs and often need to switch between documents. Ever since I started using Studio it has annoyed me that Studio is incapable of remembering which TMs I chose to use when first creating the project (opening the file). This means that the TM settings often tend to be wrong, and that I have to remember to open the project settings and make the necessary changes each time.
Searching for solutions, I stumbled over an idea posted at ideas.sdltrados.com titled "Reme
... See more
I work with a large number of TMs and often need to switch between documents. Ever since I started using Studio it has annoyed me that Studio is incapable of remembering which TMs I chose to use when first creating the project (opening the file). This means that the TM settings often tend to be wrong, and that I have to remember to open the project settings and make the necessary changes each time.
Searching for solutions, I stumbled over an idea posted at ideas.sdltrados.com titled "Remember which TM used for a particular document", which deals with exactly the same problem, and which according to the site was accepted for inclusion in Studio approx. 600 days ago...
So why isnt't it working? Am I missing something? Or does it only work when opening files using the "create project" command? (I always use "open document" and would like to continue that way).
Collapse

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
I recommend using projects Dec 16, 2010

The way I do it is to create a project for each client - so a unique TM is assigned to each project. I take documents in and out of that project but the settings don't change: same TM, same termbase, same autosuggest dict, etc.

If you always use "open doc" then Studio actually creates the project for you, so if you want to know which TM you have used for a certain document, click on the project file from Windows to open that document in Studio, with its corresponding TM, etc.

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
By using the feature Dec 16, 2010

Allegro AS wrote:

I work with a large number of TMs and often need to switch between documents. Ever since I started using Studio it has annoyed me that Studio is incapable of remembering which TMs I chose to use when first creating the project

It is capable of doing that, that's what projects are for.

Allegro AS wrote:
opening the file

That's not the same as creating/opening a project. Binding the project settings (TM, termbase and other stuff) to files swouldn't be very smart, because applying the same settings to multiple files would become tricky and moving/renaming the file would break the setup. Projects make more sense for more people.

Allegro AS wrote:
I always use "open document" and would like to continue that way.

Sorry, can't do that. You can create a shortcut to an often-used project, put it wherever you like, and it will launch Studio with the correct settings (TM, termbase etc.) To translate a new file with those settings, add the file to the project.

[Edited at 2010-12-16 12:38 GMT]

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Need to change Dec 16, 2010

Allegro AS wrote:
Or does it only work when opening files using the "create project" command? (I always use "open document" and would like to continue that way).

I'm affraid that you are caught in the old saying that you cannot change something unless you change it. Indeed you need projects for what you want to do. It is that way in Studio and in other project-based CAT tools.

Can you tell us why you would not like to start using projects?

Allegro AS
Allegro AS
Norway
English to Norwegian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Simplicity Dec 16, 2010

Opening the file that way is quicker and easier - it's as simple as that. You only need to locate the file, choose your TM(s) and get to work - exactly the way you want it to be if all you're interested in is translating a single document from one language into another. And as Studio automatically creates a project even when opening a file with the "open document" commmand" (complete with a project file and all, which by the way I have yet to find a use for), I still don't see why this should be... See more
Opening the file that way is quicker and easier - it's as simple as that. You only need to locate the file, choose your TM(s) and get to work - exactly the way you want it to be if all you're interested in is translating a single document from one language into another. And as Studio automatically creates a project even when opening a file with the "open document" commmand" (complete with a project file and all, which by the way I have yet to find a use for), I still don't see why this should be any different from working with projects.

For each new file I open, I'm prompted to define the project settings for that file, so why shouldn't these be saved and reused every time I reopen the same sdlxliff file?

We are planning to implement Studio for all our in-house translators, and so I'm looking for ways to make the learning curve less steep and the workflow as simple as possible for the new users. It may well be that working with projects is less complicated than it seems, but given the way we work, being able to associate settings with the sdlxliff file is the only real advantage I can think of so far, and I still can't see any good reason why this should be impossible to achieve with the "open file" approach.

[Edited at 2010-12-16 15:45 GMT]
Collapse

Emma Goldsmith
Spain
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
single file vs. project Dec 16, 2010

Allegro AS wrote:

I have to remember to open the project settings and make the necessary changes each time.

Opening the file that way is quicker and easier

This sounds like a contradiction to me All your "having to remember" problems will be solved if you switch to the project workflow.

Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Sometimes you have to change Dec 16, 2010

Allegro AS wrote:
It may well be that working with projects is less complicated than it seems, but given the way we work, being able to associate settings with the sdlxliff file is the only real advantage I can think of so far, and I still can't see any good reason why this should be impossible to achieve with the "open file" approach.

Are you really sure you stick to the "open file" approach because it is the simplest way or because you are used to work that way from the times of Trados 2007 and earlier?

To me, projects are precisely what you should be looking at. We in the team are not users of Studio for a number of reasons (one of them being that we don't like how projects are handled in Studio and the consequences of creating a project in terms of filter files replicated for no real reason), but in our current CAT software projects are a huge advantage. I can easily change projects about 10-15 times every day, and all I have to do is to open a project. All the files in the project and the exact settings I need are there when I need them.

Now, once you deliver your job to the customer, how important is it to you that all settings remain linked to a particular file delivered? Probably less important than you may now think. I don't see the real use of setting and keeping all that information linked to individual files when you have already finished the job.

Emma Goldsmith
Spain
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
how to re-open a sdlxliff file Dec 16, 2010

Allegro AS wrote:

For each new file I open, I'm prompted to define the project settings for that file, so why shouldn't these be saved and reused every time I reopen the same sdlxliff file?

If you want to re-open a sdlxliff file, go to Projects (bottom left-hand corner), double click on the name of the project that Studio has created for that file, then go to the file view (bottom left-hand corner again), make sure you are in the target language, and double click on the file there.

Now your sdlxliff file will open with the same TMs and settings that you assigned when you opened it the first time.

Emma Goldsmith
Spain
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
how easy it is to change projects in Studio Dec 16, 2010

Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote:

I can easily change projects about 10-15 times every day, and all I have to do is to open a project. All the files in the project and the exact settings I need are there when I need them.

Sounds as if you're talking about Studio

the consequences of creating a project in terms of filter files replicated for no real reason

If you are bothered by the number of filter files that are created for a project - for example if you know you're only going to use that project for .docx files - then it's as simple as deleting the rest.

Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Off-topic Dec 16, 2010

Emma Goldsmith wrote:
I can easily change projects about 10-15 times every day, and all I have to do is to open a project. All the files in the project and the exact settings I need are there when I need them.

Sounds as if you're talking about Studio

Completely off-topic, I know, but out of sheer Spanish curiosity: can you tell me how long does Studio take to open a project from the moment of choosing it (i.e. once you have clicked "Open" in the chosen project) until you have the translation grid open on screen? Let's take an average multi-file project with 10-12 files and a wordcount of 5,000 words or so.

Emma Goldsmith
Spain
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
Off-topic reply to Tomás Dec 16, 2010

how long does Studio take to open a project from the moment of choosing it

OK, I got my stopwatch out and...
I understand you're talking about a file that has already been added to the project?
Right, I chose a 4 mb , 5800-word file from a project that has 7 files, 2 TMs, 1 TB and 1 autosuggest dict assigned to it.

Well, the first time I tried it I didn't have enough time to put my stopwatch on Then I realised that it was the one I had just closed, so presumably Studio remembered what had been opened beforehand.

So I closed Studio, re-opened it (mine isn't set to open the last opened file), and went to projects to open the same file. This time it took 10 seconds.

Another test on a much smaller file was almost instantaneous, as would be expected.

Talking about your Spanish curiousity, Tomás, a word of caution: Curiosity killed the CAT.

Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
OK! Off-topic satisfied Dec 16, 2010

Emma Goldsmith wrote:
So I closed Studio, re-opened it (mine isn't set to open the last opened file), and went to projects to open the same file. This time it took 10 seconds.

Thanks a lot Emma! I appreciate it.

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Simplcity - ever tried to make it simple? Dec 16, 2010

Allegro AS wrote:

Opening the file that way is quicker and easier - it's as simple as that. You only need to locate the file, choose your TM(s) and get to work - exactly the way you want it to be if all you're interested in is translating a single document from one language into another. And as Studio automatically creates a project even when opening a file with the "open document" commmand" (complete with a project file and all, which by the way I have yet to find a use for), I still don't see why this should be any different from working with projects.

You have to look first in order to see. Make you eyes wide open and your mind broad.
Then create a project, following all the steps necessary. Create every single setting you may need, including a setup of a bunch of TMs, verification settings, file format settings, termbases and all what you may ever think of. Then after the project has been created store it as a template.
Next time use this template and you will need to:

• chose the template in the first step
  • give the project a name and specify a location
    if you will be a good observer you will soon notice, that the name of the project will be the name of the project folder, so if you create one central folde for projects every single project will be there
  • skip the step with language selection
  • add files to project, which will also allow to merge them if desired
  • click finish

I'm affraid that you are caught in the old saying that you cannot change something unless you change it.

I like that one very much

Allegro AS
Allegro AS
Norway
English to Norwegian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
we'll see Dec 17, 2010

I'd like to thank all of you for your advice.

I'm glad you're all thrilled with the feature, but as for me, unfortunately I still fail to see how going through all these steps just in order to translate a single file makes the process simpler. Guess that's just how narrow-minded I am

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Count "all these steps" please Dec 17, 2010

Allegro AS wrote:

I'd like to thank all of you for your advice.

I'm glad you're all thrilled with the feature, but as for me, unfortunately I still fail to see how going through all these steps just in order to translate a single file makes the process simpler. Guess that's just how narrow-minded I am

If you count how many steps you need to open a single file, provided you will really take care about the TM settings and termbases used, then you will see, that creating a project might require a click more, but quite certainly many thoughts less.
The possibility you create a project with wrong settings is tending to zero, a possibility to open a single file with wrong TM and settings is quite high then.

Similar to a car with manual transmission you will also say you don't need automatic drive, as you coped so many years with manual shift. Until you get a modern car with automatic transmission where you still can change gears manually. After then you will never wish to return to manual shift.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How can I make Studio memember which TM was used for a particular document?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »