Tags change when "get translation" or "get placeable" are used in Tag Editor
Thread poster: Deborah Kolosova
Deborah Kolosova
Deborah Kolosova  Identity Verified
United States
Russian to English
+ ...
Dec 16, 2010

I am proofreading a previously translated document in Tag Editor (Trados 2007). When I use the "get translation" or "get placeable" functions, instead of the tags that were in the original segment, I get different tags; usually each tag in the original is replaced by several in the translated segment. I wrote to the outsourcer, but their IT people assured me that that kind of thing happens all the time and that the only way to fix it is to manually cut and paste the tags from the original segmen... See more
I am proofreading a previously translated document in Tag Editor (Trados 2007). When I use the "get translation" or "get placeable" functions, instead of the tags that were in the original segment, I get different tags; usually each tag in the original is replaced by several in the translated segment. I wrote to the outsourcer, but their IT people assured me that that kind of thing happens all the time and that the only way to fix it is to manually cut and paste the tags from the original segment. This, of course, is very time-consuming and annoying, and it's really slowing down my work. Surely that's not the way the program is supposed to work! I've used Tag Editor before and have never had a problem like that. Has anyone else encountered it before, and if so, how did you work around it?Collapse

Adam Łobatiuk
Adam Łobatiuk  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 00:24
Member (2009)
English to Polish
+ ...
Known problem Dec 16, 2010

Hi Deborah,

This is a known problem; in fact, I complained about it myself on these forums. There doesn't seem to be a solution to it. Apparently, the culprit is Translator's Workbench, not Tag Editor. In fact, the tags in the target file do not change. What changes is only the way they are displayed in TE or, in the worst case, some internal tags turn into external ones, thus causing a mess in the TM.

In your situation, as a reviewer, I would just unprotect the documen
... See more
Hi Deborah,

This is a known problem; in fact, I complained about it myself on these forums. There doesn't seem to be a solution to it. Apparently, the culprit is Translator's Workbench, not Tag Editor. In fact, the tags in the target file do not change. What changes is only the way they are displayed in TE or, in the worst case, some internal tags turn into external ones, thus causing a mess in the TM.

In your situation, as a reviewer, I would just unprotect the document and edit the target strings without opening them. You can update the TM, if necessary, once you've finished reviewing.

P.S. A great logo there
Collapse

Deborah Kolosova
Deborah Kolosova  Identity Verified
United States
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
How? Dec 16, 2010

What is the best way to do that?

Adam Łobatiuk
Adam Łobatiuk  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 00:24
Member (2009)
English to Polish
+ ...
In Tag Editor Dec 16, 2010

Tools - Options - Protection - clear "Protect Document"

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Tags change when "get translation" or "get placeable" are used in Tag Editor

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »