opinion- SDL starter
Thread poster: fata-s
fata-s
fata-s
Local time: 09:52
Italian to English
Dec 17, 2010

Hello,
I was wondering what you all thought about SDL Trados Starter (one year licence, limited capabilities).
Does anyone use it?
thanks

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
The URL Dec 17, 2010

fata-s wrote:
I was wondering what you all thought about SDL Trados Starter (one year licence, limited capabilities).

The only really important limitations (it would seem) are:
1. TM limited to 5000 segments
2. No uncleaned RTF files
3. Can't import/export TMX (not sure about this one)
4. And no glossary/terminology support

http://www.translationzone.com/en/products/sdl-trados-studio-2009-starter/#tab2

On that site, the price is listed as EUR 99 per year, compared to EUR 795 for a full, perpetual license. Note that the full version of Trados is often available on special at various locations for lower than the stated EUR 795, though not quite as low as EUR 99.

fata-s
fata-s
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
thanks Dec 17, 2010

Thanks for summarizing the info. Given those limitations would it be worth it? I translate part time and I'm just getting into CAT tools, I'm learning Accross, but SDL Trados seems to be the software to use....it's just so expensive.

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
more drawbacks Dec 17, 2010

It doesn't come bundled with Trados 2007, which means that you have no backward compatability when working with people who haven't upgraded to Studio.
i.e. you can't create ttx
Also, you don't get WinAlign.

The ttx problem would be enough on its own to put me off it. However, if you don't need to deliver compatible formats, and only ever give in clean versions, then you would be fine.

If I were you I would download the 30-day demo (that's the professional ve
... See more
It doesn't come bundled with Trados 2007, which means that you have no backward compatability when working with people who haven't upgraded to Studio.
i.e. you can't create ttx
Also, you don't get WinAlign.

The ttx problem would be enough on its own to put me off it. However, if you don't need to deliver compatible formats, and only ever give in clean versions, then you would be fine.

If I were you I would download the 30-day demo (that's the professional version) to see whether you like it and in the meantime (because I'm sure you will like it) save up for the freelance version and get it through a group buy here on Proz. I think there's a 30 or 40% discount when you buy it like that.
Collapse

fata-s
fata-s
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Emma Dec 17, 2010

Thanks Emma,
that was really helpful, I'll invest the 100 bucks on books (excuse the pun) instead of the limited version SDL.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

opinion- SDL starter

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »