Thread poster: Sophie Holliday
Sophie Holliday
Sophie Holliday  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:39
English to French
+ ...
Dec 17, 2010

Hello !

I cannot unclean a word file from Trados Workbench.

I do not understand why. I tried downloading the file again and retranslated it. I restarted my computer. At first different error messages appeared about this file being used elsewhere and about the file being changed of place. I hasn't been changed of place and is not used elsewhere.

Now, these messages do not appear anymore but the progress for the cleaning is going forwards and then backwards v
... See more
Hello !

I do not understand why. I tried downloading the file again and retranslated it. I restarted my computer. At first different error messages appeared about this file being used elsewhere and about the file being changed of place. I hasn't been changed of place and is not used elsewhere.

Now, these messages do not appear anymore but the progress for the cleaning is going forwards and then backwards very slowly. It even states that it's clean whereas it is not.
I have tried everything, can you help me find the problem ?

Thanks for your answers !
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Try to use Word macro Dec 17, 2010

Make a copy of your translated Word document in rtf format.
Now open the translated doc file in Word. Press ALT+F8, type TW in the empty space for macro name, select TW4winclean.main and let it run.
Save this cleaned doc file. Please remember to repeat this procedure also for page headers and footers in each section. It may also be necessary to repeat this procedure in text boxes, if any.

Because this macro will not update TM, start Workbench, open the proper TM and chos
... See more
Make a copy of your translated Word document in rtf format.
Now open the translated doc file in Word. Press ALT+F8, type TW in the empty space for macro name, select TW4winclean.main and let it run.
Save this cleaned doc file. Please remember to repeat this procedure also for page headers and footers in each section. It may also be necessary to repeat this procedure in text boxes, if any.

Because this macro will not update TM, start Workbench, open the proper TM and chose Tools - Cleanup. Take the rtf file you stored previously. This will update your TM. You can delete the rtf file afterwards.
Collapse

Luisa Ramos, CT
Luisa Ramos, CT  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:39
English to Spanish
Did it not update the TM when translating? Dec 17, 2010

Jerzy, this is not the purpose of this post but you know I respect your opinion a lot and this is the second time I read your instructions and disclaimer about updating the TM with the macro.

Granted, all the macro does is eliminate the source segments and the codes, however, why would I need to do the conversion to rft and run a cleanup? After translating using Workbench, aren't all the segments in the TM already, isn't each segment written to the TM as the translation progresses?
... See more
Jerzy, this is not the purpose of this post but you know I respect your opinion a lot and this is the second time I read your instructions and disclaimer about updating the TM with the macro.

Granted, all the macro does is eliminate the source segments and the codes, however, why would I need to do the conversion to rft and run a cleanup? After translating using Workbench, aren't all the segments in the TM already, isn't each segment written to the TM as the translation progresses? If they were not, they would not appear as matches or fuzzies along the same document.

I translate (my TM is updated), proofread, open/close the segment(s) that may need changing (my TM is updated), save the document, and run the macro. Document gets cleaned. I do not use the cleanup, ever. (I am lucky my clients do not ask for .bak files!)
Collapse

Sophie Holliday
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Dec 17, 2010

It all seems quite complicated but thanks for your answers.

Sandra & Kenneth Grossman
Sandra & Kenneth Grossman  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 18:39
French to English
+ ...
Use the cleaning function at your own risk... after saving your TM Dec 17, 2010

I stopped using the cleaning function after attempting to clean up a file that had an error. This simply caused my TM to become corrupted beyond recovery.

Nowadays, after finishing a translation, I simply run the file through Translate to Fuzzy to update the TM with the latest changes. Then I save the file under a different name and I close it (to save both the unclean and the clean version). Then I reopen the file to be cleaned and run the TW4winclean.main macro after pressing ALT
... See more
I stopped using the cleaning function after attempting to clean up a file that had an error. This simply caused my TM to become corrupted beyond recovery.

Nowadays, after finishing a translation, I simply run the file through Translate to Fuzzy to update the TM with the latest changes. Then I save the file under a different name and I close it (to save both the unclean and the clean version). Then I reopen the file to be cleaned and run the TW4winclean.main macro after pressing ALT+F8. Sometimes the macro doesn't run if you don't close/reopen the file.
Making a button in Word for the cleaning macro makes things much faster.
You can also use the Find and Replace function in Word, of course, but this is easier.
HTH

[Edited at 2010-12-17 19:32 GMT]
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Many people do change segments when they are closed Dec 17, 2010

When proofreading many people tent to change just the translation without opening the segments, as that is much faster. In that case no change would be implemented in TM, if you use the macro.
The method with macro cleaning is much faster an better one that using the Workbench, so I have been using this for years, not cleaning my documents in the Workbench at all. Tha way no problems appeared whatsoever with the document after cleanup. However, teling someone "you can clean your document u
... See more
When proofreading many people tent to change just the translation without opening the segments, as that is much faster. In that case no change would be implemented in TM, if you use the macro.
The method with macro cleaning is much faster an better one that using the Workbench, so I have been using this for years, not cleaning my documents in the Workbench at all. Tha way no problems appeared whatsoever with the document after cleanup. However, teling someone "you can clean your document using macro" is just the half of the truth, so this is why I always add the information about updating the TM.

Cleaning the document with macro is easy and fast.
It all seems quite complicated but thanks for your answers.

Why is this complicated, how shall I explain it to make that easier? What is complicated in pressing ALT+F8 and running a macro?
Collapse

Luisa Ramos, CT
United States
English to Spanish
Step by step Dec 17, 2010

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

When proofreading many people tent to change just the translation without opening the segments.

Yes, of course, some people get carried away and forget the basics.

The macro is better, faster, safer, less complicated... as long as you opened the segments to make the changes. If the document is not too long I do as Sangro does: make the changes to the closed segments, and run Translate to Fuzzy.

Luisa Ramos, CT
United States
English to Spanish
Running the macro to clean the document Dec 17, 2010

Sophie Holliday wrote:

Hello !

Now, these messages do not appear anymore but the progress for the cleaning is going forwards and then backwards very slowly. It even states that it's clean whereas it is not.
I have tried everything, can you help me find the problem ?

Thanks for your answers !

Assumptions:
If you are sure that you finished translating the document, and you are happy with the translation, and do not need to make any changes or you opened the affected segments to make any changes needed, and assuming you are using Word 2003, do this:

Save your document as filenameclean
Go to Tools
Select Macro
Go down the list to find a macro named: t4winclean.main
Click on that macro
Click on Run (upper right corner of the macros screen)

The macro will clean the source segments and all the codes from filenameclean. That is your clean document.

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Step by step Dec 17, 2010

Luisa Ramos, CT wrote:

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

When proofreading many people tent to change just the translation without opening the segments.

Yes, of course, some people get carried away and forget the basics.

The macro is better, faster, safer, less complicated... as long as you opened the segments to make the changes. If the document is not too long I do as Sangro does: make the changes to the closed segments, and run Translate to Fuzzy.

Running translate to fuzzy is a waste of time
Step by step for macro cleanup:

• Prepare a copy of the original file you've got from the customer
  • Translate this copy of Word document as usual
  • Adapt all necessary changes either way: by opening segments or just by editing translated text
  • Save the document!
  • Now save also a copy of the document in RTF format
  • Reopen the translated DOC document
  • Press ALT+F8, type TW in the line for macro name, let the TW4winclean.main run
  • Save the cleaned document
  • In Workbench open the corresponding translation memory
  • Use the cleanup funciton on the prepared RTF file to actualize your TM
  • Delete the cleaned RTF, but KEEP the *.bak file

That is the fastest and easiest way to cleanup documents without any problems.
If you just bear in mind, that the macro does not automatically clean headers and footers and also sometimes omits textboxes in your document you will save you stress in the future with this method.
However, all this applies just to translation in Word - and this is something I would drop completly. Just use TagEditor or Studio instead, as translating in Word is not reliable and Word is not a CAT tool.

Elfegas Sinushas
Elfegas Sinushas  Identity Verified
Lithuania
Local time: 18:39
English to Lithuanian
+ ...
Re: What I do when I have this problem Dec 18, 2010

I sometimes have exactly the same problem, when I try to clean the Trados 2007 translated files. There must be some internal error in your Office program like in my case.
One smart IT guy installed me a program from www.sysinternals.com, which shows all the running programs on the computer. When I have a problem with cleaning the file, I open this sysinternals application and start cleaning the Trados
... See more
I sometimes have exactly the same problem, when I try to clean the Trados 2007 translated files. There must be some internal error in your Office program like in my case.
One smart IT guy installed me a program from www.sysinternals.com, which shows all the running programs on the computer. When I have a problem with cleaning the file, I open this sysinternals application and start cleaning the Trados translated file. When I see that the file is being cleaned, I simply killed WORD running file (you need to double click on the WORD file and confirm that you want to kill the process). When you kill that WORD file, it no longer interferes with the file you want to be cleaned. Then the file is cleaned all right. I know it sounds very complicated, but it helps me.
Collapse

Sophie Holliday
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Dec 20, 2010

Thanks for all your answers and comments. I hope I will be able to clean my next file thanks to your advice !

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

cleaning word document with Trados Workbench

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »