SDL Studio 2009, can I build a glossary?
Thread poster: Marisol Padilla

Marisol Padilla  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:29
English to Spanish
Dec 18, 2010

Hi, I have a big project to translate, the client sent me a glossary (is huge). Is there any way I can build a glossary on SDL Studio 2009, so the TM can bring me the translations of those words while I work on the file?
Thanks!

Direct link Reply with quote

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 10:29
Member (2004)
English to Thai
+ ...
MultiTerm 2009 Dec 18, 2010

Your T2009 should have MultiTerm 2009 installed at the same time. MultiTerm create, upgrade, import [convert], export [extract] glossaries of various formats (Excel, tab delimited, MT5, tbx, txt, dic, mlb etc.) but Trados Studio can add or modify entry of your glossary. Read T2009 documentations on how to handle glossaries.

Soonthon Lupkitaro

Sanych_Msk  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 06:29
Member (2010)
English to Russian
New TermBase in MultiTerm Dec 18, 2010

Marisol Padilla wrote:

Is there any way I can build a glossary on SDL Studio 2009, so the TM can bring me the translations of those words while I work on the file?

Yes, you should start MultiTerm and choose "Create New TermBase". Then, the first thing you should do is name your future file. After that you may create something from a scratch or use one of the templates they suggest.

It is not so simple. I did it myself some time ago and it took me a couple of days (and some trial and error steps with reading Help instructions in between). But finally it works!

You may prepare a glossary, a dictionary, a multi-language specific terms compare list. You may add categories, comments, details. For my own purposes I found it useful, that names of database fields ("Category", "Gender", "Part of Speech") and pick-up list items ("Masculine", "Noun", "Verb") may be posted in Russian and in Cyrillic letters as well. Very much convenient ! (May be in Korean and Japanese scripts as well for those, who cares).

When you are through with the empty termbase, you may quit MultiTerm, open Trados Studio, attach your new termbase to the necessary project and start filling it in.

Good luck !

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 04:29
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
What format is customers glossary? Dec 18, 2010

Marisol Padilla wrote:

Hi, I have a big project to translate, the client sent me a glossary (is huge). Is there any way I can build a glossary on SDL Studio 2009, so the TM can bring me the translations of those words while I work on the file?
Thanks!

Can you create a table out of it? If yes, then you are just few steps from a working MultiTerm termbase with customers glossary. In that case use MultiTerm Convert to transfor an Excel table to MT termbase.

Bernard Lieber  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:29
English to French
+ ...
Easy enough Dec 18, 2010

The first step is to check the format of your client's glossary (txt, csv, etc.)
Run the Convert Wizard to turn your glossary into xml
Create a new Termbase
Select Catalog, right-click in the Catalog Categories, select Import in the window on the right, right-click on Default import definition, select Create and follow the instructions, just imported a 13MB glossary

Good luck

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL Studio 2009, can I build a glossary?

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search