Tag issue in Trados 2009
Thread poster: Nathalie Ohana

Nathalie Ohana  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:12
English to French
Dec 18, 2010

I translated a text with Trados.
There were a few tags in it which I ensure to not touch when I did the translation in the editor area.
When I finished I wanted to "view" the text in word and could'nt due to an error message stating that "a tag had been deleted". I was refered to a line which in actual fact contained ni tag, just ONE word.
I don't know how to sort it out and I'm completely prevented to view the text in word and be able to finalize it.
can someone please help me ? I don't want to have to redo the entire translation...
Thanks

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 22:12
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
copy source to target Dec 18, 2010

As you have identified the problem segment, just make sure the tags are identical to the source segment, in the same order, etc.

If you find this hard to do, copy your translated text (ctrl+C) and then simply "copy source to target" (ctrl+alt+k, although I can't remember if I have customised this) and paste your translated text where it should be.

HTH

You may not be able to see the tags if you have WYSIWYG enabled (ctrl+shift+H)
Check in Options>Editor> formatting display style. You should have "show all formatting and tags" enabled.

[Edited at 2010-12-18 13:02 GMT]

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Use the verifier now Dec 18, 2010

Go to Project, Project settings, open File formats, click the plus sign besides the corresponding format, select Tag verification and disable the option "Igore formatting tags" (it is enabled by default). Then click OK, press F8 and correct reported tag errors. By double clicking the errorr message you will brought to the place in document, where this error occurs.

United States
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
tag issue Dec 18, 2010

Emma, thanks but no go. Despite copying source to target, I still get an error message tag

Jerzy, in "project settings", I do have file TYPES but not file FORMATS and if this is the same, they are all clicked, what would be the next step ?
thanks,
Nathalie

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
File types Dec 18, 2010

sorry, my fault.
Please click the plus sign besides the format you are using. Select Tag verification, deselect "ignore formatting tags", then press OK. Now press F8 and resolve reported tag issues.

United States
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
getting there... Dec 18, 2010

Thanks, ok.
What does this message mean :
the pageitem start tag on line 1 does not match the end tag of P line 31 position 536 ?

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Tag mismatch Dec 18, 2010

I do not know what kind of tags are there, but the message is saying qiute clearly, that there is some tag mismatch.
Double click the message to get to the place in document, where the problem occurs.

United States
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
did what you said Dec 18, 2010

I did what you said, found where the problem was, copied the source so it would be exactly the same, still same message no matter what...
For one sentence, I'm going to have to retranslated entirely on word 2500 words. I don't know what to think.
Is there a possibility to completely ignore this segment ?

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Please make an experiment with untranslated source text Dec 18, 2010

Make a copy of you source text. Open that one in Studio. Before you translate anything just save the file as SDLXLIFF and then try to produce "target" translation.
What happens then?

United States
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
target translation Dec 18, 2010

ok, I have saved the file as you said. I produce "target" translation by clicking on "apply translation" ?
Thanks for your persistence with me...

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Just use "Save target as" Dec 18, 2010

Do not even apply any translations to the file. Just test if the source will save back in native format.

United States
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
saved Dec 18, 2010

Yes, I have the source text right there in the editor, in its original format.

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
well, then... Dec 18, 2010

If your not translated source does save in its original format after having been opened in Studio, then you have a tag problem caused by yourself.

Once again, to make it clear, and I hope you did it that way:
- Create a copy of your source document.
- Open this copy in Studio.
- Press CTRL+S to save it in SDLXLIFF format.
- Translate the first sentence.
- Go to File menu in Studio, chose "Save target as". Insert "Test" as a file name and press save.

If the document will now be produced without errors, you have a tag problem you caused when translating file. Should the file now not save properly, please report here.

United States
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
error Dec 19, 2010

Thank you very much but the document wasn't translated.

Abrigela
Hungarian to English
+ ...
Maybe try this Dec 19, 2010

Open your translated file and select half of the document. Right click and select clear translation and then press alt+shift+insert to copy source to target for that half of the document. Now try to save the target. If it works then you know which half of the document the problem is in; if it fails the problem is in the other half. Now open the translated document again and select half of the half that failed (I hope that is clear?) and repeat the process. Keep doing this until you can't save the target at all. Hopefully you will now have found the offending segment and you can either try to correct it in Studio, or correct it in the last target document that worked.

HTH

Abrigela.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Tag issue in Trados 2009

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search