Word not opening with Trados
Thread poster: gordana djordjevic
gordana djordjevic  Identity Verified
Serbia
Local time: 18:39
English to Serbian
+ ...
Dec 18, 2010

I am not quite a beginner but I managed to set my computer out of order. When I try to open a file in Word, I get a prompt Visual Basic/File not found. Then on Doc opens blaks and after some waiting the file I wanted. When I click on SDL icon, i get blocked, the prompt says something is wrong with my macroes, I cannot close the file in Word, I have to use Task manger to do so. Trados behaves OK but I cannot use my machine any more. What to do? What happened? Thanks.

Direct link Reply with quote

Adam Łobatiuk  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2009)
English to Polish
+ ...
The normal template Dec 18, 2010

Depending on the Word version, your settings and macros are stored in the normal.dot or normal.dotx file. If you don't have a lot of custom settings and macros of your own, you could try deleting this file. When you open Word again, it will create a new one. The location depends on the system, but it could be e.g. c:\Users\\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Templates\Normal.dot.

To be safe, you may want to make a back-up copy of the normal.dot file first.

If that doesn't help, try disabling/removing other template files you may have under Tools - Templates and Add ins.

gordana djordjevic  Identity Verified
Serbia
English to Serbian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Word not opening with Trados Dec 18, 2010

Thank you. It seems quite useful . However, I really had hard time trying to find Application Data. I do not know why but my computer somehow hid them. That is why I thought that perhaps some virus attacked me. But, everuthing else is working fine on my laptop. The only trouble is opening Word (going slow with one blank doc. and the required one with a prompt No file found). After trying to cilck SDL it gets completely stuck. Why do you think it happened?

Adam Łobatiuk  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2009)
English to Polish
+ ...
Application Data Dec 19, 2010

As I wrote before, the actual location of the normal.dot (.dotx) file depends on your system and Office version, which - by the way - you really should indicate when asking technical questions. On a Polish Windows system, you can have two such folders, one in English and one in Polish, so it could well be the case also on our language version. Probably the easiest way will be to search for the file directly using the Find or Search feature on your computer.

I don't know what exactly happened on your computer, but it sounds like some Word settings or data are corrupt, and that's why deleting normal.dot could help.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Word not opening with Trados

Advanced search

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search