Different translation in translation memory
Thread poster: jimshanks

jimshanks
Local time: 01:39
Dutch to English
Dec 19, 2010

If my memory serves me well, Translator's Workbench highlights when there is a different translation in the Translation Memory than the translation in the current segment, e.g. It shows the message Different target in TM, Use "Get" to update document or "Set" to update TM.
This if very useful for ensuring consitency.

However, I am at a loss to see how this functions in Studio 2009. If I change a segment in a file and that segment then appears in a later file (with the original translation) I cannot easily identify that I have changed this segment. This is particularly noticeable when I open the document for review or sign-off as part of my checking process.

Am I missing something? Is there a setting I need to change. This one really has me beaten at then moment, and I am sure there must be a simple explanation.

Thanks.

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 02:39
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Just watch your screen Dec 19, 2010

The bar with the name of the translation memory changes its coulour and there is "Different target in translation memory" noted there.

jimshanks
Dutch to English
TOPIC STARTER
I knew there would be a simple answer. Dec 19, 2010

Hi Jerzy,

Once again I am indebted to you for a swift and useful reply.
I knew it would be simple, the problem is that there is so much being displayed on my screen it is easy to loose track of the really important stuff.

This is going to make the next couple of days much easier for me.

Once again, many thanks,

Jim

[Edited at 2010-12-19 18:59 GMT]

welle
What about automatic check Feb 18, 2011

Hello,

and there is an option to run this in batch modus. QA seems not to help a lot in checking for different translations TM/segment!

Am I wrong?
Welle

bouscherb

German to English
Finding instances of "Different target in translation memory" automatically Feb 9, 2012

I think Welle was asking about this as well. Unfortunately, I don't know how to find instances of "Different target in translation memory" in a file either. Alt + X won't stop on them as it would in previous Trados versions. "Inconsistencies" under "Verify" isn't quite right either.

Anyone have any ideas how to search for these throughout a document without having to step through the units?

thanks, b

bewley  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
How you automatically apply the altered translation? Mar 7, 2013

Hello there, I'm translating a large document that the client keeps updating and I'm sick of having to manually select between two options when I come across a segment that I've already changed. How do I overwrite previous TM entries so that any changes I make are automatically applied rather than being told each time that there is a different target in the translation memory? It's quite urgent so anyone who can help is entitled to my undying gratitude!

jimshanks
Dutch to English
TOPIC STARTER
Translate to fuzzy? Mar 7, 2013

Would the translate to fuzzy feature not do this for you.
To quote from Mats Linder's excellent manual:
the program steps through each target segment – including confirmed ones (except PerfectMatches) – inserting every 100% match until it comes to a non-100% match (a “fuzzy” match, which may of course be 0%). If the TM hit is different from an existing target segment text, the process stops so you can edit if necessary.
Activate with Ctrl+Alt+F.
Stop translate to fuzzy with Esc
Hope this does the trick (and thanks to Mats for a wonderful manual!).
Jim

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Different translation in translation memory

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search