Rajan Chopra
India
Local time: 23:13
Member (2008)
English to Hindi
+ ...
Dec 19, 2010

Hello experts,

I am using Trados Freelance 7.0, Win XP and Office 2003. As and when I try to export my memory, it gets stuck at 6000 units and there is a message which says that I should reorganise my memory and when I try to organise it, it against gets stuck while analyzing at 6,000 units. Someone has told me it is because of the reason that the memory has become corrupt.

Could you plz. guide me in respect of the procedure to repair or fix it, if it is possible at
... See more
Hello experts,

I am using Trados Freelance 7.0, Win XP and Office 2003. As and when I try to export my memory, it gets stuck at 6000 units and there is a message which says that I should reorganise my memory and when I try to organise it, it against gets stuck while analyzing at 6,000 units. Someone has told me it is because of the reason that the memory has become corrupt.

Could you plz. guide me in respect of the procedure to repair or fix it, if it is possible at all? Otherwise, is some other solution there?

Regards,

Chopra

[Edited at 2010-12-20 01:41 GMT]
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 19:43
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
By creating a new TM Dec 19, 2010

Please create a new translation memory with exactly the same setup and
EXACTLY the same name, as the one which got corrupt.

Of course you need to create it in a different folder. The easiest way is to
copy the name of the TM, then start Workbench, select "New" from the file
menu, use the copy function to copy the settings of the corrupted TM into a
new one, which will get the same name (you can use the copied name via
clipboard).

Now close
... See more

Of course you need to create it in a different folder. The easiest way is to
copy the name of the TM, then start Workbench, select "New" from the file
menu, use the copy function to copy the settings of the corrupted TM into a
new one, which will get the same name (you can use the copied name via
clipboard).

Now close Workbench. Go to the folder, where the corrupted TM is, copy the
*.TMW file. Insert this file in the folder where the new TM has been
created. Of course you will overwrite the TMW file there, this is by
purpose.

Open the TM from the folder of the new TM and try now.

This procedure could help.
Collapse

Rajan Chopra
Rajan Chopra
India
Member (2008)
English to Hindi
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for your detailed and informative reply, but... Dec 20, 2010

the problem is persisting even though I created a new memory by following the procedure mentioned by you.

Is there some other method to solve it?

Regards,

Chopra

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 20:43
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Try older version from backup Dec 20, 2010

If you have backed up your TMs (perhaps on an external drive) you could be lucky and able to use this old version of your TM.
Just process your work since the backup date again (cleanup) and see what happens.
Regards
Heinrich

Rajan Chopra
Rajan Chopra
India
Member (2008)
English to Hindi
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for the great advice Dec 20, 2010

It is now only that I have come to know the importance of keeping the back up of important documents and translation memories. Had I retained a back up of TM, I would not have faced this issue.

Regards,

Chopra

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

If you have backed up your TMs (perhaps on an external drive) you could be lucky and able to use this old version of your TM.
Just process your work since the backup date again (cleanup) and see what happens.
Regards
Heinrich

kimjasper
kimjasper  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2006)
English to Danish
+ ...
Run export and/or update Dec 20, 2010

You can try to export the TM as a TMX file and then import the TMX file in a new TM. The export process may end with an error but there is a good chance that you at least get the segments up to the corrupted segment. If you receive errors when importing the TMX, it may be because the process ended with an error. In such a case, open the TMX file in a text editor (e.g. Notepad) and see what is missing by comparing it to a healthy TMX file. It is very likely that the file only is missing the XML e... See more
You can try to export the TM as a TMX file and then import the TMX file in a new TM. The export process may end with an error but there is a good chance that you at least get the segments up to the corrupted segment. If you receive errors when importing the TMX, it may be because the process ended with an error. In such a case, open the TMX file in a text editor (e.g. Notepad) and see what is missing by comparing it to a healthy TMX file. It is very likely that the file only is missing the XML end tags (exchange "[,]" with sharp brackets - had to use "[,]" because proz hide normal end tags)
[/body]
[/tmx]
[/xml]

You can also update the new TM with results of your own (or others') work by updating the TM from existing bilingual files (.doc or .ttx) with Tools>Translate in Workbench.

[Edited at 2010-12-20 08:32 GMT]
Collapse

Rajan Chopra
Rajan Chopra
India
Member (2008)
English to Hindi
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for your useful tip. Dec 20, 2010

But, as I mentioned earlier, I am unable to export and when I try to export, I get a message which directs me to reorganise and when I try to organise, the Workbench get stuck at 6500 units while analysing.

Regards,

Chopra

kimjasper wrote:

You can try to export the TM as a TMX file and then import the TMX file in a new TM.

Sandra & Kenneth Grossman
Sandra & Kenneth Grossman  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 20:43
French to English
+ ...
Read this thread, lots of good advice Dec 22, 2010

I don't know if any of these solutions will help, but you can try.

http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/80678-sdl_trados_8_2007_cannot_reorganise_tm_database_corrupted_workbench_gets_stuck_while_exporting.html

HTH

Rajan Chopra
Rajan Chopra
India
Member (2008)
English to Hindi
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks so much for this useful link. Dec 22, 2010

I'll try the methods mentioned in it.

Regards,

Chopra

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Format Dec 22, 2010

I know this is of no help to you, but situations like this make it painfully clear how deeply harmful proprietary formats are.
If SDL used some standard text or database format for its memories, this whole situation could not arise. You could always read or export your data with some other tool that knows how to filter out the corrupted bits.
As it is, they have their silly proprietary format, and when Trados corrupts its data and can't read its own TM files, you are SOL because no o
... See more
I know this is of no help to you, but situations like this make it painfully clear how deeply harmful proprietary formats are.
If SDL used some standard text or database format for its memories, this whole situation could not arise. You could always read or export your data with some other tool that knows how to filter out the corrupted bits.
As it is, they have their silly proprietary format, and when Trados corrupts its data and can't read its own TM files, you are SOL because no other software can. I believe the same applies to the new sdltm format as well.
Anyway, I hope you can solve this and report back on what worked.

I know it's in poor taste to say it now, but you really should have made backups. I back up my "Work" folder fairly regularly, and I also export my TMs to TMX every now and then. Trados TMs get corrupted with some regularity so it never hurts to have a TMX that you will always be able to access, come what may.
Collapse

Rajan Chopra
Rajan Chopra
India
Member (2008)
English to Hindi
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for your valuable advice. Dec 22, 2010

I was not aware that I would face such a situation. Keeping back up seems to be the only solution for this problem. I have got unclean copies of all the projects translated by me in the last two years by using Trados and since I don't have back up, I'll have to make a fresh memory by cleaning these unclean files.

Regards,

Chopra

FarkasAndras wrote:

I know it's in poor taste to say it now, but you really should have made backups. I back up my "Work" folder fairly regularly, and I also export my TMs to TMX every now and then. Trados TMs get corrupted with some regularity so it never hurts to have a TMX that you will always be able to access, come what may.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Method to fix a corrupt memory

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »