Thread poster: Hélène Curtis

Hélène Curtis  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 12:43
Member (2009)
English to French
+ ...
Dec 21, 2010

I don't know if the problem is from my end or the client's end. But lately, one of my clients has been complaining to me that Trados has been picking up several sentences at once instead of one by one. The files I receive from him are .inx files. When I open it and start working in it, I sometimes see whole paragraphs segmented to translate, sometimes just one sentence. So is the problem from my end or his end...and how to rectify?

Direct link Reply with quote

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 23:43
Member (2004)
English to Thai
+ ...
Segmentation rules Dec 21, 2010

In general, segments are split on full stop marks. But you can set other conditions e.g. splitting on every double full stop marks or after word space. "Preference/Options" in Trados 2007/2009 does the tricks. Many full stop marks follow with no space and many sentences can be selected as on long segment even in an entire paragraph. PDF, OCR, INX and special source format texts give this trouble.

Soonthon Lupkitaro

Mickey Argaman  Identity Verified
Israel
Member (2006)
English to Hebrew
+ ...
several sentences in one segment Dec 21, 2010

Try to use the shrink option:
In TagEditor, go to Workbench>Shrink segment, of use the shortcut "Alt+Ctrl+Page Up".
Sometimes TagEditor does not split segments well, and this option will help you do that manually.

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 19:43
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Nice feature Dec 21, 2010

When you split these chunks into reasonable sentences your TM will not find any matches at the next occasion and your customer has to pay again. I love this feature of Trados. But not only Trados, the same happens in Wordfast too, only that with Wf splitting is so much easier. I wonder how to do it in Studio?

Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:43
French to Polish
+ ...
Alternative tools Dec 21, 2010

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

When you split these chunks into reasonable sentences your TM will not find any matches at the next occasion and your customer has to pay again. I love this feature of Trados.

Me too
DVX and memoQ are able to recompose this kind of sentences and "fix" the bad segmentation, it works even if they're separated by hard returns.
DVX is more flexible, MQ is more automated.
As I use DVX as metaeditor, I simply split/join sentences as I like.
As I import presegmented Trados files, I maintain also TMs with the Trados segmentation.

But not only Trados, the same happens in Wordfast too, only that with Wf splitting is so much easier. I wonder how to do it in Studio?

Just like the old Trados.
It's unable to recompose (glue) sentences automatically and the manual insertion is a pain in the neck.

Cheers
GG

Ali M. Alsaqqa  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:43
English to Arabic
mmm... Jan 23, 2011

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.) wrote:

In general, segments are split on full stop marks. But you can set other conditions e.g. splitting on every double full stop marks or after word space. "Preference/Options" in Trados 2007/2009 does the tricks. Many full stop marks follow with no space and many sentences can be selected as on long segment even in an entire paragraph. PDF, OCR, INX and special source format texts give this trouble.

Soonthon Lupkitaro

I added a segmentaion rule based on a comma
closed the file
reopened it again but still Trados do not change anything; I have
a long segments containing several sentences.

Any ideas?

[Edited at 2011-01-23 12:21 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

several sentences in one segment

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search