Tips for the best way to homogenize 250 DITA/TTX files (60,000 words)?
Thread poster: David Jessop

David Jessop  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Dec 21, 2010

Hello...

A client has requested I homogenize some 250 files (approx. 60,000 words) that were worked on by three separate translators.

All translators used TagEditor for this project and we (I was one of them) were asked to produce target (DITA, their original format) and bilingual (TTX) files.

While I would be open to using Studio 2009 for the homogenization process, I am not sure if it will be possible given the client will likely want target and bilingual files for this as well.

Given that in some cases this project will involve comparing terminology for around 250 files at the same time, I am at a loss for some ways I could make this easier on myself.

Has anyone done something like this before? Any tips or thoughts on how I could do this the most efficient and successful way?

Thanks for any help.

David

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 07:13
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Use Studio project Dec 21, 2010

Use SDL Trados Studio 2009.
Create a project using the TTX files translated by your colleagues. In the step where you add files merge the files. This way you will have one (quite big) file to work with.
But you will be able to make it consistent in easy way.

Of course you will be then able to produce bilingual TTX files and the target files too.

[Edited at 2010-12-21 20:42 GMT]

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Several ways Dec 21, 2010

Hello David,
Jerzy was quicker with this idea, but yes, you can use Studio for this job and produce target bilingual TTX files.

Or you can use third-party tools, such as Apsic Xbench or Yamagata QA Distiller. They are both great.

Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
More details please Dec 21, 2010

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

Use SDL Trados Studio 2009.
Create a project using the TTX files translated by your colleagues. In the step where you add files merge the files. This way you will have one (quite big) file to work with.
But you will be able to make it consistent in easy way.

Of course you will be then able to produce bilingual TTX files and the target files too.

[Edited at 2010-12-21 20:42 GMT]

Hi Jerzy,

Thanks for the tip. But then how would I go about:

1)After completing the homogenization process, unmerge the files? Is there a process for that in Studio?

2)Creating bilingual TTX and DITA FILES? My understanding is that Studio cannot create bilingual files.

Thanks for any further details!

Best,
David

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Unmerging files: a piece of cake Dec 21, 2010

You can use the "Finalize" batch task. This will update the TM and produce target translations.
But what is target translation? If you know Studio, you should know, that it always produces source format for final translation. Now what is your source format in that case? Correct - TTX files. So this will produce a bunch of TTX files.
To produce the "real" target (this is the target of the TTX files in fact) you can either use Save target as, chosing as many times as necessary the DITA format or much easier the process in the Workbench. It is somehow mistakingly still called "Clean up", however in your case it will be just used to deliver target files.

TTX files are the only exception when Studio can produce TARGEt bilingual files. Usually the only bilingual format is SDLXLIFF, but here TTX is also bilingual.

Just test the process with some 10 or 20 files... But believe me, this will work.
The only problem you may have is the sheer size of the file after merging.
When you succed to merge files remember to presS CTRL+S after any significant change on the file, as otherwise you may loose it. The chance you may get "Out of memory exception" is unfortunately quite high.

Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Dec 21, 2010

Thank you Jerzy. I will try this all out and let you know how it works.

Best,
David

Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
validation error when merging files Dec 24, 2010

Hi Jerzy et al,

When I went to merge about half the files (145), I received the following error:

Line 7059 offset 1036 in file: C:\Documents and Settings\Desktop\project\en-GB\project.sdlxliff

Then Studio crashes. When I load Studio again and try to open the file, boom, crashes again.

I have also tried reducing the number of files to approximately 50 and the same thing happens.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

David

[Edited at 2010-12-24 22:51 GMT]

Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Free program does it much better than a $900 program! Dec 26, 2010

I tried getting all the files to load into Studio every which way imaginable with error codes and crashes throughout. When I was finally about to do it, 25 files merged into one in 10 batches, it was so slow and cumbersome it seemed almost pointless. I spent about four hours total trying such tomfoolery.

I now know I was simply wasting my time.

I learned how to work with Xbench and man, am I impressed! The program does everything Studio should do and working in collaboration with TagEditor, it is fast and efficient..

What's really boggling my mind is Xbench is free and I emptied my wallet to the tune of $900 for Studio. Maybe Studio is the "marketing leader" but the market leader? Come on.

Maybe SDL will need to spend another $100 million in so-called R&D to learn to do what a free program like Xbench does.

Am I insane to think of this situation as just a bit ridiculous?

David

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Tips for the best way to homogenize 250 DITA/TTX files (60,000 words)?

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search