Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Studio/Trados 2007 and new MacBook Air, experiences?
Thread poster: David Jessop

David Jessop  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Dec 22, 2010

Hello...

I know the discussion about Trados and a Mac has gone on before but much of it seems to be dated and with how quickly technology changes, even a few months can mean a big performance difference.

I am in love with the new MacBook Air. I am considering buying a 13" with 4 GB RAM, a 2.13 GHz Intel Core duo processor, and a 256 GB SSD for storage; this is the fastest MacBook Air made.

But I just bought something that was as expensive as many new computers and I am made to believe I can't live without... Studio 2009. I also need TagEditor and Trados 2007.

I am wondering about your experience running these programs with late generation MacBooks, especially the MacBook Air. Along those same lines, I am wondering about Studio/Trados performance using Parallel Desktop versus Boot Camp because, while I would install both, not having to reboot into Windows would be the most convenient option.

Please respond with your Mac's specs so I can get somewhat of an idea for comparison.

Thanks for any help.

Best,
David

[Edited at 2010-12-22 06:34 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

Anja Weggel  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:26
Member (2007)
English to German
MacBook & Mac Pro Dec 22, 2010

I use both MacBook (bought 2009) and MacPro (bought 2008) with VMWare Fusion (latest version) and Trados 2009. I never experienced any problems and I am quite happy with it. Like you, I wanted the convenience of simply opening the emulation instead of booting the system everytime I need Trados. Since I use Trados extensively this wouldn't be practical. But in any case, I can recommend the combination Mac + VMWare + Trados 2009. Having said that, it is of course beneficial to have as much power (ressources) as possible. Naturally, my MacPro is faster than my MacBook. In a good Apple store you should be able to have a good look at the MacBook Air. If you are satisfied with the speed, it should be ok with the emulation as well.

If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask

All the best
Anja

Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
VMware vs. Parallels? Dec 22, 2010

Thanks Anja. Was there anything that led you to use VMWare instead of Parallels? In the small amount of research I have done, it appears that VMWare outperforms Parallels...

Best,
David

Member (2007)
English to German
VMWare Dec 22, 2010

Well, it was a rather quick decision since booting all the time is simply not practical. So convenience and feasibilty were the main points. I also went to an Apple Store where they showed me both programs and again VMWare seemed more practical.

I can't give you any (performance) numbers, I am afraid but I have been working with this configuration for over two years now and it works fine for me. I open VMWare like any other program on Mac and use the installed Windows XP like any other Windows XP. I mainly work with Trados there. Everything else is basically on my Mac (Mail, Browser, etc.). In addition, VMWare has an option called "Snapshot". It allows you to create a mirror of your running Windows emulation. So if your Windows crashes you can simply reset it by going back to this mirror. I even use this when I experience minor problems since it is really fast. It already saved me a lot of time.

If you are already familiar with Mac you know that you can switch easily between programs by sliding with your mouse in one of the corners. Again, to me the emulation is simply another program on my computer. And even better, I now have to computers in one machine. I can use all the Mac apps and all the Windows apps. Depending on your machine the emulation is a bit slower but otherwise it works fine.

Best Regards
Anja

Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Satisfaction? Dec 22, 2010

Thanks Anja. I am wondering now a more general question: could you rate your general satisfaction with your Macs, especially as a translator? I don't know if you have been a lifelong Apple user but I have never had a Mac. I know that Mac users generally report a higher level of satisfaction than PC users and I love my iPhone, iPod, and iPad. I have had about all I can take of the frequent problems with PCs, especially given that my professional life depends on my PC and I simply don't have the time to always be fixing or diagnosing things that should work correctly in the first place.

Best,
David

Member (2007)
English to German
absolutely :-) Dec 22, 2010

Until 2008 I worked with a PC with all the usual problems which as you know can be quite severe. I was really sick of it because as you said, a computer is a tool that should simply work.
In 2008 I decided to get a new computer and a friend of mine recommended Mac. I was really sceptical at first because I had all the old clichés in mind "you need a long time to get used to it", "there is no compatability", "you will not be able to get all the programms you want". Honestly, none of this is true. It took me less than a week to get used to it, it is much more intuitive than a PC (as you probably also noticed on your iphone, etc.). As for the compatibility, there is a Microsoft Office for Mac, all Adobe programs are available for Mac and there are a thousand of other programs that are available on the internet. Having said that, there are of course specialized programs that only work with Windows (like Trados, the Duden spell checker for German, some specialized dictionaries). So, withouth VMWare it would probably not working for me since I also like to use Trados. I still hope that one day they will have Trados for Mac but I don't expect that they will do it. And finally, my working tool just works. In the last two years my Mac hung up once and a simple reboot fixed the problem. I am quite happy with my Mac, it is a major improvement over all the PC's I had in my life. The Windows on my VMWare is however still Windows so it has all the usual problems although I have to say that I did not have any severe problems in the last two years with it. The "Snapshot" function I described in my last post makes things easier since you can quickly reset the system which saves a lot of time you usually spend searching for problems.

As you may have gathered by now, I became a real Mac aficionado and wouldn't give up my Mac for the world. Of course, it all depends on your needs and your way to work and I can only speak for myself here.

Let me know how you decide And feel free to ask if you need more info...

Best Regards
Anja

[Edited at 2010-12-22 11:58 GMT]

[Edited at 2010-12-22 11:58 GMT]

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 13:26
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Costs? Dec 22, 2010

And how about the costs including everything to emulate Windows? Would like to know?
Regards
Heinrich

Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
One step closer Dec 22, 2010

Hi Anja,

Thanks to you I am one step closer to buying myself a late Christmas present.

Best,
David

P.S. Heinrich: costs for adding Windows VM support are extremely reasonable. Search for "VMWare Fusion" or "Parallel Desktop". Also bears mentioning that Boot Camp comes free with OS X and this program will allow you to boot into a Windows environment although it does not provide the quick "on the fly" switching as Anja helpfully described.

[Edited at 2010-12-22 14:49 GMT]

FarkasAndras
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Impractical unless you need OS X Dec 22, 2010

It should work fine. However it adds a whole lot of unnecessary cost and complexity (and of course, the complexity inevitably means some performance loss and a couple more things to go wrong).

If you need OS X for some reason, or you are in love with it and you prefer to do most of your daily computing in OS X and you only fire up Win/Trados occasionally, then it makes sense to get a mac. If you will be using Trados most of the time anyway, you should just get a windows computer and save yourself the headache and expense.

Lenovo's X201 and X301 are fairly close to the air in size/weight/performance, as is Toshiba's R700/R705. They have matte displays which is a huge advantage if you plan to use the thing for work when you're out and about. I have an R700, and I have no complaints (apart from the fan being really loud when the CPU is stressed, but then it has a very powerful CPU so I expected that).
BTW the air has an outdated processor (core2duo). The X201 and the R700 come with the much better i5 and i7 processors, so if performance matters, the answer is clear. (I think Lenovo's 13-inch X3xx family hasn't been updated to core i5/i7 yet.)

Of course the low-voltage core2duo in the air - which pales in comparison with the proper, non-ULV core i5 in the Toshiba - is still more than powerful enough for many people, and if you are in love with the looks, why not... it's a workable option.

Member (2007)
English to German
Costs... Dec 22, 2010

@Heinrich: I agree with David. To have a Mac with Windows, you only need VMWare (a quick look told me that it costs around 70 Euro) and a copy of your preferred Windows version. And then you have the costs for all the programs you usually have on your PC (Trados, Office, Adobe, etc.). This is of course your choice then.

@David: I am glad I could help
By the way, the MacBook Air really looks stylish... plus it has the adorable TrackPad

Merry Christmas & happy new year!
Best Regards
Anja

Sergei Tumanov  Identity Verified
English to Russian
+ ...
Parallels desktop here Dec 22, 2010

I vote for Parallels desktop.

Works fine for me.
I switch between Windows XP and Mac programs by a simple combination of Ctrl+Tab keys.
It takes seconds.

++
prices
http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=parallels%20desktop&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8#q=parallels%20desktop&hl=en&client=safari&rls=en&prmd=ivns&source=univ&tbs=shop:1&tbo=u&ei=yisSTYbJD8yxhAfq5qS3Dg&sa=X&oi=product_result_group&ct=title&resnum=3&ved=0CD4QrQQwAg&biw=1320&bih=687&fp=a20cfd04ba3c5cf9

[Edited at 2010-12-22 17:02 GMT]

Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Parallels Dec 22, 2010

Sergei Tumanov wrote:

I vote for Parallels desktop.

Works fine for me.
I switch between Windows XP and Mac programs by a simple combination of Ctrl+Tab keys.
It takes seconds.

Good deal, as I was saying it appears that there is some evidence that the current version of Parallels runs faster than VMWare but who knows.

Do you use Trados and / or other intensive apps? What kind of Mac do you have and how does it all run?

Best,
David

English to Russian
+ ...
MacBook Pro 15' here Dec 22, 2010

I use windows rather intensively
I have never experienced any problems with efficiency.
Instead of Snapshot feature - mentioned earlier - I use standard Windows restore points. Works fine either.

English to Russian
+ ...
screenshot Dec 22, 2010

Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Systems are apples and oranges Dec 22, 2010

FarkasAndras wrote:

It should work fine. However it adds a whole lot of unnecessary cost and complexity (and of course, the complexity inevitably means some performance loss and a couple more things to go wrong).

If you need OS X for some reason, or you are in love with it and you prefer to do most of your daily computing in OS X and you only fire up Win/Trados occasionally, then it makes sense to get a mac. If you will be using Trados most of the time anyway, you should just get a windows computer and save yourself the headache and expense.

Lenovo's X201 and X301 are fairly close to the air in size/weight/performance, as is Toshiba's R700/R705. They have matte displays which is a huge advantage if you plan to use the thing for work when you're out and about. I have an R700, and I have no complaints (apart from the fan being really loud when the CPU is stressed, but then it has a very powerful CPU so I expected that).
BTW the air has an outdated processor (core2duo). The X201 and the R700 come with the much better i5 and i7 processors, so if performance matters, the answer is clear. (I think Lenovo's 13-inch X3xx family hasn't been updated to core i5/i7 yet.)

Of course the low-voltage core2duo in the air - which pales in comparison with the proper, non-ULV core i5 in the Toshiba - is still more than powerful enough for many people, and if you are in love with the looks, why not... it's a workable option.

I think you are comparing apples and oranges. There is more to computer speed than processors. The SSD in the Air is supposed to add a significant speed boost as well as the excellent components that Apple uses. Also it should be noted that the benchmark tests for the new 1.8 Ghz Air put it at double the speed of the old 2.13 Ghz Air.

My current laptop is a Lenovo T400 with a 2.8 Ghz processor and 3 GB processor and I couldn´t be more dissapointed. It is buggy as all get up, freezes on a regular basis, blue screens of death like you wouldn´t believe, hours wasted on fixing driver incompatibility issues, and for the processor speed claims, very clunky. I am looking forward to using Mac OS X whenever possible and only reserving Windows for Trados and maybe another program or two that do not run on OS X. I have had it up to my ears with Windows machines.

David

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio/Trados 2007 and new MacBook Air, experiences?

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search