Thread poster: maker
maker  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 05:45
Member (2007)
English to Swedish
+ ...
Dec 22, 2010

A customer wants to know whether I can send back the translated itd-files as bilingual itd-files.
Can someone please help me explain how to do it, if it's possible?
And please don't just write "yes, it's possible"... How, please.

Direct link Reply with quote

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 11:45
Member (2004)
English to Thai
+ ...
*.itd file = SDL Edit bilingual file Dec 22, 2010

This ls already clear since *.itd file = SDL Edit bilingual file. I guess you know how to translate with SDLX (SDL Edit) in Trados 2007 package.

Soonthon Lupkitaro

Luisa Ramos, CT  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:45
Member (2004)
English to Spanish
Take a look at this Dec 22, 2010

http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/183700-urgent_request_sdlx_format_itd_file.html

This reply may not be what you are looking for, but it may give you a place to start your search for a solution within the forums.

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Do you have SDLX or Studio? Dec 22, 2010

If not, the answer is no.
If yes, just translate the file provided - in SDLX it will remain itd, in Studio you will just need to use the Finalize batch task or the function Save target as.

maker  Identity Verified
Sweden
Member (2007)
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I'm using Studio 2009 Dec 22, 2010

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

If not, the answer is no.
If yes, just translate the file provided - in SDLX it will remain itd, in Studio you will just need to use the Finalize batch task or the function Save target as.

Yes I'm using Studio 2009, not SDLX, and I'll just do a "Save target as" - "SDL Edit Document" then it seems.

[Edited at 2010-12-22 15:58 GMT]

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
When you get (open) an ITD file, you can produce ITD as target Dec 22, 2010

and this target will be bilingual.
However, if you DID not receive ITD file, you will NOT be able to produce one in Studio.
In that case you would first need to start SDLX, then open the file there, save as ITD and open that ITD in Studio.

To make things easier: Studio produces as target EXACTLY the same format which has been opened there. If you open a DOC file, your target will be DOC (the same version).
When you open an IDML file (InDesign), you will get an IDML file as target.
The same applies to ITD or TTX - ITD or TTX opened, ITD or TTX respectively as target.
But because TTX or ITD files are so called "intermediate formats" and have been themselves created out of for example doc, inx, xml or other source format, in Studio you can save TTX or ITD respectively as target AND additionaly the primary source format, which has been used when creating TTX or ITD.

maker  Identity Verified
Sweden
Member (2007)
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes Dec 22, 2010

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

and this target will be bilingual.
However, if you DID not receive ITD file, you will NOT be able to produce one in Studio.
In that case you would first need to start SDLX, then open the file there, save as ITD and open that ITD in Studio.

To make things easier: Studio produces as target EXACTLY the same format which has been opened there. If you open a DOC file, your target will be DOC (the same version).
When you open an IDML file (InDesign), you will get an IDML file as target.
The same applies to ITD or TTX - ITD or TTX opened, ITD or TTX respectively as target.
But because TTX or ITD files are so called "intermediate formats" and have been themselves created out of for example doc, inx, xml or other source format, in Studio you can save TTX or ITD respectively as target AND additionaly the primary source format, which has been used when creating TTX or ITD.

I received an .itd-file.
Thank you very much for your clear and explanatory reply.
It was very helpful.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Help create bilingual itd

Advanced search

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search