QUERY: SDL Trados Studio 2009 Trial Version
Thread poster: jane mg

jane mg  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 10:42
Italian to English
+ ...
Dec 23, 2010

Can anyone tell me what exactly my contractual obligations are if I okay the license agreement? I tried asking their online chat person and got no response; I also emailed the Paul who replies to queries on this forum via his profile, no response.
A colleague pointed out eslewhere that SDL is now using the same license agreement on all its products, demos or otherwise. It reads as a commitment to buy, but personally if I do buy I'll probably take advantage of the Proz Group Buy discount and don't want to be channeled into paying any more than I need to.
Thanks in advance.
Jane

Direct link Reply with quote

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
No commitment to buy, AFAIK Dec 23, 2010

Hello Jane,
I would be taken aback if the trial version included a commitment to buy. Sounds pretty illogical to me...

Italy
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Hi Stanislav Dec 24, 2010

Thanks for your reply.

Maybe I'm being a bit too paranoid here, but first of all I searched in vain on the Trial Version download page of the SDL site for a description of the terms of use and thought it a bit odd that there wasn't one. In my experience you usually agree to the terms before, not after, you download a demo.

The license agreement states:
In consideration of you agreeing to abide by these terms and for payment in full of the license fee, SDL grants to you with effect from the date of installation by you of the software a non-exclusive, non-transferable license to use the software on these terms.

What I'd like to know is whether this payment in full implies you can't take advantage of discounts or special offers, given that they can mean 2-300 euros difference in price.

I guess I'll just have to sit on those itchy fingers and wait till someone from SDL come up with an answer.

Thanks again and Happy Holidays

Jane

Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
French to German
+ ...
"Demo version" simply means "trial period" Dec 25, 2010

jane mg wrote:

Thanks for your reply.

Maybe I'm being a bit too paranoid here, but first of all I searched in vain on the Trial Version download page of the SDL site for a description of the terms of use and thought it a bit odd that there wasn't one. In my experience you usually agree to the terms before, not after, you download a demo.

The license agreement states:
In consideration of you agreeing to abide by these terms and for payment in full of the license fee, SDL grants to you with effect from the date of installation by you of the software a non-exclusive, non-transferable license to use the software on these terms.

What I'd like to know is whether this payment in full implies you can't take advantage of discounts or special offers, given that they can mean 2-300 euros difference in price.

I guess I'll just have to sit on those itchy fingers and wait till someone from SDL come up with an answer.

Thanks again and Happy Holidays

Jane

Jane

Technically spoken, there is no difference between the file you download as a "demo version" and the fully licensed version. The way it works is that any installation of Studio on a computer on which it has never been installed before will run as a full-fledged version of the product for a trial period of 30 days. It is only after these 30 days expire that you will have to enter a license key. Depending on the nature of the key you enter, your software will then become a fully licensed Freelance, Professional or Starter version. This also means that the terms of use apply to the purchase of the license more than to the download of the installer file. You don't purchase the installer, but the license key. This is the way I see it.

Walter

Italy
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, Walter Dec 25, 2010

Yes, you're quite right. It's just that as I'm stingy I'd like to be sure the 'payment in full' clause doesn't eliminate the various discount options available.
Buone feste
Jane

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
No Committment Dec 26, 2010

Hi Jane,

I can confirm that taking the trial does not oblige you at all. You can still purchase the license through any group buy or otherwise if you want to.

Regards

Paul

Italy
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, Paul Dec 26, 2010

Terrific, that's what I needed to know.

Happy Holidays

Regards
Jane

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

QUERY: SDL Trados Studio 2009 Trial Version

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search