Thread poster: Spirkoska
Spirkoska  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 21:20
English to Macedonian
+ ...
Dec 23, 2010

Hi,

I hope someone might help, or tell me if this was solved at some other place.
Namely, I received some word files to translate into Macedonian, along with a TM export. But, the TM is displaying the Cyrillic characters in some strange code. Here is an example: the word Content should be Содржина, but is being displayed like this: Ñîäğæèíà. These characters are definitively not Cyrillic. I tried to replace each of these character for its Cyrillic representation, and then reimported the TM, but it only partially solved the problem. Some of the words are being displayed in Cyrillic, and the rest are not changed. There seems that there is a problem of defining the fonts in the TM, but I don't know how to change it. I set the default font and unknown fonts to be displayed as Arial - no success again.
The segments are displayed in the same way on project manager's PC, so it is not a problem with my PC. I am using MS Word 2007, and Translator's Workbench 8.3, from Trados 2007.
Has anyone out there encountered such a problem so far? And more important, a solution to such a problem?
Any advice is welcomed.

Thanks

Direct link Reply with quote

Adam Łobatiuk  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2009)
English to Polish
+ ...
Web browser / Word Dec 24, 2010

Try opening the file in a web browser, and set the encoding to Cyrillic Windows (or possibly another Cyrillic encoding). When you get the characters right, copy the content and paste it into a new text file and save it as your import file.

Alternatively, you can do a similar thing opening it as a text file in Word, and choosing the right Cyrillic encoding.

I tried doing that with the word you provided and I got weird spaces, but maybe you'll be luckier.

Germany
English to Macedonian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Nope :( Dec 24, 2010

Thanks Adam, I tried that, but it doesn't help. I tried almost every encoding available in Word, but it just gives different characters, not the ones that I need.
I was checking the TM txt export file, and it looks like the problems are coming from a font named PMinGliu (or similar).
Maybe it matters, maybe it doesn't, but I got the TM from Turkey and it was created some 4 years ago. Something to do with language support, maybe?

esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:20
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
Yes, it’s encoding Dec 24, 2010

Spirkoska wrote:

the word Content should be Содржина, but is being displayed like this: Ñîäğæèíà.

I have pasted
Code:
Ñîäğæèíà

to a text editor (UniRed, but any other capable of handling multiple encodings must be OK) and saved it as a text file in CP1254 (Windows Turkish encoding) then I opened the file as CP1251 and got (surprise, surprise! Well, not actually, I expected it):
Code:
Содржина

word files to translate into Macedonian

You did not specify the source language. Is this a top secret? The solution may depend on it. You should better also share your TM (better exported into TMX) to see what can be done.

Germany
English to Macedonian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER

Well thank you very much, esperantisto! I will try it immediately as soon as I go back to the PC that has the TM.
The source language is English, sorry not to mention it, but I thought it could be obvious from the example.
As for the sharing of the TM, I don't think that I can do that, I have to ask for permission first.
Anyway, thanks again. I hope it will work with the whole TM, too.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados TM, problem displaying Cyrillic segments

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search