Creating Of Translation Memory Trados 2009
Thread poster: zocipro

zocipro
Local time: 22:19
English to Macedonian
+ ...
Dec 27, 2010

Hi to all,

I need real help with creating translation memory of already translated file via Excel. I have it the file, but can find way to create translation memory at Trados 2009.

Can u help me ?

Thanks,
ZORAN

Direct link Reply with quote

Jean-Pierre Artigau
Canada
Local time: 16:19
English to French
+ ...
Convert into Trados 2009 Dec 27, 2010

You would have to do this
- create two separate corresponding excel files (one for each language)
- in WinAlign, create a New Project (File, New Project) put in the two files in their proper places, then in the "Export" tab, check "Translation Memory Exchange Format (TMX)
- align both documents save your WinAlign "project" (PJT file), then "export" this file into a "TMX" file, which is Trados 2009-compatible
- then create a new memory in Trados 2009 and import the content of your TMX file into your memory file.

This should do the job.

Bernard Lieber  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Conversion Dec 27, 2010

As a quick fix, I would use SDL Multiterm 2009 Convert - run the Wizard and select Excel format.

Bernard

zocipro
English to Macedonian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
WinAlign Dec 27, 2010

Jean-Pierre Artigau wrote:

- in WinAlign, create a New Project (File, New Project) put in the two files in their proper places, then in the "Export" tab, check "Translation Memory Exchange Format (TMX)
- align both documents save your WinAlign "project" (PJT file), then "export" this file into a "TMX" file, which is Trados 2009-compatible
- then create a new memory in Trados 2009 and import the content of your TMX file into your memory file.

This should do the job.

where can find WinAlign ? Have only Trados 2009

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 04:19
Member (2004)
English to Thai
+ ...
WinAlign is in Trados Suite 2007, not Trados Studio 2009 Dec 28, 2010

To maker it clearer, WinAlign is in Trados Suite 2007 package, not Trados Studio 2009 (you will also get it when purchase the T2009 software).

Soonthon Lupkitaro

Jean-Pierre Artigau
Canada
Local time: 16:19
English to French
+ ...
In Trados 2007 Dec 28, 2010

As Soonthon said, Winalign should have been installed with Trados Suite 2007, which was delivered to you (you should have downloaded it) with Trados 2009. Trados Suite 2007 and 2009 should be installed side by side. If you haven't installed 2007 yet (including Winalign) you should be able to do it now by going back to your downloaded files.
If needed, you can go on your personal space in the SDL Website to download the software that was included in the price when you purchased Trados 2009.

Bernard Lieber  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Shortcomings Dec 28, 2010

Hi,

This is another shortcoming of Studio 2009 among many others. Most other TMs handle csv files, in particular DéjàVu X - if you want send me your Excel file and I'll fix it up for you tomorrow morning and I'll send you a tmx you'll be able to import into Studio 2009, still don't understand why so many free-lance translators use Trados even if I've noticed some sort of improvement in the interface but flaws are still numerous.

Best regards,

Bernard

[Edited at 2010-12-28 23:09 GMT]

FarkasAndras
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Howto Dec 29, 2010

http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/185962-creare_una_tm_da_due_file_distinti.html#1630277

Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
French to German
+ ...
This would not create a TM but a termbase! Dec 29, 2010

Bernard Lieber wrote:

As a quick fix, I would use SDL Multiterm 2009 Convert - run the Wizard and select Excel format.

Bernard

Zoran asked how to create a 'translation memory'. What you suggest will create a termbase, which is something completely different.

Walter

Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
French to German
+ ...
Do not export TMX directly from WinAlign Dec 29, 2010

This should do the job.

The suggested procedure is the correct one, except that you should not export to TMX from WinAlign, because the TMX export in WinAlign is 'buggy'. Instead, you should export to TXT, import this into a newly created TM in Workbench 2007 and then convert this 2007 TM to 2009 format using the Upgrade Wizard in Studio.
This is the procedure recommended by SDL and posted in this forum about a month ago.

Walter

FarkasAndras
English to Hungarian
+ ...
"Correct" Dec 29, 2010

Walter Blaser wrote:

This should do the job.

The suggested procedure is the correct one, except that you should not export to TMX from WinAlign, because the TMX export in WinAlign is 'buggy'. Instead, you should export to TXT, import this into a newly created TM in Workbench 2007 and then convert this 2007 TM to 2009 format using the Upgrade Wizard in Studio.
This is the procedure recommended by SDL and posted in this forum about a month ago.

Walter

It is technically correct, but it's a poor solution in my opinion. It works, but it's a pain. WinAlign is awful, so it's best to avoid it when possible. If the xls files are in sync and you don't want to segment the text further (i.e. you are happy to keep one cell as one segment) then it's best to just generate a TMX straight out of the xls and not allow WinAlign to drive you mad with its lunatic procedures and then screw it all up for you.
Generating a TMX with my tool or any other TMX maker out of a 50,000 line table should take 15 minutes including 12 minutes spent studying the readme. With WinAlign, you could be spending an hour deciphering the software, and another 2 hours manually aligning if it decides to segment your text for you and thus push the columns out of alignment.

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
starter version of 2009? Dec 29, 2010

zocipro wrote:

As others have pointed out, WinAlign forms part of Trados 2007, which comes bundled with Studio 2009 Freelance version.

Note that the Starter Version of Studio 2009 does not come with 2007 and therefore lacks the WinAlign app. That may be why you can't find it.

zocipro
English to Macedonian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
right Dec 29, 2010

Emma Goldsmith wrote:

zocipro wrote:

As others have pointed out, WinAlign forms part of Trados 2007, which comes bundled with Studio 2009 Freelance version.

Note that the Starter Version of Studio 2009 does not come with 2007 and therefore lacks the WinAlign app. That may be why you can't find it.

yes, totally right..

jxiat
Local time: 06:19
Unable to fully import TMX to Trados Jan 20, 2011

Hello, Trados masters.

I just started using Trados 2009 and having a tough time.

Just like Zoran,
my ambition is to utilize my translation resources that
I acquired over the years in the form of xls files.

So this thread has been quite helpful to me too.

Following the advice by FarkasAndras, I created TMX with using LFaligner.
I also partially followed Walter's advice, and created TMX with SDLX aligner.
(thanks to you guys, I made a big progress!)

But neither of the TMX files made it to be TM in trados.
Although Trados does not smite me with clear error messages,
when the import wizard complete its task,
somehow vast majority of the file is lost somewhere.
Trados only shows the first 50 lines out of 500 lines.

Import wizard result showed message says something like
20 out of 500 was invalid. So a little loss is acceptable and understandable.
But losing 450 lines is just way too much loss.

I thought that may be the file was corrupted when I convert xls to tmx,
so I checked the tmx files with SDLX and LFaligner, but they are in there, in tact.

So what happened to the majority of the file?
Did trados eat them? I must be doing something wrong here.

Could you please shed some light on this one?

Thanks in advance.

My computer environment:
Trados 2009 Studio.
Windows 7 64bit
Working with English/Japanese

Jing

István Hirsch  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
Try this Jan 20, 2011

Either Workbench or Studio Translation Memories View displays only part of the TM. For example, if the latter is open, click on the right arrow in the toolbar to see the next portion of the TM.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Creating Of Translation Memory Trados 2009

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search