Thread poster: Simone Duver (X)
Simone Duver (X)
Simone Duver (X)  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 04:00
French to German
Dec 29, 2010

Hello everybody,

I use Windows Vista with MS 2003. Yesterday I tried to translate an Excel file with TagEditor 2007, no problem!

This morning, I try to translate another one, error message: Failed to create file parser Trados.ExcelFileParserTrados2 I click on ok, then I get (80005): Failed to create parser or plugin file format!

This seems to be a recurrent error (I found several posts on this forum with the same subject but no solution). The
... See more
Hello everybody,

I use Windows Vista with MS 2003. Yesterday I tried to translate an Excel file with TagEditor 2007, no problem!

This morning, I try to translate another one, error message: Failed to create file parser Trados.ExcelFileParserTrados2 I click on ok, then I get (80005): Failed to create parser or plugin file format!

This seems to be a recurrent error (I found several posts on this forum with the same subject but no solution). The only thing I modified since yesterday: I disinstalled my Studio2009 package but I did not touch the SDL 2007 programs.

Do you think there is any issue?

Thank you and have a nice day.

- Simone -

[Modifié le 2010-12-29 10:45 GMT]
Collapse

Simone Duver (X)
France
French to German
TOPIC STARTER
The solution (reinstalling Studio2009) Dec 29, 2010

While writing this message I reinstalled the Studio 2009 package, I tried TagEditor and - what a miracle! - it openes the Excel file!

I don't know how to delete this post, but perhaps it will help other users (who deleted or deinstalled items they thought have nothing to do with SDL 2007). I know learned that even if there were three different downloads, it seems that one version (2007) doesn't work correctly without the other (Studio 2009).

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
Use Studio 2009 Dec 29, 2010

Glad to hear you solved your problem. However, rather than uninstalling Studio 2009, I recommend you use it!

Tag Editor is very dry and unfriendly. It simply doesn't compare with Studio.

Simone Duver (X)
France
French to German
TOPIC STARTER
TM Compatibility between 2009 and 2007 Dec 29, 2010

Thanks for your comment, Emma.

I'm a Trados beginner and I saw that there are still many problems with the Studio 2009 version. As I must firstly resolve problems linked to my lack of Trados knowledge, I preferred to try 2007 first.

And what about the compatibility between the translation memories? If I create one with Studio 2009 I can still use it with 2007? And vice versa? It seems also that if I deliver a TM 2009 to a customer who uses 2007, he can’t exploit it?... See more
Thanks for your comment, Emma.

I'm a Trados beginner and I saw that there are still many problems with the Studio 2009 version. As I must firstly resolve problems linked to my lack of Trados knowledge, I preferred to try 2007 first.

And what about the compatibility between the translation memories? If I create one with Studio 2009 I can still use it with 2007? And vice versa? It seems also that if I deliver a TM 2009 to a customer who uses 2007, he can’t exploit it?

Still so many questions…

Have a nice day!

- Simone -
Collapse

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
compatability between versions Dec 29, 2010

I only use Studio 2009, and my client/agencies only use 2007, so I can confirm it's quite possible.

There are 2 main issues to sort out:

1. Bilingual files. You have to work with ttx files (i.e. what TagEditor uses). Create the ttx in TagEditor or better still use the free
... See more
I only use Studio 2009, and my client/agencies only use 2007, so I can confirm it's quite possible.

There are 2 main issues to sort out:

1. Bilingual files. You have to work with ttx files (i.e. what TagEditor uses). Create the ttx in TagEditor or better still use the free TTX It application. You can download it here: http://www.sdl.com/en/language-technology/partners/sdl-openexchange/
Then open the ttx in Studio. The translated file can then be saved as a bilingual ttx or as the translated target file (excel, doc, ppt, etc)

2. TMs. You're right, the TMs are not directly compatible. But 2007 TMs can be upgraded and used in Studio, and Studio TMs can be exported in tmx format so that they can be opened in 2007.

If you are new to Trados, it all probably seems quite overwhelming, but the 2 points above are just a question of a few clicks.

I suggest you get some training. Proz offers quite reasonable sessions or you could look in your area to see what is offered.

Good luck!
Collapse

Simone Duver (X)
France
French to German
TOPIC STARTER
Still annoyed with TagEditor and Excel Dec 29, 2010

Thank you Emma!

That's good to know.

A potential customer sent me an Excel file to make a litte test (with a TM). So since yesterday I try to translate it and now I begin to ask me why I paid 700 € when I don't even manage to translate one small file!!!!

I tried to pretranslate it, that was okay. But since then, I can't open the segments any more for modifying them. The only button which is not "grey" is the "(". I tried with another copy of the original
... See more
Thank you Emma!

That's good to know.

A potential customer sent me an Excel file to make a litte test (with a TM). So since yesterday I try to translate it and now I begin to ask me why I paid 700 € when I don't even manage to translate one small file!!!!

I tried to pretranslate it, that was okay. But since then, I can't open the segments any more for modifying them. The only button which is not "grey" is the "(". I tried with another copy of the original file (an Excel file never modified in Trados) but always the same!

Without Trados I should have sent this file 1 week ago
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

TagEditor cannot open Excel file (error 80005, no parse file) -resolved

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »