Thread poster: Linda Gould

Linda Gould
Belgium
Local time: 09:15
Member (2006)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Dec 30, 2010

My client asked me to submit an interim translation so he could review the text and make revisions that he wanted carried throughout the rest of the document.

I've created a WinAlign .txt document based on the source file and the revised file from my client. That worked fine. However each time I attempt to import the .txt file into my current TM, I receive the information that 310 TUs were read, but only 19 were added - and there where a lot more changes than that! I'm sure I have a setting off somewhere but I can't figure out where.

I also tried creating a blank TM thinking if I could get all the TUs into ANY TM, I could then merge everything into the one I wanted. When I tried to import the .txt file into the completely blank TM, only 259 of the 310 TUs are transferred. Better than 19, but still not 310.

Any thoughts on what I am doing wrong? Any help would be appreciated (I don't look good with bald patches)!

Direct link Reply with quote

Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
French to German
+ ...
You may have duplicates Dec 30, 2010

When an import procedure into a TM reports less TUs added than there are in the import file, this is most probably due to the fact that you have duplicates.

From what you explain, you have tried more than once to import the same file. In such a case you will obviously not get the same result the seond time than you did the first time.

You also tried to import into an empty TM and got 259 imported out of 310: in my eyes this means that your import file contains 51 duplicate TUs (within the import file). Could that be realistic?

Beste groeten

Walter

jbk4311
Local time: 15:45
English to Korean
+ ...
You can't make full automation with WinAlign Dec 31, 2010

Hello

The .txt file of TM is the just simple original vs. translated documents.

That is a just simple format becasue there is no computation invloved for translation like fuzzy algorithm.

And you can't make full automation with WinAlign due to many variation in the document itself.

You have to use another tools like PERL scripting programming for meeting your requirements.

It will take to many efforts and time to learn the new programming languages like PERL.

But there is no easy way to fullfill your wanted tasks just simply clicking the WinAlign program.

And this might be helpful.

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 14:15
Member (2004)
English to Thai
+ ...
Your settings Dec 31, 2010

In WinAlign import settings, you can select how to manage with duplicated TUs. You can get more TU in your new TM if you allow duplicates, formatting penalties etc.

Soonthon Lupkitaro

Linda Gould
Belgium
Member (2006)
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
That helps... Dec 31, 2010

Walter Blaser wrote:

When an import procedure into a TM reports less TUs added than there are in the import file, this is most probably due to the fact that you have duplicates.

From what you explain, you have tried more than once to import the same file. In such a case you will obviously not get the same result the seond time than you did the first time.

You also tried to import into an empty TM and got 259 imported out of 310: in my eyes this means that your import file contains 51 duplicate TUs (within the import file). Could that be realistic?

Beste groeten

Walter

Thanks Walter, I hadn't thought about repeats WITHIN the TM itself, so that could explain the 256 instead of 310. Of course when I merged the two TMs, I still only get 19 updates. I tried "overwrite" but that doesn't help either.

Is there a way to open the .txt file and just manually move the TUs and then do a reorganise after?

Thanks for the help so far!!

Stefan de Boeck  Identity Verified
Belgium
English to Dutch
+ ...
ALIGN! is a bad user ID Dec 31, 2010

Linda Gould wrote:
I've created a WinAlign .txt document based on the source file and the revised file from my client. That worked fine.

You could open this .txt file and find/replace all ALIGN! creation IDs (replace by say LINDA).

You could then try again.

(The default alignment id carries a penalty of I think 3 whatsits – it’ll never do better than the old TU.)

Gelukkig nieuwjaar, overigens.

Stefan

FarkasAndras
English to Hungarian
+ ...
wrong approach Jan 1, 2011

If you need to feed the client's changes back into you TM, you should use a different workflow.
Instead of a cleaned file, give the client a bilingual word file (if you use Trados 2008 or earlier) or a table (if you use Studio). Then you can update your TM and translation easily. Winalign is the worst alignment tool I ever came across, but even if it you have a good aligner, alignment should only be a lat resort. In this case, it can and should be avoided.

[Edited at 2011-01-01 01:15 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

TM importing only part of WinAlign .txt file

Advanced search

Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search