Problems with SDL 2007 and Office 2010 on new Laptop
Thread poster: Chris Chloupek
Chris Chloupek
Local time: 21:37
English
+ ...
Jan 1, 2011

Dear Colleagues,
First of all a Happy New Year to all of you.
Let me tell you my problem. I've installed Office 2010 and SDL 2007_Suite_FL863 on my new Laptop and nothing works. First of all, I cannot open Trados via Trados Synergy. When "Loading initial views..." is on the screen, the program stops and I get the error message "For using SDL Trados Synergy SDL Trados has to be installed and registered (My translation -I've the German version). So I open Trados via "Programs..." When I try to open the TagEditor, I get the message "Attempt to start Workbench failed" clicking OK it opens but has no connection to Workbench, although the Workbench is definitely open.
The next problem is that, when I open a Word document, I get the message " "Trados Translator's Workbench is not running".
Unnecessary to say that the automatical connection between Workbench and Word did not work either. But I hooked Trados8.dotm in the Add-ons, so at least I can see the Trados bar on the screen. But when this hook is activated, I cannot close Word. I have to close it with the Task Manager.
You see, a lot of problems. So far, I have worked for nearly 10 years with Trados and Office 2000/2003 without any problems and I would appreciate to continue in that way. I would be grateful for any help I can get.
Christl

Direct link Reply with quote

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Benutzerkontenkontrolle? Jan 1, 2011

Or in English User Account Control? Is it on? Did you install the software as admin?

You are not supposed to open Trados via Synergy. Synergy is a stand-alone project managemet solution, but not designed to be used to start the Trados applications.

You may also be interested in these talisma articles:
Missing toolbars in MS Word http://talisma.sdl.com/article.aspx?article=1466&p=1
SDL Trados 2007 Suite and 64-bit operating system compatibility http://talisma.sdl.com/article.aspx?article=1582&p=1
SDL Trados 2007 Suite toolbar compatibility with Microsoft Office 2010 http://talisma.sdl.com/article.aspx?article=3359&p=1

Chris Chloupek
English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Problems with SDL 2007 and Office 2010 Jan 1, 2011

Thank you for your quick and very helpful answer. You wre completely right. It was the User Account Control. Workbench and TagEditor work perfectly and I can work in Word-Documents. I still have some minor problems with them (the SDL bar disappears and I still cannot end Word without the Task Manager), but I think, with the help of articles you recommended and which I partly had already read I should solve these difficulties.
Once again many thanks.
Christl

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Problems with SDL 2007 and Office 2010 on new Laptop

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search