Main TM in Studio. Adding 'dynamic' fields to a TM/adding fields to preexisting TUs in a TM
Thread poster: Aude Sylvain
Aude Sylvain  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 15:51
English to French
+ ...
Jan 1, 2011

Hello,

I checked Studio's help feature and SDL's site but could not find any reply to these 2 points:

1. When I work on a project I usually use and update, at least, 2 main TM: 1 for the topic (or client... ) and one overall TM (which I use and update with all my projects).

I know that one can assign specific custom fields to each TM (topic, date, client etc.) through the "setting" features. However I would like to assign a "dynamic" item to my general TM, namely the name of the project or client corresponding to each new TU entered (with no need to change this data manually each time I start a new project). Is that possible?

2. Is it possible to add a new custom field to all (or a specific number of) existing TUs in a TM as a batch? All I could do up to date was to assign a field to existing TUs one by one. I have thousands of TUs...

Thank you in advance and happy new year!

[Edited at 2011-01-01 10:55 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
batch editing Jan 1, 2011

Hi Aude,

1. Dynamic item. I'm not quite sure what you mean here. How can Studio possibly guess what field you want to add? Maybe you are talking about creating a drop-down list so that you can simply pick an item before you start your job? To do this, simply go to settings and compile your pick-list (chose "list" in the type column").

2. Changing/adding a field to thousands of TUs. If you add the field you want to your settings as described above, then go to the Translation Memory View and click on batch settings. Define a filter (by date or by another predefined field) and then click on Add in the Batch Edit window. Click on Change Field Value, then you can change/add/remove the desired field. I suggest doing this on a copy of your TM, in case it goes wrong, because you can't undo batch editing.

HTH.
Happy New Year!
Emma

Aude Sylvain  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Jan 1, 2011

Hi Emma,

Thank you for your explanation re no. 2, yes it is very helpful, I don't know how I managed not to see that option!

Regarding my point no. 1, I know how to create and add a field (name / number / list etc.) before beginning a work, many thanks, but my question was whether we can add a kind of 'field code' (like you would do in MS Word for automatic page numbers for instance - I can't think of any other way to designate that!) with the title of the document/project, which would be 'updated' automatically each time I work on a new document/project).

In other words, I would like each TU to be "marked" not only with the name of the author and date of creation/amendment (as it is by default), but also with the name of the actual document or project it comes from. And this without having to add this field manually (by typing the relevant name in the 'field' setting) each and every time I work on a new document/project.

Many thanks in any case Emma, have a very happy new year!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Main TM in Studio. Adding 'dynamic' fields to a TM/adding fields to preexisting TUs in a TM

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search