How to translate InDesign "v" tags in TagEditor ?
Thread poster: Alexandre Oberlin

Alexandre Oberlin  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 20:15
English to French
+ ...
Jan 2, 2011

Hi all,

I am translating InDesign files using Tag Editor.
I need to translate tags of the following form:

However I don't find such v tags in the DTD settings manager elements.
How can I translate those tags ? Any hint appreciated.

Cheers,

Alexandre

Direct link Reply with quote

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
What are "V" tags? Jan 2, 2011

Sorry, but even being quite experienced in dealing with tags, I do not know what those tags should be.
This said I must also add, that tags are NOT translatable by default. You can only translate some tag attributes.
And on top there is NO DTD setting for InDesign. So please provide more information about your problem.

France
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Oops! Tag text disappeared in post Jan 3, 2011

Hi Jerzy,

Thanks for your reply. I did not notice that the tag example I gave had disappeared in my post. Now it looks like using HTML characters allows insertion of angle brackets in forum messages.
So those tags typically appear as:
< v "Frequently used string" 3 >
They were obviously used as macros to reduce typing and typing errors, but some of them contain text that should be translated. Also I have no idea what the number before the closing bracket means.

I have left them untouched, in the hope of being able to use translated tags...

Alexandre

[Edited at 2011-01-03 01:28 GMT]

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Such tags are not listed in tag reference material Jan 3, 2011

Thank you for this clarification.
Unfortunately such tags are neither listed in the tag reference material for InDesign nor have I seen such.
The problem is, that you cannot translate tags as such.
You would need to modify tag settings in InDesign filter similar to what can be done for "plain" xml files - unfortunately there is no such option...
You might try to change the settings in the C:\ProgramData\SDL International\Filters\IndesignFilter_1_0_0_0.xml file, but TBH I fail to see where.

My workaround would be to translate the file as it is and the edit the resulting target file with a decent text editor, where you will be able to identify such tags. You can use T-Window for clipboard then to get the translations in translation memory (part of Trados 2007).

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 21:15
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Ancillary-file? Jan 3, 2011

Usually such strings are translated in a separate ancillary-file. Then the software will take care of it. The translator just translates what must be translated. If something is missing the client will come back to you.

Regards
Heinrich

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
No anacillary file in InDesign process Jan 3, 2011

There is no ancillary file in the InDesign process, so no chance to get such tags there.
But maybe those strings could be identified in InDesign?

France
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Client wants TTX file Jan 3, 2011

Thanks a lot Jerzy for your advice, which will at least prevent me from playing with InDesign filters without knowing what I'm doing...
My workaround would be to translate the file as it is and the edit the resulting target file with a decent text editor, where you will be able to identify such tags. You can use T-Window for clipboard then to get the translations in translation memory (part of Trados 2007).

I had considered editing the TTX as a last resort. Now however Heinrich's suggestion looks promising.

Cheers,

Alexandre

France
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I indeed have an ancillary file Jan 3, 2011

Many thanks Heinrich for your hint which is the perfect solution if it works!
Usually such strings are translated in a separate ancillary-file. Then the software will take care of it. The translator just translates what must be translated. If something is missing the client will come back to you.

I have already translated the ancillary file and it looks like all the concerned strings are in it. So I just have nothing left to do!

Cheers,

Alexandre

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Ancillary file for InDesign? Jan 3, 2011

Then the process does not base on INX or I never seen an Ancillary for InDesign...
Sorry for the misleading information then, as we see one will never know everything and will learn for the whole life to pass away even dumber as before

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to translate InDesign "v" tags in TagEditor ?

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search