Studio 2009 export refuses to open in Word
Thread poster: Mervyn Henderson

Mervyn Henderson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 06:02
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jan 3, 2011

Wishing everyone a happy and prosperous 2011, first of all!!

I have a large Word 97-2003 file, about 150 pages, with 60 - 70 linked Excels in the text. To process it in Studio 2009, I had to convert to Word 2007, as sometimes happens.

So I did a bit of the text, and exported target to Word with a file name change. So far so good, and no squawks from Studio, though all a bit slow.

But twice now I have tried to open the new exported Word file, and Word merrily refuses to cooperate, does not respond, and freezes out so I have to switch off and reboot. This is non-commercial Microsoft Word, by the way.

Any ideas??

Direct link Reply with quote

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
No problems with opening original Word file? Jan 3, 2011

Looks like the problem is Word itself.
Why was it necessary to convert to W2007? What kind of errors did you encounter with W2003?
Tried already to open that file in Word 2003 or in Open Office?

Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Word 2003 and Word 2007 Jan 3, 2011

Hi Jerzy,

Thanks - I converted because my experience is that, when you try to load certain Word 2003 files in Studio 2009, Studio tells you it can't do texts with tracks (there were, but I had removed them), and I have found that there are no further squawks if I just upgrade to Word 2007. But that's just force of habit - maybe you're right, and I should just focus on keeping it in Word 2003 and checking that there really really are no tracks.

Mervyn

Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Just checking this goes through first time Jan 3, 2011

Does it?

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Word 2007 is not always the solution Jan 3, 2011

It depends strongly on the source. Sometimes Word 2007 produces much worser results as W2003.
Please check with Word 2003. You may try to activate the option to open a Word document with not accepted changes.
If not, OpenOffice is also a way to circumvent some problems.

Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I'll take ... Jan 3, 2011

... your word for it, Jerzy. So how do I get it to accept Word 2003 with unaccepted changes? And I must admit I have no idea what OpenOffice is, or how it works.

Mervyn

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Change file type settings Jan 3, 2011

Depending on the way you work you need to to that either via Tools - Options or File - Setup - Template.
For opening a single file the first applies, and if you create projects based on templates the second applies. There is also a 3rd option, if you wanna integrate the file in an existing project - then you go to Project - Project settings.

Open the Options then, navigate to File Types, click the plus sign beside Word 2003, go to Other settings and select "Process documents with non accepted or rejected changes"

OpenOffice is a free software, that can be downloaded here http://www.openoffice.org/
It is a full replacement for MS Office (not 100% compatible, but very helpful in solving problems sometimes).

Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks ... Jan 3, 2011

... a lot, Jerzy. I'll go for the "Process documents with ...." option, and see what happens.

Mervyn

Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
"Process documents with non accepted or rejected changes" Jan 3, 2011

I've changed those settings, but now it just flatly tells me in Spanish, when I try to incorporate the document in Studio, that "This type of file is not accepted" - No se admite este tipo de archivo.

Not sure what to do now - I wonder can the OpenOffice thing be used just to get it open in Studio, or would I have the presumable disadvantages of a non-100% compatible programme after that?

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
OpenOffice can rectify errors in Word files Jan 3, 2011

And in this very case it looks really like your Word file is corrupted or at leas damaged.
You can also try to open the file in TagEditor, save as TTX and process that TTX in Studio, provided that after opening the file in TagEditor you are able to save it back.

Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks again Jan 4, 2011

I think you're right Jerzy - it's not the first time this kind of project has had dodgy files. Many thanks for the support.

Mervyn

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio 2009 export refuses to open in Word

Advanced search

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search