Does SDL Trados 2009 work well with Word 2003 ?
Thread poster: StevenQC
StevenQC
Canada
Jan 3, 2011

Hi,

I bought the upgrade to SDL Trados Studio 2009 Freelance more than one year ago, but I haven't yet installed the upgrade, so I'm still using SDL Trados 2007 Freelance...! One of the main reasons is because I have read somewhere that the preview function and the spell check function of SDL Trados 2009 Freelance doesn't work anymore with Microsoft Word 2003... For those two functions to behave correctly, it seems we need Microsoft Word 2007... Well, is that true?

I own Microsoft Word 2003 on Vista64 (laptop) and on XP32 (desktop).

Thanks!

StevenQC

Direct link Reply with quote

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 17:21
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Spell checking in Studio does work independently Jan 3, 2011

Studio has an itegrated spell checker, so you do not need to have either Word 2003 or 2007 on your PC. The information about the necessity to have Word 2007 may result from the preview function.
Studio does work very well with both Word 2003 and 2007 files, if this is your concern.

StevenQC
Canada
TOPIC STARTER
Does the integrated spell checker have an integrated dictionary? Jan 3, 2011

Thanks Jerzy for your (very) fast answer.

So 2009 Studio has an integrated spell checker, does that mean that it has its own dictionary and doesn't use the one integrated in MS Word? I have the 2009 Studio "Freelance" version (still not installed because I don't want to be limited by the fact that I only have Word 2003...!).

Thanks again!

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 23:21
Member (2004)
English to Thai
+ ...
Spell checking Jan 4, 2011

I do not rely much on T2009 spell checking [it is quite good for English, though]. After every translation, I copy all translated segments to MS Word and check spelling very efficiently and with less time. Then I revise my T2009 Editor. I find that Word spell checking is the most convenient for me right now (both in Word 2003 and Word 2007).

Soonthon Lupkitaro

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 18:21
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Additional question Jan 4, 2011

Sorry to drop into this discussion, but how does Studio spellingchecking work? Does it notice typos on writing like Word or do you have to run it like in SDLX after translation is done?
Regards
Heinrich

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
on the fly Jan 4, 2011

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

Does it notice typos on writing like Word ?

Yes, that's one of it's big advantages. It alerts you as you write by underlining the word in red - just like Word does. And it has the same function of right click to correct the word or "add to dictionary", and you can later edit the customised dictionary.
You can also set it to alert you to double spaces, repeated words, etc., which it will warn you of when you change segments. What it doesn't do is a grammar check.

Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
French to German
+ ...
QA is a separate function Jan 4, 2011

Emma Goldsmith wrote:
You can also set it to alert you to double spaces, repeated words, etc., which it will warn you of when you change segments. What it doesn't do is a grammar check.

These functions are part of the QA Checker (Quality Assurance) and not of the Spell Checker. I just mention this to point out that one can use these functions independently of the Spell Checker.

Walter

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Spell checker works like the one in Word Jan 4, 2011

However when you start to use it, the number of words in the dictionary is limited, so you have to add many. Afterwards however it works quite well.
Please also note Walters information about the QA checker.

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 18:21
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Found this link Jan 4, 2011

http://tradoshelp.wordpress.com/2010/10/16/finnish-spell-checker-in-sp3-and-editing-files-outside-studio/

Richard Hill  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 11:21
Member (2011)
Spanish to English
spell checking Jul 14, 2011

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.) wrote:

I do not rely much on T2009 spell checking [it is quite good for English, though]. After every translation, I copy all translated segments to MS Word and check spelling very efficiently and with less time. Then I revise my T2009 Editor. I find that Word spell checking is the most convenient for me right now (both in Word 2003 and Word 2007).

Soonthon Lupkitaro

Sorry about butting in on this conversation, and so late too, but I can across this post looking for T2009 spell check info. I'm new to trados and was wondering re your comment that "I copy all translated segments to MS Word and check spelling very efficiently and with less time". It makes sense to me to do as you say and perform spell check in word, especially if, like me, you have personalized a dictionary over many years. So my Trados newbie question is if you spell check in MS Word and make any changes, how to these changes apply in the Trados version of the document? Maybe your comment that "I revise my T2009 Editor" has something to do with this? but I don't know what that means. Any advice would be much appreciated.
thanks.
rich

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Easiest way is... Jul 14, 2011

... to use the SDLXLIFF Converter:

SDLXLIFF Converter for MS Office : http://tinyurl.com/sdlxliffconverter

In Studio 2011 spellchecking using MSWord or Hunspell is possible.

Regards

Paul

Richard Hill  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 11:21
Member (2011)
Spanish to English
spell checking Jul 17, 2011

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.) wrote:

Soonthon Lupkitaro

Hi Soonthon
I since found out that it's possible to copy words from personalized MS Word spellcheck dictionaries to Trados spellcheck dictionary which is nice

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Does SDL Trados 2009 work well with Word 2003 ?

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search