Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >
MultiTerm 2009 New Entry/Edit Entry Problem
Thread poster: sellenwright

sellenwright
Local time: 22:32
German to English
+ ...
Jan 3, 2011

I just installed Multiterm 2009 on a virgin Windows 7 machine. Unlike some other posters, I can open existing files and they look nice, but I cannot edit or add new entries. I've tried this with existing input models and with totally new ones I have built in MultiTerm 2009. I tried adding an entry to the sample database without using an input model and that doesn't work either. Any suggestions from anyone?

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 04:32
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Suggestion: please post more detailed information Jan 3, 2011

I have MT 2009 installed and everything is working. However, if I change some of my configuration parameters, the software stops working. Do you know why?
And how shall I know it in your case, if you just tell me it doesn't work?

sellenwright
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Parameters for MultiTerm 2009 under Windows 7 Jan 3, 2011

I'd gladly report any parameter settings that might be relevant, but I don't know just what might be relevant. One is that my machine is running Java 6 update 14, but doesn't show jre 2, which might be relevant, but another app was crying for runtime 2, and I knew that had been a problem with previous versions of SDL, so I went ahead and installed SDL 2009 + MultiTerm first and that looked like it had set up Java because the other app is now happy as a clam. I haven't changed any parameters tha... See more
I'd gladly report any parameter settings that might be relevant, but I don't know just what might be relevant. One is that my machine is running Java 6 update 14, but doesn't show jre 2, which might be relevant, but another app was crying for runtime 2, and I knew that had been a problem with previous versions of SDL, so I went ahead and installed SDL 2009 + MultiTerm first and that looked like it had set up Java because the other app is now happy as a clam. I haven't changed any parameters that I know of, but that doesn't mean that some other installation might not have reset a critical value. I'm also running Microsoft.netframework 4, if that helps.Collapse

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Do you get any error messages? Jan 4, 2011

This vague information you posted is still not enough.
Wheh did you install MultiTerm? Did you install MT2009 SP3? Have you installed any latest patches? Did you then update the C++ 2005/2008 runtimes?

sellenwright
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Problem solved Jan 4, 2011

Thanks so much for your willingness to help. I was not getting any error messages -- just a program freeze. I'm sorry I didn't indicate SP3 when I installed the program -- since it was a new installation, it didn't occur to me that anyone would not be installing SP3. It's a brand new Windows 7 64 bit machine (I failed to think about bit value as a factor, but it now appears that it is.). Since it is totally new, I didn't do any C++ upgrades, and as it turns out, that is probably OK. I left a not... See more
Thanks so much for your willingness to help. I was not getting any error messages -- just a program freeze. I'm sorry I didn't indicate SP3 when I installed the program -- since it was a new installation, it didn't occur to me that anyone would not be installing SP3. It's a brand new Windows 7 64 bit machine (I failed to think about bit value as a factor, but it now appears that it is.). Since it is totally new, I didn't do any C++ upgrades, and as it turns out, that is probably OK. I left a note last night that I found a solution involving resetting the Java plug-ins setting. I was unfamiliar with this because I think it's handled a little differentlly in 7 than in the past (JRE doesn't even show up in my program stack, but the funcitonality is all there since I installed SDL). After I made the adjustment, things are now working. See my previous note for the precise instructions on what I did. Interestingly, I found this solution in a different thread here in ProZ by searching in Google rather than inside the forum, but I'm not complaining -- these things happen.

[Edited at 2011-01-04 13:16 GMT]

[Edited at 2011-01-04 13:17 GMT]
Collapse

René VINCHON  Identity Verified
France
German to French
+ ...
I would like to resolve that too Jan 24, 2011

sellenwright wrote:

Thanks so much for your willingness to help. I was not getting any error messages -- just a program freeze. I'm sorry I didn't indicate SP3 when I installed the program -- since it was a new installation, it didn't occur to me that anyone would not be installing SP3. It's a brand new Windows 7 64 bit machine (I failed to think about bit value as a factor, but it now appears that it is.). Since it is totally new, I didn't do any C++ upgrades, and as it turns out, that is probably OK. I left a note last night that I found a solution involving resetting the Java plug-ins setting. I was unfamiliar with this because I think it's handled a little differentlly in 7 than in the past (JRE doesn't even show up in my program stack, but the funcitonality is all there since I installed SDL). After I made the adjustment, things are now working. See my previous note for the precise instructions on what I did. Interestingly, I found this solution in a different thread here in ProZ by searching in Google rather than inside the forum, but I'm not complaining -- these things happen.

[Edited at 2011-01-04 13:16 GMT]

[Edited at 2011-01-04 13:17 GMT]

Hi,

What do you mean with "see my previous note for the precise instructions on what I did". I have exactly the same problem and can find no solution.

Thanks in advance - René

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
I would like to get precise information... Jan 24, 2011

What kind of errors do you encountere?
What is your EXACT MultiTerm version? Do you have all SDL patches installed?

France
German to French
+ ...
More precisely Jan 24, 2011

I Jerzy,

- I have a quite new computer with Windows 7 64 bits

- I have Trados Freelance (last version), Multiterm 2009 and Studio installed, but don't use Studio.

- As far as I know, I have all patches installed (of course SP 3).

Now the problem :

I use Multiterm everyday. I do edit and add lot of entries. I do that directly in Multiterm.

The problem is that, sometimes, I launch Multiterm, then I can't edit or add an e
... See more
I Jerzy,

- I have a quite new computer with Windows 7 64 bits

- I have Trados Freelance (last version), Multiterm 2009 and Studio installed, but don't use Studio.

- As far as I know, I have all patches installed (of course SP 3).

Now the problem :

I use Multiterm everyday. I do edit and add lot of entries. I do that directly in Multiterm.

The problem is that, sometimes, I launch Multiterm, then I can't edit or add an entry. The program "freeze" (don't answer anymore), and I must force its closure (in Windows 7, you can click right and ask the program to close, without using task bar).

Really, that problem arises... or not. Can't understand why.

For example that morning : I launch MT, want to edit an entry, freeze, close. Again, same. The third time, it works ?. Well, when it works, I let MT open !

But that afternoon, for some reason I closed (normally MT), and now I want to add again an entry, and this time I tried about 5-6 times : it freezes again and again.

I remembered having that problem before and I have go to control panel to "disable Jave new generation plugin", but it doesn't change anyting".

Thanks in advance for your ideas - René
Collapse

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Thank you Jan 24, 2011

It is indeed a more than strange problem, as it arises not on regular basis and without an error message.
TBH in such situation a remote support sesssion on your computer might be the only solution. However I am not in a situation doing this, this can be done by SDL Support.
If you have a support contract, contact them directly.
Otherwise take a look at this post ...
See more
It is indeed a more than strange problem, as it arises not on regular basis and without an error message.
TBH in such situation a remote support sesssion on your computer might be the only solution. However I am not in a situation doing this, this can be done by SDL Support.
If you have a support contract, contact them directly.
Otherwise take a look at this post http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/188947-sdl_support-page2.html#1668287

Unfortunately the information provided is not sufficient for me to come with solutions.
Collapse

France
German to French
+ ...
OK Jan 24, 2011

I'm quite sure it's a Java problem, it seems like if sometimes Java "starts" and sometimes "not"

My installed programs are

- Java 6 update 14

- J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0 Update 10

- For Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable I have three 2005 and five 2008 installed. May it be the problem ?

But anyway I understand you can't help more Jerzy. I will try to get in touch with SDL Support. I have had support contracts in the past bu
... See more
I'm quite sure it's a Java problem, it seems like if sometimes Java "starts" and sometimes "not"

My installed programs are

- Java 6 update 14

- J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0 Update 10

- For Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable I have three 2005 and five 2008 installed. May it be the problem ?

But anyway I understand you can't help more Jerzy. I will try to get in touch with SDL Support. I have had support contracts in the past but it never helped me so I stopped paying some hundreds euros / year for nothing or even for loosing time. Your link seems to indicate that they changed a bit their behaviour. Thanks for that.

René
Collapse

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Please check this talisma article Jan 24, 2011

http://talisma.sdl.com/article.aspx?article=3353&p=1
especialy in regard to actualizing C++ installations.

France
German to French
+ ...
I have Cumulative update 9 installed Jan 24, 2011

I have installed cumulative update 9 on my computer on 12/01/2011.

They say that update also updates automatically the C++ !

Well, I have written to Trados support. Just wait and see +:)

France
German to French
+ ...
Thanks Jerzy Jan 25, 2011

Owing to your link, I got a fast answer from Paul (SDL support).

I must say this morning it is the first time since months that Multiterm edit/add function works on the first launch.

As we say here "Pourvu que ça dure" (let's hope it will last).

I will put a message in some days here to confirm if it still works or not.

Have a good day - René

Susanne Rieg (X)  Identity Verified
English to German
+ ...
Multiterm freezes Feb 11, 2011

I now have the same problem with Studio SP3 (CU10), Mutiterm (CU9) and SideBySide CU9 (Windows 7 64bit)

Whilst I CAN still edit & add term in Studio, now suddenly I CANNOT do this in Multiterm any more.

If I try to edit or add a term, Mutiterm freezes and I have to kill/abort the application.
Also, the last term open in Multiterm is automatically locked during this process.

So :
Question 1: How can I get Multiterm back to work (Repair did not he
... See more
I now have the same problem with Studio SP3 (CU10), Mutiterm (CU9) and SideBySide CU9 (Windows 7 64bit)

Whilst I CAN still edit & add term in Studio, now suddenly I CANNOT do this in Multiterm any more.

If I try to edit or add a term, Mutiterm freezes and I have to kill/abort the application.
Also, the last term open in Multiterm is automatically locked during this process.

So :
Question 1: How can I get Multiterm back to work (Repair did not help). Is this a Java Problem again....?
Question 2: Lacking Multiterm Administrator, how can I unlock terms? (It used to be possible in MultiTerm 5 as a Super-User)

Sanne

PS: If I open the Termbase in Studio, I seem to be able to "unlock" these terms by editing them in the Termbase Viewer. After this editing, Multiterm works normally once more until the next time it freezes.

[Edited at 2011-02-11 20:13 GMT]
Collapse

France
German to French
+ ...
Problem still existing Mar 3, 2011

Times go by...

I must say that even If i got a "small help" from SDL Support (Paul), I still have the same problem. And also others. I must "kill" MT a certain number of times each day...

Susan, as I get the same problem as you, I can answer you on one point : if one entry is locked, copy it. The copied entry will not be locked. So then delete the locked entry.

I can't understand why SDL/Trados cannot/don't wan't to resolve that sort of problems. We are cus
... See more
Times go by...

I must say that even If i got a "small help" from SDL Support (Paul), I still have the same problem. And also others. I must "kill" MT a certain number of times each day...

Susan, as I get the same problem as you, I can answer you on one point : if one entry is locked, copy it. The copied entry will not be locked. So then delete the locked entry.

I can't understand why SDL/Trados cannot/don't wan't to resolve that sort of problems. We are customers, we pay ! As far as i'm concerned, I've been paying for Trados products since almost 20 years !!!!
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

MultiTerm 2009 New Entry/Edit Entry Problem

Advanced search

WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2019
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2019 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2019 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search