Vitals  Identity Verified
Lithuania
Local time: 09:49
Member (2008)
English to Lithuanian
+ ...
Jan 5, 2011

Dear colleagues,

Sorry for a question that may be quite basic (and may sound stupid to some of you), but I need an answer.

You see, I had to immediately jump right into SDL 2009 version (unknown to me) from the Trads 2007 that I got used to quite well. Looks like I went through the translation process quite successfully in v. 2009, BUT my dilemma is - how do I save an "unclean" file for my client? They always ask me for an unclean version along with the clean one. I can do that in Trados 2007, but fail to find the same thing in 2009. When I click on Save Source As, looks like it just saves the CLEAN copy.

The project is urgent, so I need to find the info out as quickly as possible.

Thank you in advance.

Yours,
Vitaly

Direct link Reply with quote

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 08:49
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Prepare a TTX file before you start translating in Studio Jan 5, 2011

Just this: prepare a TTX file in T2007, then open that TTX file (or files) in Studio and translate those. As final product you will be able to deliver the TTX and the target files.

Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
French to German
+ ...
The file in your Editor is the unclean file Jan 5, 2011

Studio works with a bilingual file in the format SDLXLIFF, that is the "unclean" file. If you simply save this file while you are in the Editor (e.g. by hitting CTRL-S), you can save the bilingual SDLXLIFF file and send it to your client.

Be however aware that this requires that your client also uses Studio as only Studio can handle SDLXLIFF files.

If your client still works with the 2007 version, he will not be able to work with the SDLXLIFF file.

In that case, you would have needed to create a TTX first and then send him the translated TTX instead of the SDLXLIFF.

Alternatively, you may also send your client the target file along with a TMX export of the project TM, which will allow him to update his 2007 TM.

What is the source format of your document?

Walter

Lithuania
Member (2008)
English to Lithuanian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Word 2003 Jan 5, 2011

MS Word 2003 is the source.

Lithuania
Member (2008)
English to Lithuanian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
TTX? Jan 5, 2011

Thank you very much for your comments.

Could you also, please, remind me of how to create a TTX file in 2007?

Thank you in advance.

Vitaly

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Just use T2007... Jan 5, 2011

Vitals wrote:
You see, I had to immediately jump right into SDL 2009 version (unknown to me) from the Trads 2007 that I got used to quite well.

OPen the file in question in TagEditor and save, it will produce TTX.
Or use the "Translate" function in Workbench, provided you activated the option TRADOStag xml workflow for Word doc files (Options - Translation Memory Options - Tools)

Lithuania
Member (2008)
English to Lithuanian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, Jerzy Jan 5, 2011

Once again - many thanks to Jerzy, you saved the day.

The thing is that I work only with a limited amount of functions in Trados 2007, and "got used" to them. So "txt", "ttx", "xml"...I sometimes get lost in these.

When you told me how to do it, it rang a bell.

Sorry once again to have bothered you with some "stupid" questions... I just tried to follow the advice I got way back in school by one of the older teachers: Better ask a question which may seem stupid and become cleverer, than refrain from asking a "stupid" question and remain stupid...

Have a nice day!

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Not a stupid question Jan 5, 2011

but "got used to it" smply did not ring the bell in my head you may not remember what a TTX file was.
So now we have things clear and are hopefuly lucky

Happy New Year BTW
Jerzy

Lithuania
Member (2008)
English to Lithuanian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
All the best Jan 5, 2011

Yes, TagEditor is quite a rare thing for me, Workbench mainly. Sorry to have mislead you by my expression.

The very same to you - wishing you a happy and peaceful year of 2011!

Respectfully,
Vitaly

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL Trados 2009 Prof - unclean files?

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search