Thread poster: Jean-Pierre Artigau

Jean-Pierre Artigau
Canada
Local time: 10:55
English to French
+ ...
Jan 5, 2011

Hello everyone and happy new year

I am using WinAlign with Trados 2007 and Trados 2009 (SP3), English to French. When trying to align two documents, I had a message saying approximately “Error 40005, Invalid Pointer” (actually it was in French, pointeur non valide). I uninstalled the whole Trados 2007 (including Winalign), and re-installed it. Now when trying to align documents, I get exactly this message: (40005): “An exception occurred! Type UTFDataFormatException, Message: Invalid second byte of a UTF-8 character sequence”, then the location of the files, followed by “line 1, column 1”.

So what should I do now?

Thanks for helping me.

Jean-Pierre

Direct link Reply with quote

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 16:55
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
What kind of formats do you try to align? Jan 5, 2011

Are these XML files?

Jean-Pierre Artigau
Canada
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Word 2000 Jan 5, 2011

I am trying to align Word 2000 documents. So far this procedure worked perfectly well with this type of documents. I have tried to re-align old pairs of documents from several months ago, and I still get the same error message.

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 16:55
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Register Trados software Jan 6, 2011

From Start - Programs go to SDL International, then Trados program group and let the "Register SDL Trados 2007 Freelance" application run.
Unfortunately this is the only hint I can give you for the moment, as I do not know more about WinAlign trouble shooting.
You may also want to look at http://talisma.sdl.com and serach there.

Jean-Pierre Artigau
Canada
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Jan 6, 2011

I'll try your suggestion. Thank you.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Winalign, Error 40005

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search