Thread poster: Isabel Conde

Isabel Conde  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 23:29
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jan 6, 2011

Hi,

Could someone tell me how to get support from SDL? I need to write to a real person or to chat. The site takes from one place to another without success on my part.

Thank you in advance,

Isabel

Direct link Reply with quote

Marinus Vesseur  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 19:29
English to Dutch
+ ...
SDL Support hard to come by Jan 6, 2011

That is by design. There were too many issues, so they stopped offering any kind of free support. The only contact allowed is when you want to buy something (Oh for the blessings of British management).
Support is available via a support contract, but that is hard to find when you desperately need it and you're looking for it on the site. They keep sending you in circles. You'd think SDL would at least offer some kind of per-case-support against a reasonable fee, but alas.

The cheapest service contract is about 250 dollars per year. You can find it when you log in to Translationzone and go to My PSMA.

You might get lucky here in the forum, if somebody from SDL support reads your cry for help. Also there are several very helpful colleagues active in this forum if you have an issue you can describe.

Good luck!

Isabel Conde wrote:

Hi,

Could someone tell me how to get support from SDL? I need to write to a real person or to chat. The site takes from one place to another without success on my part.

Thank you in advance,

Isabel

Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 04:29
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
Hi Isabel Jan 7, 2011

It's here:

http://www.sdl.com/en/sites/sdl-trados-solutions/contact-us.asp
or here:
http://www.sdl.com/en/sites/sdl-trados-solutions/live-chat.asp

HTH,
Natalia

[Edited at 2011-01-07 00:26 GMT]

Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Jan 7, 2011

Thank you very much, Natalie.

Best regards,

Isabel

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Getting Support from SDL Jan 7, 2011

Hi,

I thought it would be helpful to set out how you get support from SDL, but first it is worth noting that people contact SDL for different reasons. If you want to contact to ask about purchasing the products or have a general question about SDL then the links provided by Natalie are the way to go. But if you have a need to contact SDL because you have a problem related to a product you own then then the route to follow is different.

So, I thought I'd use this opportunity to look at how we can make it clear to users where to go if you need to contact SDL for a problem related to a product you own. This is the route I followed (because I know how to do it).

• Go to www.sdl.com

• Click on Language Technologies (as this forum relates to products developed by this SDL Division)

• Then click on Support

This takes you through to the pages where this is all explained, and looks like this;

Once you get here there is a lot of information about how to contact SDL. If you click on the menu on the left for SDL Trados Support you are taken here;

http://www.sdl.com/en/language-technology/support/sdl-trados-support/

This is a good page to start from as you have several tabs that are worth browsing to see where you can find help, with or without a support contract;

The Resources and FAQs tabs are very useful as these provide links to many of the questions we see asked in this and other forums quite regularly.

I hope this explains a little where you can find support at SDL, and other places, but I would welcome the feedback from users on this forum on how we can make this easier to find? I think we do provide a lot of useful content, sometimes it's almost overwhelming how much there is if you know where to look, so I would like to see what we can do to organise this better and also make this easier to find for any user so that the first place they look is where they find it.

All comments welcome (even those from Marinus et al)

Kind regards

Paul

Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SDL Support? Jan 7, 2011

Dear Paul,

I saw you around before. I know that you are very involved with these matters. Therefore, previous to start traveling around SDL pages with probably poor results, I would like to try solving my problem in this forum. I asked here a few day ago, but unfortunately the person who very kindly offered his help, couldn't find a solution.

I send you a link of the conversation to see if you are able to realize what the trouble is:

http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/188836-error:_50152_multiterm_is_not_running.html#1657787

Thank you very much in advance.

Best regards,

Isabel

United Kingdom
English
Replied to at.... Jan 7, 2011

..... this link;

http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/188836-error:_50152_multiterm_is_not_running.html#1658369

Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SDL Support? Jan 13, 2011

Dear Paul,

You must be kidding me. Even with all the data you gave me (and I tried hard), SDL Support is like a gigantic answering machine in a page form. I ended up in the same places I "travel" by myself. And I don't think we, users, are all wrong about this. It is like Marinus says, they take us in circles, also making us lose our time and temper.

Sorry but, I still believe SDL Support is a big fable. Log a Support is only for those that have a PSMA contract, the rest of us who paid more than 800 dollars, don't count. I think that this kind of money deserves some attention.

I will need to go through the process Natalie suggested and expect for the best, or buy another brand name. I'm not going to pay 250 a year, no way. For me Multiterm is an essential feature, and if it doesn't work is like having nothing.

Best regards,

Isabel

United Kingdom
English
Not kidding... Jan 13, 2011

Isabel Conde wrote:
You must be kidding me. Even with all the data you gave me (and I tried hard), SDL Support is like a gigantic answering machine in a page form. I ended up in the same places I "travel" by myself.

Hi Isabel,

I'm sorry you found it so difficult. Once you get to these pages I'd be interested to know what was so hard? Seriously, I would like to work on making this easier for users to navigate so all advice on how to do this that we can review as we make our own changes is welcomed.

I think, having read your actual reasons for wanting to contact support on the other posts that your best bet was to use the Solution Finder like this;

http://talisma.sdl.com

Then go to the tab called Solution Finder and now go here;

Download & Installation Problems
- I get an error message during installation.
- - I get another error message

This will bring up a form that you can fill in to generate a support request and you will be contacted, normally within a day even without a support contract.

Many users find this feature quite useful for getting help, but we will be reviewing the Solution Finder options over the next few months to try and improve them so they are more relevant to the sort of problems that completely prevent you from using the software but are not clearly covered by the current choices.

Isabel Conde wrote:
Sorry but, I still believe SDL Support is a big fable. Log a Support is only for those that have a PSMA contract, the rest of us who paid more than 800 dollars, don't count. I think that this kind of money deserves some attention.

This is of course not true Isabel. We do have paid Support Contracts, and there are plenty of users even on this forum who will attest to the value they receive from this (I hope), but we also provide a lot of help to customers who don't have a support contract with us at all. The Solution Finder generates quite a bit of work given the size of our userbase, and we do monitor this and several other forums providing answers on forum when we can and also contacting users offline. All of this is done by SDL Support.

Isabel Conde wrote:
I will need to go through the process Natalie suggested and expect for the best, or buy another brand name. I'm not going to pay 250 a year, no way. For me Multiterm is an essential feature, and if it doesn't work is like having nothing.

I think the cost for you is $199, however in my opinion, I think you should always pay support to ensure the use of any software that is needed to provide an essential part of your livelihood. If I only used it occassionally and generated no income from it then I probably wouldn't but if I wanted to ensure I had reasonable response times as part of a service level agreement then I would pay it. If I wanted to ensure I always got the latest upgrades to the software whether they were free or chargeable then I would pay it. If I was Jerzy I could probably think of a good analogy with a BMW ............

I was serious when I asked earlier for any feedback on how we could improve the ability of users to find their way around our sites, and also to find their way through the quite large amount of material that we provide free of charge to help users learn the software. If anyone doesn't feel like posting publicly please feel free to email me directly, pfilkin@sdl.com, we really are a true story.

Regards

Paul

Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SDL Support Jan 14, 2011

Dear Paul,

I will be more than happy to be wrong. I don't think, though, that SDL Support have not a better idea of how making it easier for the users to find support without having the PSMA.

I am doing all the steps that you told me on the other post. If it doesn't work, I will follow strictly the steps for getting help though Solution Finder. I really want to prove me wrong.

I am actually very grateful to this forum because here I found all the help that I needed along this year, since SDL seemed always a difficult thing to achieve. I have no idea how this forum and SDL are related.

Thank you very much for all your support.

Best regards,

Isabel

Imen Mguedmini  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
There is simply no support for customers who have no valid PSMA agreement Jan 17, 2011

I have the exact same problem as Isabel and have been going in circles for the past two days. There simply is no support for SDL customers without a valid support contract, which I find very irritating. Trying to contact the support or trying to log a support case is a kafkaesque journey really.

[Bearbeitet am 2011-01-17 15:15 GMT]

Imen Mguedmini  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Use the live chat! Jan 17, 2011

Dear Isabel,

I used the SDL live chat feature and a real person answered and was able to help me very quickly. You should try it too. Go to the SDL website, log into your account, click on "Contact" and at the left at the top of the website is the live chat icon. Introduce your information and then start the chat.

Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Chat Jan 18, 2011

Thank you, Imen. I will do that, then.

Kind regards,

Isabel

United Kingdom
English
Using the Solution Finder to get help Jan 18, 2011

Hi Isabel,

I wanted to follow up on this one because the Solution Finder will get you through to a Technical Support Engineer whereas the Live Chat will not. Your query was technical I believe and I also wanted to see this working for you properly..! If you use the Live Chat (and the problem is tricky) then the Customer Care Representative on the other end will have to try and engage a support engineer with no proper details logged in a way that makes it easy for the engineer to work on your problem. If you want help then I would really ask that you try to help us to help you. The volume of customers we have means we have to try and work in some kind of ordered way or we can't really work effectively at all.

So, I have taken this last post from you to mean that you have still not received any help so I followed up on this today. We have one email address for you in our system but can't find any cases at all under this address and I also cannot find anything with your name either.

I think now, if you still need help, that it may be better if we skip this process and do two things;

1. I can show you how this process works over a webex
2. We can engage a support engineer from the process and look at your issue

You can contact me directly at pfilkin@sdl.com and we can take this forward.

In addition to this specific issue, I'll will run a webex for anyone who would like to know how to contact SDL. So, I will publish the details of when this will be, and how you join it, before the end of the week.

Regards

Paul

Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SDL Support Jan 18, 2011

Hi Paul,

I did not try anything yet. I will do it right now and I let you know how it worked. I will follow your advice. I understand your point.

Thank you for your interest and help,

Best regards,

Isabel

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL Support?

Advanced search

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search