Trados slower on new computer
Thread poster: Vincent MAELSTAF (X)
Vincent MAELSTAF (X)
Vincent MAELSTAF (X)
Local time: 00:02
English to French
Feb 29, 2004

Hello,

I just changed computer and despite it being more powerful than the previous one, Trados seems to be much slower. It takes several seconds for one translation unit to close and the next one to open. (Other Trados features such as the contextual search work fine.) I also noticed that inserting a MultiTerm entry using shortcuts is much slower too.

My previous platform was PIII 700Mhz, 512Mb, Windows 2000, and Word 2000, and the new one is P4 2.8GHz, 512Mb, Win
... See more
Hello,

I just changed computer and despite it being more powerful than the previous one, Trados seems to be much slower. It takes several seconds for one translation unit to close and the next one to open. (Other Trados features such as the contextual search work fine.) I also noticed that inserting a MultiTerm entry using shortcuts is much slower too.

My previous platform was PIII 700Mhz, 512Mb, Windows 2000, and Word 2000, and the new one is P4 2.8GHz, 512Mb, Windows XP, and Word 2002. I use Trados 5.5.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Vincent
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Moving the thread... Feb 29, 2004

...to Trados Support.

Which version of Trados are you using exactly? Please mention whether it's Freelance, LSP or other, and which software version (build no.) you have installed.

Thanks, Ralf

Vincent MAELSTAF (X)
Vincent MAELSTAF (X)
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Using Trados freelance 5.5.2.257 Feb 29, 2004

Hello Ralf,

I use Trados freelance 5.5.2.257 (build 257). I have installed the latest cumulative patch for Trados 5.5.

Since I posted this I found out the problem lies with MultiTerm (5.5.2.257) and/or the Term recognition feature in Trados. If I uncheck "Term Recognition", translation units close and open without delay in Word.
I tried using several MultiTerm databases but this did not change the delay issue.

Should I upgrade to 6.5 because I now
... See more
Hello Ralf,

I use Trados freelance 5.5.2.257 (build 257). I have installed the latest cumulative patch for Trados 5.5.

Since I posted this I found out the problem lies with MultiTerm (5.5.2.257) and/or the Term recognition feature in Trados. If I uncheck "Term Recognition", translation units close and open without delay in Word.
I tried using several MultiTerm databases but this did not change the delay issue.

Should I upgrade to 6.5 because I now have XP instead of W2k?

Vincent
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Search depth in MultiTerm? Feb 29, 2004

Hi Vincent,
Thanks for the info. I'm afraid I can't really give you many hands-on tips for T5.5 any longer, since I switched to T6.0 a while ago (and more recently to 6.5). But I'm sure there'll be 5.5 users around.

That's what I wanted to know.

IIRC you can improve performance by reducing the search depth - I believe this is in the term recognition settings in Workbench. Worth a try...

Should I upgrade to 6.5 because I now have XP instead of W2k?

Windows isn't the issue. Although Office XP wasn't fully (officially) supported by T5.5, it appears to work.
But there are other reasons for moving to 6.5 (make sure you install the latest version 6.5.2/Build 417), particularly TagEditor support for Excel & PowerPoint, and the enhanced alignment functions (editing, splitting and joining of segments) in WinAlign.

HTH - Ralf

Vincent[/quote]

Vincent MAELSTAF (X)
Vincent MAELSTAF (X)
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Search depth setting does not help... Feb 29, 2004

Thanks for the input, Ralf. Unfortunately the search depth setting does not help. I used the default setting (20%) but even at the minimum (10%) it takes about 3-4 seconds for one translation unit to close and the next one to open, and the average sentence length for this text is quite small... Maybe I will reinstall Word 2K for the time being and upgrade to Trados 6.5 in the future. Hopefully this should solve the problem.

Vincent

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados slower on new computer

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »