Jenni Jelse  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 07:40
Member (2007)
English to Swedish
+ ...
Jan 8, 2011

Hi everyone

I’m using SDL Trados 2007 (latest version) with Office 2010 on Windows 7. I’m about to install Studio but haven’t yet as I have a problem with Word and spell-checking. Really hope someone can help!

Ever since I installed Office 2010 it appears that Trados/SDLX no longer recognises Word and it isn’t possible to do a spell-check in TagEditor or SDLX. Nor is it possible to analyse Word files or clean them up through Translator’s Workbench. Translating/cleaning up within Word is fine though.

I had Office 2007 on the computer before installing 2010, so I figured it could be due to this. I’ve now reinstalled both Office and then Trados, but the problem remains. For example, when I open SDLX the following message is displayed: “Microsoft Word does not appear to be installed on this machine. Word spell checking will be disabled.”

Does anyone know if it’s possible to solve this issue? I know that Word 2010 and Trados 2007 are not guaranteed to work together but I haven’t heard of this problem before. I’m hoping it’s just a matter of moving some kind of file to a different folder…

Any help much appreciated!

Thanks

Direct link Reply with quote

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Download and install this component Jan 8, 2011

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=938fe8ad-583b-4bd7-a345-23250dc15855

This might help.

Sweden
Member (2007)
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks - but no Jan 8, 2011

I've downloaded and run the file (no idea what it was for - but I trust you!), but no change. I'll try to get some support from SDL...

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Primary Interoperability Assembly Jan 8, 2011

was it - this is a prerequisite to have programs working with support of Office.
This is why I hoped this may resolve the issue.
Unfortunately I do not have any idea what to do then.
Is installing an earlier version of Office no option?

Sweden
Member (2007)
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Unfortunately not Jan 8, 2011

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

Is installing an earlier version of Office no option?

I wish... I got an Office 2007 trial version when I bought the computer, which worked very well, but when I wanted to activate it they'd already launched Office 2010 and they wouldn't sell me a 2007 licence.

I've contacted SDL, but it seems I might have to live with this problem. I have done for a few months, and while it's a pain it doesn't slow me down too much.

One thought - I have an old Word XP cd somewhere. Is it possible to have this installed along with Office 2010? If I reinstall everything again, starting with Word XP, maybe it would work...?

Thanks so much for your time and help!

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Word XP will work with Office 2010 Jan 8, 2011

Just check this MS article: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928091/
In your case replace MS Office 2007 by MS Office 2010, but the principle will be the same.

Sweden
Member (2007)
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks again! Jan 10, 2011

I might have to try that then. Will see first if SDL have any other solutions.

Have a good week!

Sweden
Member (2007)
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Update Mar 8, 2011

In case anyone has the same problem, here's an update.

I uninstalled Office 2010 and Trados. I installed Word XP (didn't bother with anything else in the Office XP package). I then installed Trados 2007 and checked that spell-check worked in TagEditor and SDLX, and that I could analyse .doc files in workbench. I then installed Office 2010 again. I didn't get any questions as to whether I wanted to keep the old version of Word during the installation, but fortunately it wasn't removed. After some fiddling around with the Trados toolbar in Word 2010, everything worked perfectly. I then installed Studio 2009 and am in the process of getting to know it. So finally everything works! (For now anyway...)

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados 2007 does not recognise Word 2010

Advanced search

PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search