https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/189208-context_matches_studio_2009_vs_synergy_2007.html

Context Matches - Studio 2009 vs Synergy 2007
Thread poster: KerryT
KerryT
KerryT
Local time: 13:51
German to English
Jan 10, 2011

I have a client that doesn't like paying for 100% matches (albeit at a reduced rate). In any given project around 20% of the text will be 100% matches. The explanation of "it depends on the context" wears a bit thin sometimes, especially when some of the segments really cannot be translated differently, depending on the context.

SDL Trados claim that with Studio 2009 you get more Context Matches than with Synergy 2007, because in addition to comparing the surrounding segments the sy
... See more
I have a client that doesn't like paying for 100% matches (albeit at a reduced rate). In any given project around 20% of the text will be 100% matches. The explanation of "it depends on the context" wears a bit thin sometimes, especially when some of the segments really cannot be translated differently, depending on the context.

SDL Trados claim that with Studio 2009 you get more Context Matches than with Synergy 2007, because in addition to comparing the surrounding segments the system looks at whether the text is a header, bullet, table text etc.

Does anyone have experience with this? Does Studio really achieve better results in this respect?
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 14:51
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
No "Context Match" in Synergy or Trados 2007 Jan 10, 2011

We should clearly differ here: Context Match is something completly new, introduced first with Studio. This works quite well, but as everything coming from a translation memory this is not "perfect". However, the "Perfect Match technology", which was available in Synergy and Trados 2007 (there the program to use it was called ContextTM wizard - please note, that it was not Context Match) was more reliable. If you shall work for the customer I would try to use the Perfect Match technology, which ... See more
We should clearly differ here: Context Match is something completly new, introduced first with Studio. This works quite well, but as everything coming from a translation memory this is not "perfect". However, the "Perfect Match technology", which was available in Synergy and Trados 2007 (there the program to use it was called ContextTM wizard - please note, that it was not Context Match) was more reliable. If you shall work for the customer I would try to use the Perfect Match technology, which bases the pretranslation on already translated files, not on TM. To use this technology you need however only TTX files. When you pretranslate the TTX files with ContextTM Wizard, you can then open them in Studio - this will work really fine.Collapse

KerryT
KerryT
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
So Studio is no better in terms of achieving more "context matches"? Jan 11, 2011

Thank you for your reply, Jerzy.

The various terminology is a little confusing, but essentially I'm interested in matches that cannot be altered by the translator because the system deems them to be already translated perfectly and in context.

If you are suggesting that I stay with Trados 2007 then presumably you don't think Synergy is an improvement (in terms of converting more 100% matches into Context matches)?

My understanding was that in Studio, the TM
... See more
Thank you for your reply, Jerzy.

The various terminology is a little confusing, but essentially I'm interested in matches that cannot be altered by the translator because the system deems them to be already translated perfectly and in context.

If you are suggesting that I stay with Trados 2007 then presumably you don't think Synergy is an improvement (in terms of converting more 100% matches into Context matches)?

My understanding was that in Studio, the TM takes context into account, for example header tags are part of the translation unit.
Collapse

KerryT
KerryT
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Correction Jan 11, 2011

Sorry, I meant to say ".. then presumably you don't think Studio is an improvement"!

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 14:51
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Studio is better in entering Context Matches Jan 11, 2011

as any other software, because it is the ONLY software which has Context Matches.
Trados 2007 does not have this function at all.
The Perfect Match technology in Trados 2007 is however superior to Context Mactch because of the way it works.
My advice would be using the best of both worlds: pretranslating files with Perfect Match technology to get a really reliable pretranslation, where the matches could be blocked from further editing and then use Studio, as it is better as T20
... See more
as any other software, because it is the ONLY software which has Context Matches.
Trados 2007 does not have this function at all.
The Perfect Match technology in Trados 2007 is however superior to Context Mactch because of the way it works.
My advice would be using the best of both worlds: pretranslating files with Perfect Match technology to get a really reliable pretranslation, where the matches could be blocked from further editing and then use Studio, as it is better as T2007. The only thing is, Studio does NOT have Perfect Match so far.
I am sorry not being able to make it more clear, but to put things in a correct workflow I would suggest the following:
- use ContextTM wizard to pretranslate the new TTX files, using previously translated TTX files
- use presegmentation in Trados 2007 to keep the TM as comatible as only possible
- translate the resulting TTX files in SDL Trados Studio 2009
- save the translated files as TTX and target format
- with the next job take the TTX files from previous translation and use them as basis for ContextTM wizard

I do think Studio is a big improvement, in my opinion Synergy was not that big improvement as it promised to be.
[quote9My understanding was that in Studio, the TM takes context into account, for example header tags are part of the translation unit.[/quote]
This is how Context Matches worl and Studio does utilize that. T2007 did not have this function at all.
What I speak about is Perfect Match, a completly different solution - http://www.sdl.com/en/events/news-PR/2006/SDL_Announces_SDL_PerfectMatch_.asp

[Edited at 2011-01-11 14:19 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Context Matches - Studio 2009 vs Synergy 2007

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »