Trados 2009 keeps inserting "wrong" headers and footers - Bug or wrong setting?
Thread poster: UK_
UK_
Local time: 13:21
English to German
Jan 12, 2011

Hi there,
I translated several word documents (.doc) de-de -> en-us.
The translated docs have a totally different header and footer layout starting with the second section
(those must be 'old' footers that must have been in place around 2008 for what I've been told).

Closely inspecting the de and the en version, I found that in the German original, the headers are labeled "first header, first section", then "header, second section".
In the English version, they are labeled "First header" and "Header". But there is no section break whatsoever in the German document.

Is there any setting I may have to make in order for the translated document to feature the same layout as the original?

Technical info:
Windows xp pro 32
Trados 2009 SP3
Word 2003 with all MS patches

Direct link Reply with quote

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 13:21
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
I would check Word file for problems Jan 12, 2011

It is unlikely, that Studio does change anything on the Word file structure, however it is very likely, that the errors are in Word.
For example the wrong header/footer can be on pages, which do not exist in Word (like the 3rd page in a section with different first page and different odd and even header/footer, where the section itself is just 1 page long).
Are the header and footer there when printed? Do they remain when saved in a different format (ie rtf or OpenOffice)?

Mansour Awwad  Identity Verified
Egypt
Local time: 14:21
English to Arabic
+ ...
using tageditor to translate word files with complicated layout Jan 12, 2011

Hi,

I faced a similar layout problem after translating a word file in the past. I had the TM. I opened the source file without any translation in tageditor. Then, I pretranslated the file using the TM. I cleaned the TTX file and I got the the word file with the same layout as the source.

Best regards.
Mansour

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados 2009 keeps inserting "wrong" headers and footers - Bug or wrong setting?

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search