Problem opening TTX files in SDL Trados Studio SP 3
Thread poster: Alexey Ivanov

Alexey Ivanov  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 02:30
English to Russian
Jan 14, 2011

When opening a TTX file in SDL Trados Studio process aborts with the error message “(40005): Unknown exception.” In SDL Knowledge Base this message is explained for TagEditor and the problem is ascribed to font issues (Arial font absent, or corrupt), but:
1. The same TTX file opens and is processed normally in TagEditor. The problem occurs only when trying to create a project with a TTX file(s) in Studio.
2. The same TTX file opens and behaves normally when opened as an individual document.
3. I never had this problem in the previous version of Studio SP2.
Would be grateful for any ideas.

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 01:30
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Why SP2? The current version is SP3 Jan 14, 2011

This is my first thought.
The second: never had even heard about a similar problem.
What was the source of the TTX?
Can you recreate the TTX on your system and try again?

Russian Federation
English to Russian
TOPIC STARTER
I did not say I have problems with SP 2 Jan 14, 2011

On the contrary, I said I never had this problem in SP2 and if you read the title of my post it says "Problem opening TTX files in ... SP 3". But this is not the point. Thank you, Jerzy, for trying to get to the root of the problem, anyway. To answer your questions:
1.The source of the TTX file is a MS Word doc file.
2. I can't recreate it because I have received this TTX from a client together with a PDF of the source file.
Additional information:
I have tried creating TTX files from MS Word doc files and they behave normally, both when opened as separate files and when included into a project.
There are 2 more abnormalites with these TTX files.
1. Even when you open them as a separetae document using "Open document" from the menu, the term recognition does not work, reporting "No term base open", but when you try to open a termbase an error message pops up saying that the TB you tried to open cannot be opened and suggests checking whether this is a valid TB. Checking the TB with Multiterm shows the TB is perfectly normal. Besides, it opens with other types of files and term recognition works normally.
2. Though I have selected "Disable smart tag pairing" under TTX files compatibilities in Tools>Options, and the manual says it is selected by default, whenever I open Studio this option is deselected.

I am frankly surprized that SDL releases a SP supposed to solve issues with the previous version which instead creates new problems. I wish I could roll back to SP2.

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Sorry, I did not read your post carefuly Jan 14, 2011

Well, this is strange and brings me to the idea the ttx file itself might be crap, even if it opens in TagEditor.
My suggestion would be to contact the customer and ask for the doc.
Unfortunalety there is not much I can recommend.
Deleting the settings files BaseSettings.xml and UserSettings.xml or replacing the content ot the File format folder in Documents\SDL Trados Studio with a fresh copy from Studio installation folder is another idea, but in fact the last oneicon_frown.gif

Russian Federation
English to Russian
TOPIC STARTER
Good news, Jerzy Jan 15, 2011

Thank you for your reply, and thank you for always being an eager beaver ready to spend your time helping colleagues with software problems. I am sure I am not the only one who appreciates it.
I actually tried all of your recommendations earlier also tried de-installing and re-installing all of the Trados range products probably 4-6 times, and using your previous reply to another colleague with a different problem with SP3 I also deleted all the settings files, and even cleaned the register after each deinstallation and have come to the same conclusions as you: the word file used for creation of the unusable TTX must be corrupt.
Now, the good news.
As the last resort I decided to test the files on my laptop which has SP2 version of the Studio. And it worked just fine, that is, the project with 3 TTX files opened nicely, the files are visible and term recognition works fine.
So, after all it is indeed a bug in SP3. It makes me mad when I think of the time I have spent on this problem and the exasperation I felt trying to find a solution to an unsolvable problem!
I would be seriously considering suing SDL for releasing the buggy product if I did not realize the futility of this: I am sure their terms of use have all sorts of disclaimers making it virtually impossible to win such a suit. Now, the problem for me is to find the download for SP2, which I unfortunately deleted after downloading SP3 (a trusting soul!) and there's only SP3 in the available downloads on SDL site.
Best regards,

Alex

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
If it is a bug... Jan 15, 2011

Alexey Ivanov wrote:

Thank you for your reply, and thank you for always being an eager beaver ready to spend your time helping colleagues with software problems. I am sure I am not the only one who appreciates it.
I actually tried all of your recommendations earlier also tried de-installing and re-installing all of the Trados range products probably 4-6 times, and using your previous reply to another colleague with a different problem with SP3 I also deleted all the settings files, and even cleaned the register after each deinstallation and have come to the same conclusions as you: the word file used for creation of the unusable TTX must be corrupt.
Now, the good news.
As the last resort I decided to test the files on my laptop which has SP2 version of the Studio. And it worked just fine, that is, the project with 3 TTX files opened nicely, the files are visible and term recognition works fine.
So, after all it is indeed a bug in SP3. It makes me mad when I think of the time I have spent on this problem and the exasperation I felt trying to find a solution to an unsolvable problem!
I would be seriously considering suing SDL for releasing the buggy product if I did not realize the futility of this: I am sure their terms of use have all sorts of disclaimers making it virtually impossible to win such a suit. Now, the problem for me is to find the download for SP2, which I unfortunately deleted after downloading SP3 (a trusting soul!) and there's only SP3 in the available downloads on SDL site.
Best regards,

Alex

and from all your description it seems indeed to be a bug a report at SDL is needed.
Leaving aside any frustration or attitudes towards or against SDL I can really confirm they are eager on making the product better. Bugs do happen in any software, but if we give them the files they get a chance to do something against. If you wouldn't mind sending me the files for testing and giving them to SDL, I would be really grateful. Only this way we can make sure something changesicon_smile.gif

Russian Federation
English to Russian
TOPIC STARTER
I agree with you, but... Jan 15, 2011

They have to be more explicit about their eagerness to improve their software. Simple declarations do not count. They should leave a possibility to state your case without signing an assistance contract at Euro 216 (?) which I find not quite in line with their declaration of eagerness to improve their software. As to the attitudes regardind Trados and SDL, I am actually (or have been until now) their staunch supporter. I still think Trados Studio is the best CAT software available in the market. And, of course, putting aside my frustration, I agree that bugs do happen, and I am ready to live with this, but what I find totally unacceptable:
1. Their failure to provide for logging complaints without entering into their expensive support agreement when you don't find answers in their KB which is frustrating.
2. Absence of the previous SP in the downloads in my account. As we are in business in which we all are under pressure of deadlines, I don't have time for extensive research on the root causes of a bug, I would rather roll back to the previous version which worked about fine for me and wait until the problem is fixed.

I am prepared to cooperate and give all the details and provide all the files for testing, but for this I will need:
- permission of the client to release the files to a third party which I am not sure the client will be happy about as the content is rather sensitive (notices about quarantining some products until reasons of their defects are found);
- assurance from SDL that they will treat the files as confidential and will not release them to third parties;
- SDL's personal letter to me asking for details (and specifying what they actually want);
- SDL's assurance that they will personally advise me when the bug is fixed.

[Edited at 2011-01-15 11:36 GMT]

[Edited at 2011-01-15 11:36 GMT]

[Edited at 2011-01-15 11:37 GMT]

[Edited at 2011-01-15 11:38 GMT]

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Your wishes lay beyond of my possibilities Jan 15, 2011

I am not an employee of SDL and can make no promisses or whatsoever in their name.

But regarding your request of a possibility to report bugs - well, TBH I do not know any software provided having this possibility. Neither can you report bugs in Word to Microsoft nor shortcommings of InDesign to Adobe. And the paid support contract is not just for reporting bugsicon_smile.gif Expensive is relative, in that matter too, as 216 EUR per year means less than 20 EUR per month and includes all upgrades within the contract period.

Russian Federation
English to Russian
TOPIC STARTER
I understand, Jerzy Jan 15, 2011

I will contact the local SDL dealer on Monday and will ask for a download of SP2 and will report the problem. If they are really interested in improving their software, they will ask for details. If not, I will work with SP2 which worked fine for me. Unfortunately I deleted SP2 installation program after I had downloaded and installed SP3.

As to support contract, I don't believe I need it. I have been managing very well without one all these years since I started using Trados. To pay your own money to help them make their software better is absurd. SPs are free in any case and new full versions do not come out often.
All the best,

Alex

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Send us the file Jan 15, 2011

Alexey Ivanov wrote:
They have to be more explicit about their eagerness to improve their software.

Hello Alexey,

As much as I would like to agree with much of what you say, the practicality of this approach really doesn't make it so simple. I see quite a lot of files from users where they are convinced the software must be buggy. Sometimes it is, but more often than not it isn't. Source files often have problems that are completely outside the control of our software.

If we provided the ability for every single user (and we do have one or two) to send us a file, unqualified (because often this takes quite a bit of tecxhnical expertise) and then we spent time testing it to find out where the problem lay then we would need to employ a quite sizeable team and would get no return on this at all.

I've read your comments and find it quite interesting that it works in SP2 but not SP3 so I'd be happy to take a look at this file for you and perhaps we can get to the bottom of the problem. You can mail it to me at pfilkin@sdl.com

Regards

Paul

Russian Federation
English to Russian
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, Paul Jan 16, 2011

Now I see that SDL does care.
As I said, being under an NDA with the client I must obtain the client's permission to release the files to you.
But I want to explore other possibilies and do some preliminary testing, so I will first ask the client to send me the source files used to create the TTX files and will try to create new TTX files from them on both machines and then I will cross-test them in SP3 and SP2 and will report the findings.
I cannot exclude the possibility of one file being corrupt, but I am talking 3 files here and that looks rather unlikely that all 3 are corrupt. However, even that cannot be excluded, since they were created on the same machine, and all the 3 are based on the same template of a service notice.
As soon as I get the client's permission I will send you the files together with the details of software and hardware.

Alex

Russian Federation
English to Russian
TOPIC STARTER
Problem resolved! Jan 21, 2011

After a week of investigation in close cooperation with SDL Suppport I have had an idea on which I stumbled quite by chance when editing a template for another standard project and though the type of files for it was different (ITD), out of curiosity I opened File Types and checked the settings for TTX files, AND! noticed that the “Disable smart tag pairing” under “Compatibilities” for TTX files is deselected. So, I thought, probably, there’s no bug at all, but since I was using a template with “Disable smart tag pairing” disabled, and the template, of course, overrules any global settings, the selection is disabled for any project using such a template, and hence all the errors when dealing with a file with across the segment tag pairing.
This assumption proved to be correct.
No bug in the SP3 code. My apologies to SDL Support for all the harsh words, and thank you for your help. The good news for our community is that, as I found first hand, SDL does care!
But probably SDL should either provide for propagating default settings for file types to any new template, or make a note in the manual that global settings are overruled by customer changed settings in a template, and users should be careful when creating a new template to check that the default settings are copied into the new template.

All the best,

Alex

Ditte Duclert  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2011)
English to Danish
+ ...
So what to do? Jul 6, 2012

Hi Alex,
I am glad you figured out what the problem was in the end! Now I am wondering if you can help me, please?

I have received an .itd file from a client which I'm trying to open with Studio 2009, and I get the same error message (40005). The same client sent 4 other files in the same format in the same zip folder, and all of those open without any problems.

Is there anything I can do to open the file, or will my client have to change some settings in order for it to be possible?

TIA!icon_smile.gif

Russian Federation
English to Russian
TOPIC STARTER
I am afraid I can't give you a recommendation Jul 6, 2012

Ditte Duclert wrote:

Hi Alex,
I am glad you figured out what the problem was in the end! Now I am wondering if you can help me, please?

I have received an .itd file from a client which I'm trying to open with Studio 2009, and I get the same error message (40005). The same client sent 4 other files in the same format in the same zip folder, and all of those open without any problems.

Is there anything I can do to open the file, or will my client have to change some settings in order for it to be possible?

TIA!icon_smile.gif

Hi Ditte,

Much as I would like to assist, I am afraid I can't do much. If you read this thread from the beginning you surely understood that in my case the problem was the wrong settings in the Menu>Tools>File Types>TTX>Compatibilities where the selection of "Disable Smart Tag Pairing" was deselected. In my case that was caused by using a template. I doubt that in your case that is the cause of the problem as the other files of the same type in the same batch behave normally. I can only recommend:
1. Check the error message/s when you open these files as a single batch in Studio. It may give you a hint about the reason why you can't opent it.
2. Check the settings of SDL Edit file under Menu>Tools>File Types>SDL Edit>Tag Check these should be as follows:
Enable Tag Verification - selected
Tags Added - error
Tags Deleted - error
Tag Order Change - warning
Ghost Tgas = Note
Spacing around tags - Note
Ignore Formatting Tags - selected
Ignore Locked segments - diselected
Ignore Difference between normal and non-breaking space - diselected

These are the settings that work for me.

3. Try opening the file in SDLX as you surely have it as part of the Studio package and see if you get any error messages which may again give you an indication about the cause of the problem.
4. If the file opens in SDLX, but does not open in Studion, save it under a different name and try opening the new file in Studio and see what error message you get. If you still can't open it in Studio, the file is corrupt.

The easiest solution, however, is (if the client also uses Studio and you know how to use the Studio package) to ask him to create and send you a Studio Package, then the file types used by the client will be irrelevant. You will just have to open the package which is very eay.

Best,
Alex

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Problem opening TTX files in SDL Trados Studio SP 3

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running and helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search