Trados 2007 Word 2010=problem with footnotes?
Thread poster: Alexandra Lindqvist

Alexandra Lindqvist
Local time: 10:21
English to Swedish
+ ...
Jan 16, 2011

Dear Collegues,

I recenty bought Trados and now have Trados 2007 installed on my computer. Since I only had open office Ialso bought Office 2010 since I was unable to find anythingelse online which would enable me to have a Swedish version alltough living in Latvia.

Up untl recently I everything has worked fine but now it's a disaster!

The way WB behaves when I want to translate the footnotes vary! At times I can both open and close them and continue translating as normal. At times the footnotes are simply skipped and WB goes on to the next segment. On other occations I get stuck when I come back to the segment with the reference to the footnote because I get "no previous search close without saving"

The templates are at the right place and it is not the document that is the problem since I solved the problem by using another computer with trados 2007 and word 2003.

Any suggestions on what to do?

Direct link Reply with quote

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 09:21
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Try using TagEditor instead Jan 16, 2011

Translation of the footnotes requires some special procedures, described in the Workbench help. Did you follow those descriptions?

Please be aware, that the last really supported version of Office was the Office 2007.
There are no plans to enhance that support on Office 2010, so the only software fully supporting Office 2010 files is SDL Trados Studio 2009.

Alexandra Lindqvist
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for your reply Jan 16, 2011

Yes I have followed the instructions! The problem still persists.

My biggest client uses trados 2007 (which this doc is for) and demands uncleand and cleaned .doc files which I have understood trados 2009 can not help me with or am I wrong?

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
No bilingual (aka uncleaned) doc files from Studio Jan 16, 2011

So you have indeed to stick to Word or to educate your client to accept bilingual TTX files, which do serve the same purpose, but are much better in handling for us.
In that case you will have to revert to Word 2007 or Word 2003 to have a full Trados support there.
You may be interested in reading this talisma article: http://talisma.sdl.com/article.aspx?article=3359&p=1
File Types: While it is possible to continue using Microsoft Word 2010 with SDL Trados Translator's Workbench 2007 as described in this article, only SDL Trados Studio 2009 is fully compatible and supported with all Microsoft Office 2010 file formats. No filter will be developed for SDL Trados 2007 Suite that will allow translation of Office 2010 files natively. If you are planning on translating Microsoft Office 2010 files natively (using an SDL translation environment instead of the Trados toolbar in Microsoft Word) we recommend that you upgrade to SDL Trados Studio 2009 as a more future-proof longer term solution.

From my own point of view I am thankful for every single customer and colleague, who drops the usage of Word as CAT tool altogether. This is the only way we can evolve. Sticking to Word is sticking to the past and really a dead end.

Alexandra Lindqvist
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks again Jan 16, 2011

I do agree with you it would be preferable for us if costumers gave up the idea of Word-based CAT-tools since word is enough problem in itself and attaching a CAT-tool to it won't make it better!
This client is my former in-house employer and at the office they use word 2003 so the files I recieve function well with WB 2007 however office 2010 seem to have its limits.
Seems I have the choice between either getting my hands on an earlier wordversion or put up with the problems at some point the market will have to give up 2007 anyway.
Personally I would love it if the market gave up Trados all together and went for a less expensive product!

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Less expensive = not necessarily better Jan 16, 2011

obviously the other way round is also not a guarantee for a good product.
However terms like expensive or cheap are really relative. If you see it like an investment in your business and put in relation to a period you use it and the possibile turnoaround it generates an expensive product may turn round to be the best investment you could do.
For example QuarkXPress for Mac is certainly not a product we would call cheap, but if you invest in it and then be the only one provider on the market for a certain language with this product, this may verywell be a win situation for you.

As for Office: check on www.ebay.com for an additional license for Office 2003 or 2007. You can install more than one Office version on your computer (check the Microsoft knowledge base for details) and those licenses are still available (I maen really legal, not pirated software).

Allegro AS
Norway
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Try closing all other Word documents before translating the footnote Mar 8, 2011

I've experienced the same problem after upgrading to Office 2010, and I think I might have found a solution of sorts. It's obviously a TW/Word 2010 compatibility issue, but it seems that the "No previous search" thing only occurs when I have several Word documents open at the same time. In fact, it seems that after you finish translating the footnote, Workbench moves on to the other document (in stead of the one you're translating), and since it can't find any open TUs there, it decides there's an error.

Alexandra Lindqvist
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Next time Mar 8, 2011

Allegro,

Interestning I will definely try that next time. So you're telling my that even though the segment int my text is open WB believes that it is in anothe document where there is no TU open. Nice touch I must applaud the imagination...

Alexandra Lindqvist
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Template problem? Mar 8, 2011

Actually I sometimes had simular problems when using word 2003 in those cases I replaced the normal.dot template and efter that eveything was fine again. could that also be the case here in that case it would be the normal.dom template right? but where is it located on vista?

Allegro AS
Norway
English to Norwegian
+ ...
it definitely works Mar 9, 2011

Alexandra Lindqvist wrote:

So you're telling my that even though the segment int my text is open WB believes that it is in anothe document where there is no TU open. Nice touch I must applaud the imagination...

That's right. Pretty stupid, eh?

(And it would probably be an easy thing to fix for SDL if they hadn't decided that TW is obsolete and no longer worth the support. My agency still has clients who require bilingual word files, and they aren't likely to change their workflow anytime soon, no matter how hard we try to persuade them.)

I don't know if the template has anything to do with the problem. It's possible, but then again I don't think I ever experienced this problem with Office 2003.

But I'm happy to tell that we've tested on several computers now, and I can confirm that this somewhat awkward solution does the trick.

Alexandra Lindqvist
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Problems with automatic numbering Mar 9, 2011

I also have poblems with wb word 2010 and automatic numbering it seems that the tags get messed up all the time

oh and yeah for some reason even when I swich off the tag protection they tags stll seems to be protected so I cant change them

Ronald van der Linden  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 02:21
German to Dutch
+ ...
if all else fails Mar 9, 2011

You could also use another work-around:
copy the footnotes into a separate, new (Word) document as plain text, then translate, this would satisfy your client as you are able to deliver an unclean file for these sections, even though in a separate file (this is a similar procedure when translating images) and at the same time provide a clean complete file.

For problem solving. You try testing Word 2010 by creating a test document where you type something and then include a footnote. Save it, close it, open it and then try translating the file using Trados. When no problems are detected, then there may be a problem with the lay-out (internal Word coding) of the document you are translating.

Good luck.

Michael Joseph Wdowiak Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:21
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
CodeZapper Mar 10, 2011

I haven't tried it yet myself, because I use memoQ, and haven't had any problems with footnotes (yet), but: I would try using CodeZapper's function:

Move Footnotes To End ("MvFtnts")

And when you are finished translating with Workbench/Word, move them back again with

"RevFtnts".

http://asap-traduction.com/CodeZapper

Michael

p.s.

What is “CodeZapper”?

"CodeZapper" is a set of Word macros (programs written in VBA to automate operations in applications) designed to “clean up” Word files before being imported into a translation environment program such as Deja Vu DVX, memoQ, SDL Trados Studio, TagEditor, Swordfish, OmegaT, etc.
Word documents are often strewn with junk or “rogue” tags (so-called “smart tags”, language tags, track changes tags, soft hyphenations, scaling and spacing changes, redundant bookmarks, etc.).
This tagged information shows up in the DVX or MemoQ grid as spurious {1}codes{2} around, or even in the mid{3}dle of, words, making sentences difficult to read and translate and generally negating many of the productivity benefits of the program.
OCR’d files or files converted from PDF are even worse.
CodeZapper tries to remove as many of these tags as possible while retaining formatting and layout. It also contains a number of other macros which may be useful before and after importing files into DVX or MQ (temporarily transferring bulky images (photos, etc.) out of a file, to speed up import, and then back in the right place after translation, moving footnotes to a table at the end of the document and back after translation, for example).

[Edited at 2011-03-10 03:24 GMT]

Robert Morin  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 03:21
Member (2003)
English to French
The easy way to get unstuck... Jun 17, 2016

... just use Alt + 0 in the second MS-Word file (the one displaying the footnote). This will close the file. Then use the «Close» button to close the footnote and use Ctrl + End to close the TU. You can translate the footnote later on...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados 2007 Word 2010=problem with footnotes?

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search