.ttx files and Studio 2009
Thread poster: itKara

itKara
Italy
Local time: 00:18
Italian to English
Jan 17, 2011

There are several things I need to learn to do today (I have Studio 2009 and Word 2010):
1) How to integrate a .ttx file (that was sent to me by someone with 2007) into the TM of my project;
2) How to send someone else a .ttx file of my project (who has 2007);
3) I have been asked to send an uncleaned file of the translation. From an active /open document I get as far as Tools > Options >File types> .ttx, but what do I do from here to save it and send it to my client?
Thank you in advance for any help you can offer!

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Just use them as any other format Jan 17, 2011

itKara wrote:

There are several things I need to learn to do today (I have Studio 2009 and Word 2010):
1) How to integrate a .ttx file (that was sent to me by someone with 2007) into the TM of my project;·

When you're asked to add files to your project just chose the ttx and that was it.

2) How to send someone else a .ttx file of my project (who has 2007);

You have to prepare the ttx file first in Trados 2007.

3) I have been asked to send an uncleaned file of the translation. From an active /open document I get as far as Tools > Options >File types> .ttx, but what do I do from here to save it and send it to my client?

If you opened ttx files, then ttx files will be what you produce in the end.
So translate the files, use the Finalize task to update your TM and produce target translation. Then take the resulting ttx files and send them to the customer.

Gillian Searl  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:18
Member (2004)
German to English
Please read the archives Jan 17, 2011

1) Why are you trying to integrate a TTX into a TM? If you really must, open it in tageditor, update the TM, export the TM as TMX, import the TMX into the Studio TM.
2) Open the doc in TagEditor, save as TTX, process in Studio, save target as TTX, send to the other person
3) Persuade the customer that they can use the TTX file for any purpose they want to use a bilingual Word file. If they absolutely insist they need a bilingual Word file: Process the file in Studio, update the TM, export the TM as TMX, import it into Workbench. Open the source file in Word, run it through Workbench and deliver bilingual Word file. But this process may take some time as the segmentation may not be the same.

It's all in the archives...
Gillian

itKara
Italy
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
ok for point 1, not so sure about 2 and 3 Jan 17, 2011

Jerzy, you are always so helpful! This is the third time you have helped me out!
Ok, point 1 is as simple as can be, and fine.
Point 2 and 3: the work was sent to me in Word (actually you sent me advice about it last Monday - it produced a 'bilingual error' and I had to change it to .txt and then back to Word...anyway), and I can send it back in Word, BUT the TM will have to be sent back at the end of the project in a form that is compatible with 2007.
In the meantime, the project has been split between 2 translators, myself and another person who has 2007. My 'co-worker' is more experienced than I am in Trados and has sent me .ttx files to integrate my TM, and she needs me to send .ttx files back to her, so our TMs are the same. THEREFORE I haven't received the files I need to translate in .ttx form, but need to import them and produce them for my co-worker (and final TM).
Therefore, I believe I can't apply your instructions for points 2 and 3?

itKara
Italy
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
how do I open a TM in tageditor in 2009? Jan 17, 2011

Gillian, how do I actually open the TM in tageditor - it's incorporated into 2009 in a way that I don't know how to do this step.

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
TagEditor is part of Trados 2007 Jan 17, 2011

You have to be aware, that you are in charge of preparing the files in ttx format.
The easiest way to do so is to create a new empty TM in the Workbench, then go to Options, Translation Memory Options, chose Tools and select "Use TRADOStag xml workflo for Word .doc files". Then close this setting with ok. Go to Tools, chose Translate and select the files you need to prepare. Make the option "Segment unknown sentences" active. Pretranslate the files. This will produce presegmented TTX files.
Now you can use the TTX files in Studio as any other format. What you get as result will be bilingual TTX files and monolingual target files for the customer.
Now you can either export the translation memory used in Studio in TMX format to deliver to the customer or just create another empty TM in Workbench, then use Tools - Cleanup to update this TM with COPIES of the translated TTX files.

As for the rest: this is a support forum for software problems, not a forum for teaching. Please consider reading the manual or taking some classes.

[Edited at 2011-01-17 12:05 GMT]

itKara
Italy
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
yes I need more training Jan 17, 2011

It's definitely true that I need more than the level 1 training I took when I bought the software, but I need to find a few free days to do that! Thank you for your help!

laurash2610
Brazil
Local time: 19:18
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Cannot open the ttx with Studio 2009 Jul 28, 2011

Hi,

1-I have a licensed Trados Studio 2009 and the client uses Trados 2007. He sent me a TTX file (using tag editor) but when I tried to open it with Trados 2009, it says " files with the same source and target language are not supported"

2- on the other hand, I got a word file (done with workbench), translated it and there is no option to save it as other way except sdlxliff. But he wants it as TTX. What should I do??

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Preparation.. Jul 29, 2011

Hi Laura (I think),

On your questions.

1-I have a licensed Trados Studio 2009 and the client uses Trados 2007. He sent me a TTX file (using tag editor) but when I tried to open it with Trados 2009, it says " files with the same source and target language are not supported"

My guess is that the TTX is not fully prepared so when you opened it (using Open Document) the target language was not preset. You then had a default target language in Studio that matched the source language of the TTX but didn't notice, so when you then tried to proceed you got this message.

Just a guess.

2- on the other hand, I got a word file (done with workbench), translated it and there is no option to save it as other way except sdlxliff. But he wants it as TTX. What should I do??

You have (at least) two choices.

1. Prepare the source file as a TTX using SDL Trados 2007 and then translate the TTX in Studio using the TM from the translation of the Word file to help you. You will be able to save the finished file as a TTX this way.
  2. Export your TM from Studio as a TMX, use this to create a TM in SDL Trados 2007, and translate the Word file again in TagEditor.

Regards

Paul

Richard Jacobs  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
files with the same source and target language are not supported Aug 22, 2011

SDL Support wrote:

Hi Laura (I think),

On your questions.

My guess is that the TTX is not fully prepared so when you opened it (using Open Document) the target language was not preset. You then had a default target language in Studio that matched the source language of the TTX but didn't notice, so when you then tried to proceed you got this message.

Just a guess.

So how does one solve this problem? I do not have Trados 2007, only Trados Studio 2009, and I cannot open any ttx files from the customer, keep getting this error message.....

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Just change the target language Aug 22, 2011

Hi,

When you open the TTX file and the languages have not been properly prepared in 2007 first then you will find that the target language can still be changed in Studio. So, just use Open Document and select the correct target language. Then you will be able to work on the file as Studio can complete TTX files that have not been 100% segmented.

I'm surprised you don't think you have 2007 though? It is in your account and available to you.

Regards

Paul

Richard Hill  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 17:18
Member (2011)
Spanish to English
SDL TTX It Aug 23, 2011

I am not an experienced Trados user, but only yesterday I was reading about a similar topic and came across this tool: http://www.sdl.com/en/language-technology/sdl-openexchange/AppDetails.aspx?appid=1#tab3

Experienced users will tell me if I've missed the point if this tools will not meet your needs?

"Description

SDL TTX It! is a small and fast tool used for batch conversion of multiple source files into TTX format. SDL TTX It! uses the API from SDL Trados 2007 Desktop Tools to convert the selected source files into TTX in the same way as one would do it manually using Translator’s Workbench."

One review:
"If you don't want to use Trados 2007 anymore, TTX It is the right tool. I still have some clients who want TTX files. It's really easy: convert source files, translate in Studio and send the files back... Provided your segmentation rules are the same as your client's, nothing can go wrong!"

Dan Marasescu  Identity Verified
Romania
Member (2003)
English to Romanian
+ ...
TTX output with no 2007 installed? Aug 23, 2011

Hi Paul, I have a similar problem and I was wondering whether something can be done in Studio if I don't have SDL Trados 2007 installed. Thanks!

SDL Support wrote:

You have (at least) two choices.

1. Prepare the source file as a TTX using SDL Trados 2007 and then translate the TTX in Studio using the TM from the translation of the Word file to help you. You will be able to save the finished file as a TTX this way.
  2. Export your TM from Studio as a TMX, use this to create a TM in SDL Trados 2007, and translate the Word file again in TagEditor.

Regards

Paul

[Edited at 2011-08-23 21:53 GMT]

Mansur Kabirov
Local time: 03:18
Tajik to English
+ ...
Notepad could help with wrong language settings May 13, 2012

I once had an issue with opening a 2007 TTX in Studio 2009 caused by wrong target language setting in the original.

I fixed the issue by opening the TTX in the MS Notepad, finding the target language string and deleting the contents:

SourceLanguage="EN-US" TargetLanguage=""

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

.ttx files and Studio 2009

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search