generate a target *.doc from a bilingual TTX (not having the original source *.doc)
Thread poster: Aude Sylvain
Aude Sylvain  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 16:40
English to French
+ ...
Jan 17, 2011

Hello,

I was sent a bilingual TTX (made from a *.doc file) for review, and asked to send back the revised file under the same format (TTX).
I now need to identify precisely the changes I've made.

I trust the simplest would be to generate two target documents (*.doc) and use MS Word's "compare" feature.

However, neither TagEditor nor Studio would accept to generate such target documents (*.doc).
I have error messages according to which there is no original *.doc in the folder (which is true: I do not have any original *.doc, only the original and amended *.doc.ttx).

Is there any way to achieve this, or is it simply impossible to generate a target*.doc if I do not have the initial source *.doc?

If impossible, is there any other way to compare two versions of a TTX (same source, different targets)?

Thank you in advance

Direct link Reply with quote

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
An option Jan 17, 2011

Indeed, as far as I know you need the original DOC, or better said, the exact DOC the TTX was made from.

However, you might want to open the original TTX file in tageditor, choose the View tab and use copy/paste to put the text in Word. Then do the same with the final TTX file, and compare both resulting DOC files with Word. This is what we sometimes do. I am not sure it is the most efficient method (there are nice compare tools out there who compare Unicode-based files very efficiently), but it is one you can use with the tools you have at hand.

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Use the SDLXLIFF Converter Jan 17, 2011

Hi Aude,

You could open the original TTX in Studio and then generate a bilingual word doc with the converter. Then do the same for the corrected TTX.

Then either compare the two documents as they are or create two new ones, each using only the target column.

Maybe this would do the trick?

Alternatively if you have a decent text editor you could use this to find the changes but it may not be so readable as the text alone in Word.

Regards

Paul

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
No chance to create a doc file then Jan 17, 2011

But maybe the bilingual preview generator from SDL would do you a favor?
http://www.sdl.com/de/company/partners/sdl-openexchange/browse-studio-applications/apps/bilingual-preview-generator.asp

It seems that the corresponding English page is missing for the moment.

Aude Sylvain  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you all! + converter in English Jan 17, 2011

Tomás, that is a great tip, thank you - unfortunately my TTX are full of tags, I tried your method but it's quite difficult to identify the actual text among tags (it gives me a 600-page doc while the original document (source) counts 35-40 pages I think!).

Paul & Jerzy - great minds... I did not know the Converter (bilingual preview generator) worked also with TTX, that's perfect! Many thanks

Edit: Jerzy, the page in English is there - it's a completely different link: http://www.sdl.com/en/language-technology/partners/sdl-openexchange/AppDetails.aspx?appid=2

[Edited at 2011-01-17 17:58 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

generate a target *.doc from a bilingual TTX (not having the original source *.doc)

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search