Problems with PDFs in Trados Studio 2009 Professional
Thread poster: sophie_jane

sophie_jane
Local time: 08:17
German to English
Jan 18, 2011

Hi, I have just upgraded from 2007 to 2009 and was very happy to see that Trados can now deal with PDFs. However, I am having problems with the layout of them and am hoping one you can help.
When I open a PDF document in SDL Trados Studio all of the sentences are split where they were split into columns in the PDF document. How do I make a segmentation rule so that the sentences are gauged as sentences by a full stop or colon etc. and not by a paragraph return?
Also, the PDF contains bullet points which cannot be read by Trados automatically and translates all words on the same line as the bullet point as a jumbled mix of umlaut letters. How do I get Trados to recognise bullet points?

Thanks for the help!

Direct link Reply with quote

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
SDL Studio does have "just" a PDF converter, nothing more Jan 18, 2011

So if you expected wonder, you are yet another marketing victim.
Either use a decent PDF converter or OCR software and then reformat the file manualy or open the file in Studio, then go to File -> Save target as and use this converted Word document for recovering proper formatting.
Do not expect Studio to do the job for you, as it simply cannot,

Marlena Dobosz
English to Polish
+ ...
Mee too Mar 1, 2011

I expected a wonder.... & I won't buy any CAT tool that cannot make wonders given the price of the tools and of every, no matter what tiny, update!!!

[Zmieniono 2011-03-01 15:05 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Problems with PDFs in Trados Studio 2009 Professional

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 only €495 / $595
Get the cheapest prices for SDL Trados Studio 2017 on ProZ.com

Join this translator’s group buy brought to you by ProZ.com and buy SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance for only €495 / $595 / £425 / ¥70,000 You will also receive FREE access to Studio 2019 when released.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search